What microcontroller to buy?

With so many different types of microcontrollers and manufacturers on the market, it is rather difficult to know where to begin.

What I need is something that has the following features:

  • very small in size
  • very low power consumption
  • at least 64 k of storage purely for storing data (this is in addition to my program's space)
  • some sort of interface to connect the microcontroller to a PC (RS232, USB, etc) to allow the microcontroller app to transfer logged data.
  • an interface to communicate with a serial peripheral (RS232 would probably do)
  • low cost or free Integrated Development Environment (IDE) with debugging capabilities
  • low cost or free C or Basic compiler (or some other high level language)
  • low cost hardware kit for flashing the microcontroller and debugging

The applications running on the microcontroller will generally be small. Also, if it isn't possible to have at least 64 k of built-in memory, I can live with adding the memory externally but the enhancement should be easy to do.

Can anyone please make any suggestions on any products / manufacturers that have what I am looking for.

Thank you Johann Blake

Reply to
johannblake

Try the 8052. There are lots of variants but they all share a common basic tion set architecture and instruction set. There are lots of cheap develpment kits around most of which include a free compiler/assembler for programs up to 4K bytes in size.

You could start at

Ian

Reply to
Ian Bell

Sounds like a job for MSP430.

:(

Some versions have 2 serial ports.

Some people have integrated mpsgcc with Eclipse and the jtag debugger, though I use a plain text editor and makefiles. I also tend to use serial for the loader and old- fashioned output lines and printfs to debug.

mspgcc, there are various JTAG interfaces available, or make it yourself (details readily available from mspgcc site).

Depends how quickly you need to access the data. Perhaps a serial EEPROM will do the job.

Paul Burke

Reply to
Paul Burke

If you get an AT91SAM7S128 you get USB and Mass Storage Code which uses the internal Flash as file storage.

64 Pin LQFP (QFN-64 coming)

By connecting to the PC; you can drag and drop the log data. Probably you will get about 100 kB data here. A possibility would be to add a small (SO-8) Dataflash externally on the SPI bus. This would allow between 1-64 MBit Data. One of the problems with using on chip flash for storage is that you must not write the flash while executing out of it. You will require a chip which either stops executing while programming the flash or has an additional memory area from where you can execute. The AT91SAM7S128 has 32 kB of SRAM which can be used to store both program and data. Upgrading to an AT91SAM7S256 will allow even more data and 64 kB SRAM for program and data.

The IAR C compiler is free of charge for up to 32 kB C-Code (you can link more assembly code) There is a low cost dev kit from

or you can get the Atmel one. Atmel also supplies a JTAG Emulator (SAM-ICE) at low cost.

--
Best Regards,
Ulf Samuelsson

You have not said what you are logging ? Using CODE space for data storage is expensive, and inflexible,so use

8 pin SPI memory. After that, almost any uC with a UART will do - if you want to log analog, then select a uC that has a matching ADC. Look at Silabs ToolStick, uses their C8051F300 series, or their C8051F064DK, depending on your volumes.

-jg

Reply to
Jim Granville

PS. Please cross-post (the same posting to (a few) multiple groups) rather than multi-posting (copies of the message to multiple groups).

--
Rich Webb   Norfolk, VA
Reply to

The Renesas M16C familly is having low power members with enough on chip code and data flash and all the periphals you are after. Also the other requierements are IMHO met. Use their product selector page to decide which chip out of this familly meets your requierements best.

Many distributors around the globe produce eval boards and also Renesas is producing their own low cost eval boards. They usually come along with an downlaodable debugger (KD30) and a free C compiler which is suficient for what you need.

HTH

Markus

Reply to
Markus Zingg

You mentioned that the IAR C compiler is free of charge. I couldn't find any information about this on IAR's web site nor could I even find a download for just the compiler. Can you provide more information please.

Thanks Johann

Reply to
johannblake

skrev i meddelandet news: snipped-for-privacy@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

Yes, if you dont know what you are looking for you would have a hard time... Link to the SAM7 Kickstart kit

Check for the ARM Kickstart edition.

Best Regards,
Ulf Samuelsson

> Thanks
> Johann

Reply to
Ulf Samuelsson

MCF5282 eval board from axman.com

*< 1w *64k ram on chip + flash *rs232, CAN Ethernet *gdb from ocdemon.com with insight tcl/tk wrapper *gcc *$149 wiggler cable for flashing microcontroller and debugging
Reply to
Kadir Solid Gold Suleyman

I very much would not recommend using any 8051 variant, considering what is now available. Those are very inefficient processors that offer nothing other than their ubiquity.

The MSP suggested below is a good choice for low power apps, but runs at >

Reply to
Andrew

Is there a MSP430 with USB ? - plenty of 80C51 variants with USB, at

1/12/480Mbd.....

Also, you'll find SPI _and_ UART are sparse/non existant on the smaller MSP430's

-jg

Reply to
Jim Granville

First, please do not top post.

Second the 8051, despite its age, is still the most used 8 bit microcontroller. It is not inefficient - it has many bit level instructions ideal for embedded applications and the fastest variants are capable of 100 MIPS.

Ian

Reply to
Ian Bell

Whick 80c51 variant has 480Mb ??