Some What OT: Schooling

Hello Everyone,

I would like to start schooling into Electronic Eng. Tech.. I have about

12-15 credits, 4.0 GPA.

I have investigated On-line schooling, trade schooling, a straight shot into a Bachelors degree at a university, and an Associates degree program at my community college. After thinking things through, the best option for me and my circumstances at the moment seem to be the Associates degree at the comm. college.

My question; Those are the avenues I have investigated so far, Does anyone see, or know of any that I have missed that I might try ?

Wayne

Reply to
Wayne

Some community colleges have articulation agreements with 4-year schools. The advantage is that you won't be "screwed" out of credits if you later decide to pursue the B.S.

Many engineering professionals have used the community college system for their first two years. It is a very viable approach.

On-line degrees are shaky, at best.

Reply to
Charles

Thank You for the quick reply Charles. That's one for the comm. college.

I liked the on-line program, being able to do it when I wanted and how fast. Problem, almost twice the cost. Now you say their shaky.

Again, Thanks,

Wayne

Reply to
Wayne

Can't comment directly because I received my education in Europe, very different system. But as a guy who sometimes decides who is hired and who isn't I recommend getting as much hands-on experience under your belt as you can. Design stuff, build stuff, repair stuff. Build up a little lab at home if you don't have that already. Resist the temptation to just program or do everything on the computer. If you work up a good knowledge base in analog design you'll have plenty of job opportunities.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

I mean by that (shaky), that many employers will be dubious about your resume and that additional education can become a problem (due to non-recognition of on-line credits and degrees). Investigate!

Reply to
Charles
[snip]

I don't think he meant 'shaky' in the sense that they're shady or untrustworthy; it's just that employers may not regard them as highly when hiring. There's a certain taint of 'diploma mills' when it comes to any online accreditation, and employers may just decide 'better safe than sorry'.

I'm not an HR person, and YMMV.

Reply to
Randy Day

Depending on what you have to start with, getting hired someplace that will give you training on the job, and/or pay for training. More likely with large employers than small, on average. Harder to find (or get started with) these days than in the past, but still possible.

Meantime, I'd suggest getting a copy of Win's (and Paul's, but he doesn't seem to hang out here, and Win does) book, and not merely "reading" it, but stopping and working all the problems as you read through it. Better if you also get some basic equipment and go hands on, but even without that a good start - if you stop and work the examples.

Ecnerwal

Thank You Everyone for your Helpful advise.

I think I got the idea about on-line programs being shaky, but Thank You for making it more clear. I have a small electronics bench I experiment on. I have learned a lot there. I am interested in analog circuits. I would like to get into radio communications, I think. I have seen Art of Electronics. I will try to get a used copy somewhere. At any rate, you have helped me make up my mind. I am going to go the Comm. College, Assoc. Degree route.

You all have been Great. Thank You Again,

Wayne

Reply to
Wayne

Excellent. Keep that up.

One of the actual hams can point you better, but since you want to get into radio, I believe that the ARRL has a number of books you might want to get. One possibility is to borrow those and the AoE from a library, if funds are low, as they usually are in student days.

Ecnerwal

Good point.

To Wayne: Get the ARRL Handbook. It's not expensive and a must for any serious RF designer. An older copy is ok as well but you can really only find those at ham fests. Don't wait.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Joerg,

Thank You and Everyone.

I got an ARRL Handbook. It is great. I was able to get a paperback copy of the 2007 edition for about $5.00 less then the 2008 ed. We want to save every penny, now don't we. Now I have a good book to curl up with at nights for a little while. :-)

Reply to
Wayne

Look into Sinclair Community College in Dayton Oho. They have online courses and are a quality program. They also have a great reputation

Reply to
electroubleshooter

Look into Sinclair Community College in Dayton Oho. They have online courses and are a quality program. They also have a great reputation

Thanks. I'll check it out.