Who is your favourite electronics guru?

It was a 556 dual timer in the Commodore 64. The Commodore XIC 20 used a single 555.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Except for the "Buy a $100.00 development system and learn to program it" part.

Thanks! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Oddly enough, what I've noticed is that most of them support the view that the 555 isn't much used in serious circuit design.

Superior for some jobs. And I can - and have - provided a rational explanation of why this is so, but I don't seem to have simplofied it to the point where you can process it.

If you say so John. Now take your medication.

By constructing an argument that you can follow? Life's too short - I'm already 63.

Which would have been very handy - you effectively sustituted for them with your magic diode, which substantially degrades the 555's unimpressive timing stability.

Thats an unstable ..

It wasn't - 5 out of the 30 years, and even there I was working the sub-contacting engineers. You do make a business of pulling non-facts out if thin air.

You wouldn't get very far trying to run a team like that. The closest I got to behaving like that was when one of the junior engineers wanted to turn a TTL-gate into a monstable, and I got him to work out the worst case tolerances on the monostable period - he was quicker at it than you were.

It's not phobic. I've simply learned that checking out the 555 is waste of time.

Yes John.

Which always turns out to be a 555 - funny, that.

As restrictions go, not being allowed to use the 555 would be rather like forbidding fish to cycle.

How, smartass?

It certainly feels that way.

And your example is?

What would you know about it?

Because complex problems, like complex arguments, are beyond you.

MC6802, IIRR

If you say so.

So am I.

--
Bill Sloman, Nijmegen
Reply to

Sure:

Cheers!
Rich
Reply to
Rich the Philosophizer

--
Depends on what\'s meant by serious.

My version of \'serious\' is matching the hardware to the application
and making it bulletproof, and for most of the stuff that shows up
around here where just a simple timer or one-shot or astable is
needed, a 555 of one flavor or another fills the bill admirably and
sends the customer on his happy way.
Reply to
John Fields

In message , dated Mon, 14 Aug 2006, John Fields writes

Since this thread is about a mile long now, and is a dialogue, why not just drop it?

BTW, I've just designed in a CMOS 555. It does exactly the job it needs to do.

2006 is YMMVI- Your mileage may vary immensely.

John Woodgate

Keep an eye out you window. Bill Sloman will soon show up to break you from your evil ways. ;-)

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

As opposed to working out where you have to put the "magic diode" to get the 555 to do what you want when the input and output polarity don't suit your application?

--
Bill Sloman, Nijmegen
Reply to

--
Hmmm... It sounds to me like you\'re finally starting to learn about
the finer points of designing with 555s.  Congratulations!  Soon

Not likely - you don't seem to be aware of the nasty side-effects of the magic diode.

--
Bill Sloman, Nijmegen
Reply to

If there is no such thing as 'will' and we are all puppets of some supreme being, then its His fault that I don't believe in Him.

Real programmers don\'t draw flowcharts.  Flowcharts are, after all, the
illiterate\'s form of documentation.  Cavemen drew flowcharts; look how
much good it did them.
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

I don't believe that there is a Kevin A. Its just Genome's imaginary playmate posting while he's asleep.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Symmetric is a requirement or it would not be interesting.

--
 JosephKK
  --Schiller

Posted about a week ago...

...Jim Thompson

He doesn't believe that people ever actually design circuits, either.

John

There is a family of divide-by-something circuits with square wave outputs that have been making the IFD circuit for decades. Ever popular, they seem to be.

John

Yes; the denial of the concept of 'free will' creates many anomalies. But acceptance of it requires the conclusion that 'mind' can influence 'matter' in the brain. Perhaps it can; not by some unknown metaphysical process, but through an emergent property of the brain, affecting the balance of neurotransmitters.

2006 is YMMVI- Your mileage may vary immensely.

John Woodgate

In message , dated Tue, 15 Aug 2006, Michael A. Terrell writes

No, I've met him. Genome might be HIS imaginary playmate... (;-)

2006 is YMMVI- Your mileage may vary immensely.

John Woodgate

In message , dated Mon, 14 Aug 2006, John Larkin writes

So his writing a SPICE was knowingly a futile exercise?

2006 is YMMVI- Your mileage may vary immensely.

John Woodgate

The 555 can be made to work magic too ;-)

Dave :)

Reply to
David L. Jones