the

critical

the

is

race

clever

of

Unless they are edge-triggered.

Sometimes a transparent latch can eliminate a full clock of pipeline delay. They are also a handy way of crossing clock boundaries in some situations. But they blaspheme The Church Of Synchronous Design.

We mostly ignore the Xilinx warnings. A good, tight design can throw a thousand or so.

John

results

at the

critical

perhaps the

instruction

stress is

out

avoid race

clever

the

college

"meat" of

but I

There is expensive software that will take VHDL and create a schematic, apparently for people who aren't sure what they have designed. The output I've seen looks like something one of my cats would cough up.

It's tragic that there is not an industry-standard ascii format to express schematics, like the LT Spice thing.

John

results

the

critical

perhaps the

stress is

race

clever

the

of

Then they're flip-flops. ;-)

No, only if the groundrules specify edge-triggered FFs. All IBM (bipolar) mainframes used latch pairs or PHs ("latches" and "triggers") as their register elements, and most is strictly synchronous. Even the CMOS versions use latches, though they're better hidden. ;-)

I guess maybe! They throw so many it's impossible to ferret through them to find the ones that will bite, and there are many. Decent software would have the warning messages switchable by class, type, and instance to allow the dangerous ones shine through the fog.

--
Keith
Reply to

message

the results

further at the

the critical

perhaps the

instruction

topic stress is

design out

avoid race

various clever

(like the

college

"meat" of

--, but I

combinatorial

I've used such things[*] but never found one that was useful for anything more than very small bits of logic. Synplicity had one a decade ago that would show either logical or technology views. Both were very useful to learn what language constructs produced what sorts of logic, but totally useless for anything more.

[*] A truth table can simply be expressed as a CASE so the tool can do its thing.
--
Keith
Reply to

the results

further at the

critical

perhaps the

instruction

stress is

out

avoid race

various clever

(like the

college

"meat" of

but I

You should swat your cats. One of ours has a "sensitive stomach" and spits up its food regularly but has never made a mess like that.

Until you can see what synthesis produces these tools are important in learning how to herd the cats.

VHDL is pretty standard. ;-)

--
Keith
Reply to

results

at the

critical

perhaps the

instruction

stress is

out

race

clever

the

college

"meat" of

but I

Those are called "fatal errors."

John

results

at the

critical

perhaps the

instruction

stress is

out

avoid race

various clever

the

college

"meat" of

but I

No, "fatal errors" are those that will prevent synthesis. Many "warnings" will tell you that you are producing trash, but producing it nonetheless. Ignoring warnings is dumb, but hardly criminal given that one important needle may be lurking among a large pile of useless hay. I always pick through all warning messages at least once before a design review (it should be a requirement of said design review).

Reply to
krw

results

the

critical

the

stress is

race

clever

of

Way back in the late 1960's i remember seeing the equivalent circuits for ttl master slave flip flops and edge triggered flip flops. The circuits were very different and the described action was very different as well. In particular if you had a longish clock input on the master slave it would not change the output until the clock went back to the rest state; whereas the edge triggered would always change within some x number of nanoseconds regardless of the level on the clock input. (Assuming setup and hold conditions were met.)

Reply to
JosephKK