what product to use?

I have a 9/16" threaded shaft which screws into a socket. The threaded shaft seems to be plated with chrome or nickel. The socket seems to be a stainless or aluminum alloy of some sort. The threaded shaft has "set" in the socket, and doesn't want to unscrew. As of yet, I don't want to force it, as I think something would get damaged.

What is the best product to spray onto the joint area and let sit repeatedly to help loosen the "set" that's been taken?

Reply to
RB

Does the joint look corroded? or is there evidence of a locking compound like Loctite or similar.

Greg.

Reply to
Greg

Not knowing where the socket is may well mean you cant do this but if it's possible I would heat the socket and put some torque on the shaft at the same time.

--
Regards ......... Rheilly Phoull
Reply to

No indication of corrosion or locktite.

Unfortunately, the socket is in a plastic housing, so heat would be detrimental and/or damaging to the unit.

Thanks for the thoughts. I'm going to have to chemically loosen it and then screw the shaft out.

Reply to
RB

Hello,

When working on vintage cars, I've had good luck with a product called 'PB Rust Catalyst - Fabulous Blaster' which can be found at hardware stores and auto parts stores. I have found it much more effective than WD-40 (which really isn't intended for this anyway) or Liquid Wrench.

However, BE CAREFUL with the plastic. While I'm sure that any of the products I've mentioned won't damage nylon bushings, they may contain solvents that might damage the unspecified plastic used in the housing, especially if gentle warming with a hair dryer will damage it.

Regards, Tim Schwartz Bristol Electronics

Reply to
Tim Schwartz

Spray the shaft with freezer spray, trying to keep it away from the socket.

Ron(UK)

Reply to
Ron(UK)