What are they teaching these days?

The side-track about performing analog with digital electronics on Eric's strain-gauge thread made me wonder.

Are they teaching any analog in schools these days?

Because there's a huge market out there for analog functions that can be satisfied cheaply with properly applied microprocessors -- but in order to properly apply the microprocessor, you not only have to understand analog, you have to wrap the thing with analog circuits.

I know that I can do this, because of a somewhat peculiar combination of skills and experience, but is anyone getting any training in this?

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

The universities are certainly not teaching how to think or how to use basics and build on them.

I'm seeing an alarming number of RFQ's where their existing discrete circuit is right out of some textbook, with way too many unnecessary parts. ...Jim Thompson

I went and checked the courses offered in the AAS program at the local technical college. It's heavy on robotics, PLCs and motor control. But it does have one class called Analog Circuits:

ETEC1521 - Analog Circuits The primary goals of this course are to help individuals acquire the knowledge and skills required to analyze and troubleshoot electronic equipment comprised of semiconductor devices and circuits. Individuals will apply these skills through problem solving, simulation, and laboratory exercises and projects.

Student Learning Outcomes: ? Draw and read basic schematic diagrams. ? Identify semiconductor components and terminal connections. ? Remove and replace components on a two sided printed circuit board. ? Test regulated and unregulated power supplies. ? Troubleshoot and repair power switching circuits. ? Troubleshoot and test opto electric devices. ? Identify and apply appropriate safety procedures.

So you asked: "but is anyone getting any training in this?" Around here, not so much.

Reply to
Mark Storkamp

I was thinking about the university level, but yes, that seems to be pretty light weight.

Don't these people know that robots run on analog circuits?

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services