switching regulator:

Hello,

I am using a buck (step-down) switching regulator ( LM2592HV-5.0,

) in a battery-powered development board. Maximum input voltage is (12V), output voltage is 5V with load current between 100mA and 2A. To be precise, in standby-mode it uses 120mA; in active mode most of time

600mA, but with additional external components connected it may get up to 2A.

My question: Should I design the regulator with the maximum (2A) or the miniumum(100mA) or the typcial (600mA) load current? What are the disadvantages and advantages in designing it with min or max or typical load current?

I have looked at the data sheet and there is nothing there.

I am thankful for any help. JJ

Reply to
JJ

You need to design for the whole range. In the case of something like this that means sizing the inductor (and choosing the chip) for the maximum current, then verifying that the thing will stay in regulation and otherwise work satisfactorily at the minimum current.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Tim Wescott

NOT, you need to design for what you think you want and then take care of what happens when something else tries to exceed it.

Example.

You want one shag a week.... You know that one shag a week kind of keeps the relationship happy and gives you enough time for Xbox and a day down the pub with your mates. You would like to do a bit more of philosiphising down the pub with your mates but there are more variables invoved in that scenario.

Actually, you could do without the shag, bloody hard work, but if you want clean underware without having to pick up the dirty ones then that might be one of the absolute minimum ratings according to the specification.

So it's all sorted. But what if shag day is Wednesday and he also wants one on Thursday?

That's engineering

DNA

Reply to
Genome

"Genome" schreef in bericht news:3SJBg.3931$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe5-win.ntli.net...

Including the deadline of 2-3 days ;)

--
Thanks, Frank.
(remove \'q\' and \'.invalid\' when replying by email)

Tim is right,

Use webbench on the national.com website and put in the max and min battery voltage. A reasonable range for a 12 volts battery is 16 volts down to ~9 volts at full discharge.

model with a min and max current to cover your range and you should be fine.

Reply to
Mook Johnson

Hello Mook,

Yes.

For some reason the design parameters I entered usually resulted in a "can't be done" message. I then calculated them by hand and it's all in production now. So I haven't used WebBench in a while. And probably won't for a while.

I do like their idea with forums. Hasn't become popular though and I wish they had chosen a newsreader compatible format or at least provided one in parallel.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

That's because they don't include "A handful of discretes" as a switcher IC in their WebBench :)

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Tim Wescott

Mook Johnson schrieb:

I tried SMS 6.24 (Switchers Made Simple) the software from national website and it gave me for each current the follwoing values: Vin Max=12V

2A: Cin=68uF Cout=68uF L1=47uH 0.6A: Cin=4.7uF Cout=68uF L1=82uH 0.12A: Cin=2.2uF Cout=22uF L1=330uH

What do I do now? Should I just pick the max current values?

JJ

Reply to
JJ

Yup. use the 2 amp design

Be sure you provide the minimum current to keep it regulated when there is no load on the output.

you can go to the simulator and run a sim with min load and then your max load to see what the input current and output voltages look like.

Reply to
Mook Johnson