Where do you buy instruments, and who makes 'em?

I need to get a nice audio signal generator. Something that refers back to a crystal, instead of a function generator chip. Preferably something with a DDS and a nice high-accuracy DAC.

I have something hacked together on proto board that worked astonishingly well, all things considered -- but it's still hacked together on protoboard, and only changes frequency with a change of a crystal. Yesterday I hooked the power up backward, and now it doesn't generate a steady frequency at all.

So I'd like to get something with a knob and a case and all that neato stuff, and if it happens to have a USB port and can be talked to with a PC running Linux that'd be a minor but nice addition. If possible I'd like to spend less than $250, but I have no clue what the state of the market is, so I don't know if $250 is reasonable.

So -- when you want to get on the internet and order stuff like this, where do you go? Newark, Mouser and DigiKey all have stuff, but they primarily sell components. Tucker has stuff, but I've heard comments that it's expensive. So if you have a place that you like, that doesn't cost an arm and a leg?

And -- who makes good inexpensive instruments these days? My Beckman Industrial signal generator is a cheap thing that makes a wiggly line on an oscilloscope, and has been doing so reliably since the day I bought it over 20 years ago. I have no complaints about build quality or how long it's lasted -- just how well it has always done its job.

http://www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to
Tim Wescott

I usually start with Tequipment.NET (yes, that's their real DBA name, legacy of the dot-com era I guess) over at

Never had a problem with them and they've got a pretty wide and deep selection of equipment as well as repair parts. Need a replacement pump crank for a Hakko 808 solder sucker? They've got it.

Good prices, good selection.

--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to

Took a while to wait for a usable one at a decent price (sleazebay), but I'm happy with my HP3325A (you'll need a GPIB interface to have a computer talk to it, though - but I'm not doing that at present.) Covers the audio band and above and below for quite a nice distance, in that old-fashioned red LED style. Internal crystal reference, ovenized internal is possible (depends on options), and external reference is also an option if you have a better reference. No knob, though. I tend to figure used working old HP is probably more reliable than new Chinese junque, often for similar money.

YMMV.

Ecnerwal

That's a good point. I tend to either buy used "name" stuff (like Tek or HP), or Chinese stuff with a US label -- because if you care, you _can_ harass the Chinese into making decent stuff.

Of course, my Agilent 54622D came straight from Agilent, and it's probably the best buy that I've ever made. My only beef with it is that the logic analyzer section is really just 16 1-bit scope channels. But I started using that when I started this business, and it comes in handy every time I have a mixed signal board on my bench.

http://www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to
Tim Wescott

Uncased, but is less than $40 US.

Michael A. Terrell

On the bay I see plenty of cheap (less than $25) AD9851 based DDS generator cards intended to be hooked to a microcontroller (which could talk to a USB host). Here are schematics and code examples.

This is a partially diy solution, but can be easily put into a box. Similar ready made products cost a lot more.

I have no idea of the quality of the generated signal though.

Reply to
asdf

Just look on Ebay. Chinese make tons of inexpensive instruments these days.

-- Failure does not prove something is impossible, failure simply indicates you are not using the right tools... nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)

Nico Coesel

HP 3325A. I just paid $223 plus $31 shipping for one on eBay. Plus it goes up to 30 MHz.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

ng

ttdesign.com

We've got a GWinstek SFG2104 and a Protek 8003FD. The GWinstek seems a bit more stable. But the protek has more functionality.

Some stuff we buy direct, and other from Newark.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

I bought this one:

The first unit had a defect but the 2nd one they replaced it with works. I do not know if the control software for its USB link would be compatible with Linux though, you'd have to ask. There is a set of commands in the back of the booklet in case you want to hack it together yourself. But the whole booklet has the usual "Chinese brevity" :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Yup, nice generator, but at a spec'd -65dBc THD in the audio band it fails the "nice high accuracy DAC" requirement though. IN the same league you have the 3325B and 3324A (which unfortunately lacks a service manual).

There's also the 8903A/B audio analyzer with -90dBC THD, but it's a tad more expensive.

--
Thanks,
Fred.

This doesn't exactly meet your price range, but it's an interesting new development:

There's a lot of neat stuff at Saelig. I'm getting tempted to buy one of their $400 range function generators soon.

--
_____________________
Mr.CRC

I've worked with Picoscope but I'm not impressed. Stability is also an issue.

I like this one:

This scope has an 8" 800x600 screen. Most entry level scopes (including Tektronix) don't go beyond 320x240.

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

Do you mean software stability? How bad are we talking? What else was wrong with your experience?

I've never used them, but have been tempted. The only thing that would draw me though, is something that can't be done with traditional scopes, like very good 16-bit digitization for audio range signal analysis.

Definitely a lot for the money. But how many waveforms/second?

--
_____________________
Mr.CRC
crobcBOGUS@REMOVETHISsbcglobal.net
SuSE 10.3 Linux 2.6.22.17
Reply to
Mr.CRC

IIRC the software freezes sometimes. The input's range is limited to

5V and the menus aren't very intuitive. And if you want to see a lot of weird readings turn on the 'enhanced vertical resolution' (which is bogus BTW because you can't get more bits out of an ADC).

If you want to analyze audio you are probably better off with a high end USB sound interface (it isn't a soundcard anymore :-) and a piece of software.

Is that a meaningful number? I have an older Tek TDS500 series and what I like about it is that it shows several acquisitions and freezes for a short moment after a trigger when in 'auto trigger mode'

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

Well, there's always the mass-produced ones. Ipod nano can play two output channels of any kind of audio you can imagine and program. Tones, sine burst, noise burst, FM sweeps... just buy a CD test disk to get started with audio signals.

No knob, though, you gotta use the color touchscreen.

Reply to
whit3rd

This is my third attempt to post this, I've had newsgroup access problems, they seem to have self corrected this morning. I emailed it to Tim, but others may be interested.

Here's a board built in Australia. Seems expensive compared to bare boards others have posted, $145 but maybe it has bells and whistles you'll like. DC to 940Mhz

Homepage;

Mikek

Reply to
amdx

They have some good stuff. It is a bit pricey but not bad if the quality = is=20 good. I'm designing a three-phase USB signal generator. It will = basically be=20 an arbitrary waveform generator with three channels, using EEPROM or = SRAM=20 and a quad DAC. It will be limited to power line frequencies if I use = the=20 PIC crystal oscillator to drive the counter directly, but much higher=20 frequencies can be obtained if I use a VCO and/or a PLL. It's a "back=20 burner" project but I think it may be useful. Maybe these guys would be=20 interested in adding it to their products?

Paul=20

Reply to
P E Schoen

That's the attenuator specs. The synthesizer only goes to 85MHz.

Reply to
John S

Yup, sorry about that, still higher than he needs though. The attenuator steps seem large! Mikek

Reply to
amdx