Who Makes Insignia & Dynex TV's for Best Buy?

Just got the latest Best Buy flyer, Insignia and Dynex tv's at about half the cost of name brands. Any ideas as to who makes these??

Reply to
hrhofmann

get a FCC id number off of one of them and run it in the FCC data base. Might shed some light on the situation.

Bob

Reply to
bob urz

That would mean going out to the store, with the snow predicted for tonite, I'll wait until tomorrow.

Reply to
hrhofmann

Insignia:

U.S. and Canada - 1-877-467-4289 Mexico - 01-800-926-3000

7 a.m. - 12 a.m. CT.

Dynex:

1-800-305-2204 (Monday through Sunday, 7 am - 12am CST) for support in the USA and Canada.
Reply to
Meat Plow

Hi!

Interesting that they are different numbers, both are nothing more than brands run by Best Buy...!

I doubt they'd tell you who is making the sets. There's a good chance that it might be a well known company--Insignia's DTV converter was made by LG and most of their stereo receivers give very strong indications that they were made by Pioneer.

Best thing the OP can do is go to the store and look at the sets to see whose are the most similar. A search for an FCC ID is unlikely to be successful as nearly everyone these days simply prints the "tested to comply with FCC standards" legend on their device.

William

Reply to
William R. Walsh

Probably several different factories in China. Of more importance than who manufactured them is who will repair them after they are out of warranty. 'Name brand' manufacturers such as Sony, Samsung, Mitsubishi, Toshiba, etc have extensive parts and service networks providing support. The house brands are often manufactured with a philosophy that if one fails it will be replaced, not repaired. Any specialized parts are unavailable.

PlainBill

Reply to
PlainBill47

**A friend of mine used to work at Best Buy, she bought one of the Insignia TVs. She *confided* to me: "You know, they're made by LG, so they're really good!" Uh huh. I took it with a grain of salt, but when I read your question, I googled it. Seems like some are made by LG, but I couldn't find a definitive list. There might be a couple of manufacturers. I did get many hits that came up with Insignia being made by LG.

kaboomie

Reply to
kaboom

its just a house brand name. so they can go to any OEM they want and slap the name on it. Just like "realistic" from radio shack.

bob

Reply to
bob urz

Yep. Expect the house brand (especially at Best Buy) to be manufactured by the lowest, most desparate bidder of the season.

Reply to
Allodoxaphobia

almost certainly Vestel. They've been behind a fair amount of low end TVs for the last decade.

Funai made a lot of LCD sets whith house brand badges.

Reply to
Meat Plow