What the heck?

What is some heathen trying to slip to me via "encoded html"?

See....

Subject: What the heck? - PP-658-119-347.htm Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2013 12:14:57 -0700 Message-ID: ...Jim Thompson

-- | James E.Thompson | mens | | Analog Innovations | et | | Analog/Mixed-Signal ASIC's and Discrete Systems | manus | | Phoenix, Arizona 85048 Skype: Contacts Only | | | Voice:(480)460-2350 Fax: Available upon request | Brass Rat | | E-mail Icon at

A nice li'l rootkit maybe :-)

Sorry, TB won't work with such links.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Crikey, you sure are neutered (or is it spayed >:-}

The link is to an A.B.S.E newsgroup posting, so I could make an attachment. ...Jim Thompson

Binaries are gone for me since years. Neither AT&T nor my news provider carry them.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

So you've been spayed ?>:-} ...Jim Thompson

There are lots of news providers that support binary files. Like GigaNews. Individual newsgroups often decide to forbid binary files, to reduce the rate of infection.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joe Gwinn

Thanks to some overzealous AG in New York nearly all US providers dropped them. Binaries are de facto history because whatever you disseminate there can only be read by a handful of people.

But be careful out there. Lots of people have contracted nasty PC viruses, and with some of them you may not know for months.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

giganews still has binaries, but A.B.S.E has become pretty much unused, so I might be just as well off to drop back to Cox' freebee.

I'm clean, I don't let anything run any kind of script. ...Jim Thompson

Didn't Cox drop Usenet altogether?

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Yeah, that's one reason why I didn't even bother looking for a provider with binaries. Given the non-growth in regular NG participation, the binaries at least in the technical sector are doomed. New kids do not even know what Usenet is.

That is not at all a guarantee against rootkits. They also can generally not be found by anti-virus software.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

That's possible. I need to check. ...Jim Thompson

-- | James E.Thompson | mens | | Analog Innovations | et | | Analog/Mixed-Signal ASIC's and Discrete Systems | manus | | Phoenix, Arizona 85048 Skype: Contacts Only | | | Voice:(480)460-2350 Fax: Available upon request | Brass Rat | | E-mail Icon at

New kids don't even know math, science or facts.

I don't let anything run means just that... not even html E-mail; and attachments can't run automatically. ...Jim Thompson

But they vote and the results are clearly visible :-(

You don't even let Javascript run? Shazam! And then _you_ think _I_ am retro?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

On a case-by-case basis I'll activate it... but it's off by default. That way I can't stumble into disaster by accident if I follow a mal-link.

I don't even allow Digikey, L-Com, Newark, etc, except on a "Temporarily Allow" basis ;-) ...Jim Thompson

Easy for an IC guys. As a circuit designer one simply cannot do that.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

The actions by the NY AG were a convenient excuse at a convenient time.

My ISP (in the UK) dropped binary usenet around the same time, but were honest about the reason: usenet bandwidth was over a terabyte a day at that point, and less than 1% of their customers actually used usenet.

"Binaries" had gone from still pictures, to heavily compressed low-resolution video, to full-resolution video, to raw DVD images, and was even starting to feature raw Blu-Ray images at 25 GB each.

Reply to
Nobody

provider

freebee.

provider

not

generally

Sounds a lot like me. NoScript and Ghostery are my favorite add-ons/plug-ins.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

generally

and

am

Sure you can. But for the fine grained control you need a browser that supports add-in like NoScript. Then such control is quick and easy.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

And then lots of functions on the sites you need no longer work. Great.

Of course I have turn-off buttons for JS and stuff. But that's no guarantee that a virus can't sneak into a legit site and into a PC.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

I believe the guy wanted the usual publicity stunt. I do not like some other actions of his either, for other reasons.

That's a lame excuse. They could have contracted an "as-needed" link to another server, cheaply.

Ok, but what would prevent them from ditching posts over, say, 100k? I suggested that to my news provider. No dice :-(