What the heck?

He wanted to be governor. It worked.

That would cost money. For the 1% of their customers, it wasn't worth it.

How about 250 posts, each just under 100K?

Reply to
krw

Yup, and that is sad.

If only 1% of customers use it the cost would be down in the noise. Thing is, if you cut Usenet you are essentially censoring the Internet. By deciding "Oh, our customers don't need to see this stuff. Because we say so". What's next? Cut Youtube access?

My news provider catches that and will then vote you off the island. In fact, they are so good with hosing off spammers and NG abusers that I was able to take out the googlegroups filter. With my previous newsgruop access that repeatedly ended in a flood of NG spam.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

NY deserves him.

The cost is not proportional to the number of people using a service. Usenet feeds are cheap enough that those 1% can go elsewhere.

But that's how binaries work. Multi-part is how large files are handled on the Usenet.

Reply to
krw

Joerg Inscribed thus:

I don't blame him ! I don't let javascript fun either, and I don't use Windlows.

--
Best Regards:
                        Baron.

If it's an on-damand crossfeed then it is usually proportional.

Right, and ultimately the Internet becomes what cable TV has become. 500 channels worth next to nothing.

It is very easy to block people that overtax the system. Set a fair use policy that let people post the occasioanl pics, scope plots, schematics, whatever. But block them when they start uploading a 3GB movie about li'l Ernie doing his first bicycle ride sans training wheels. It's that simple.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

dropped

No, it costs money to set up and administer all that stuff. There are many fixed costs.

It's their view that they're pruning the tree. I really don't blame them. I'd rather they spent money on the pipe. Forget the services. I can buy better elsewhere.

was

The ISPs (and cell phone companies) are about to get their butt handed to them for that.

Reply to
krw

that

Mountains above. One of the very useful things is that you can enable a site for the rest of the session (until you close the browser), you can even revoke the permission on the fly. Limit cookie life to the rest of the session. Then you can browse around, enable only the scripts that make the site work. And a slug of other useful properties. Try it before you dis it.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

I have full JS, cookie and so on control. It takes only milliseconds for a virus. Case in point: I was on a web site looking for tools, required JS. Suddenly after clicking on one link within this (session-permitted) site my PC performed a smoking-tires stop and a serious warning popped up. The firewall-SW prevented something bad from happening. This often happens without the web site owners knowing about it.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Do you use Add-On "NoScript"? ...Jim Thompson

You shouldn't visit "that kind" of site!

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

It was a regular tool place for MEs, not the kind of site you may be thinking about :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Right now "BetterPrivacy" and "QuickJava" (that's the one that allows fairly fine control over what one wants to allow).

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Some sites tend not to be maintained as professionally others, including the kind of site you're thinking about, so they are riskier.

Spehro Pefhany

Well, our church's web site is maintained by a congregation member who is an IT professional in his daily life. My PC is quite well protected. I means that some sites, including EE ones, cannot be visited if they are too messed up by the script kiddies. But oh well, then those companies will simply forego potential design-wins. It's their problem, not mine.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

The best sites don't use (or need) scripts. Mine has NONE >:-} ...Jim Thompson

Absolutamente!

Mine doesn't either and I don't care one bit if people moan about it being primitive. So what? It's bringing in quite some business. Come to think of it, that was the best investment I ever made for my consulting career. All of 80 bucks a year.

I might revamp it a bit some day if I have the time (as if that's ever going to happen). But one things is clear: No scripts, no cookies, and no automatic linking to this, that and the other site.

Ok, ok, except for the girl scout cookies with mint flavor :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Mine were just delivered about an hour ago ;-) ...Jim Thompson

generally

It is good stuff alright. Just a few years ago i had a developing load helping my coworkers setup and manages their machines. That was a standard tool installed ASAP when a new system was purchased. I got a lot of very good help and top SW recommendations from MVPS.org.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk