What are these electronilc parts

What are the devices in these two parts of a schematic

On the left is probably the lighting for the 2005 Solara trip computer. The schematic calls it the Upper Console Panel Sub-Assembly which I think is the part above the radio (but the schematic lists the clock illumination separately and makes no reference to the outside thermometer, so that just lives the sort-of trip computer.)

I understand the LEDs but why zener diodes, and another diode (since there is 12V DC at the top and ground at the bottom)?

On the right is almost all of what the Toyota wiring manual calls the combination meter, meaning the speedometer and other meters in the instrument cluster. I aassume the "rheostat" is the thing it has to adjust the brightnees, that the LED (or more than one) provides the light, but what are the strange things at the bottom and to the right.

They look like they are connected to transisors, but they have the 3 vertical lines, one of which in each set has a left-point arrow.

The manual has a list of symbols and it has LED, photodiode and zener diode, but not the strange things in that picture.

BTW, was this an appropriate post for Imgur? Most of their posts sseem to be more entertaining.

I though I had flickr and instagram but I can't find the login info. I don't understand all this computer stuff.

Reply to
micky

Too bad you have me blocked, but so it goes.

Reply to
rbowman

The zeners take over when a LED fails open circuit. The other LED then still gives some light. The middle and bottom diodes protect against polarity reversal (one would have been enough, but probably there are two identical assemblies in ssries).

Reply to
Arie de Muijnck

It's not a electronics schematic, it's a electrical wiring diagram for auto mechanics. There is a lot that Toyota have chosen not to display, lest you not buy their spare parts as complete modules. But they have given you a general sense of what they do.

Zener diodes to avoid spikes killing the LED, reversed biased they will clamp the voltage to a maximum.

The other diode is reverse polarity protection, as generated by spikes, faults or mildly idiotic users.

N-Channel Mosfets.

vertical lines, one of which in each set has a left-point arrow.

Try a post to sci.electronics.basics

The actual reality, choice of parts etc... is up to Toyota.

For displaying pictures for us, certainly. Preferable to the other two.

If you don't understand "two factor authentication / two step verification", I'd step very carefully on the internet, and close down what you don't use.

As far as I'm concerned, Instagram is for kids.

--
Adrian C
Reply to

On Tue, 13 Apr 2021 21:57:37 -0600, rbowman posted for all of us to digest...

You mean those things that blow up when they are backfed?

--
Tekkie
Reply to

Umm.