what enclosure to use ?

Hi All

I built a super-regen radio and want to enclose this in a box of some sort. I have two options -

  1. Plastic box
  2. Aluminium Box

Now I want to listen to this radio when I am sitting next to my computer. I know that the best option is to use the aluminium box as it provides the best sheilding. However I dont understand how that will help, when the antenna will be protruding out of the box and therefore the radiation from the computer will be picked up from the antenna regardless of which box I use. Is this a correct assumption ? so should i just stick to plastic box ?

Thanks Shelton.

Reply to
Archimedes

I read somewhere that magnetic metals (i.e. - ferrous) are much more effective in shielding from RF, and electro-magnetic interference in general, than non-magnetic metals like aluminum and copper. But not having been formally educated in this stuff, I'm having trouble coming up with an explanation for why that might be true. Can you shed light on this?

Reply to
George

This is pretty easy to test before you build. The plastic case is about the same as nothing for RF, so just place your naked radio where you want it to be and see what happens. If that's acceptable, go with plastic. If not, and you want to see if aluminum would make any difference, try this trick: Put the naked circuit in a cardboard box that is about the size of the alumimun box you are considering. Then wrap the carboard with aluminum foil, making sure you have crimped all seams to get good contact. Use an alligator clip or even a screw and nut to connect to this any ground you want to test,

Best regards,

Bob Masta DAQARTA v3.50 Data AcQuisition And Real-Time Analysis

Scope, Spectrum, Spectrogram, FREE Signal Generator Science with your sound card!

Reply to
Bob Masta

To be a good shield, the material has to be several skin depths thick at the frequency being shielded. High conductivity thins the skin depth, but so does high permeability. So if the ferrous metal has a permeability (at the frequency in question) that more than offsets its higher resistivity, then it will need less thickness to provide the same shielding.

Regards,

John Popelish
Reply to
John Popelish