Weather station

Hi,

I hope I have the right group as I have no idea where I could post this question.

I was interested in building a weather station with a thermometer, barometer, rain gauge etc.

I was interested in building some sort of a connection from this station which would be outdoors to my computer where the results could be tabulated into graphs for each day of the year.

I would eventually hope that this info could be displayed on a website and automatically updated every 10 minutes.

I know nothing about electronics, if that helps.

Thanks for your suggestions

Tom

Reply to
Tom

"Tom"

** Then you had better find someone who can build the electronics for you.

Silicon Chip magazine published a " Solar Powered Wireless Weather Station " project in December 2004 - aka Picaxe Weather Station.

Had temp and humidity only.

Use a radio modem or send data to a PC.

......... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Why re-invent the wheel? It's already being done by the govmnt.

Reply to
two bob

"two bob"

** Huh ?

What government invented the wheel ?

......... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Internet connected Personal Weather Stations are getting popular, apparently fairly trivial to connect to other weather stations out there and websites like Weatherunderground, so you can share with everyone. This is a good place to start for info:

This guy for example has one in Woodford in the Blue Mountains:

You can see all the ones around a local region at the bottom of the weatherzone site, like Sydney:

Dave :)

Reply to
David L. Jones

If you're really serious you'll also need a hygrometer, an anemometer and possibly a radiometer and UV sensor.

Then you'll also need a data logger and appropriate software.

Mine does all that, straight out of the box. :)

In which case there's probably far more rewarding electronic projects to cut your teeth on, particularly given the vast number of automatic weather stations already available at very competitive prices -- and far cheaper than the basic components needed for a DIY job. The economics would probably be similar to building your own TV set vs a bought one.

Mine's a wireless Davis Vantage Pro, which costs around $1,100, complete with data logger and software, but you can also get other brands with similar features, but not necessarily the durablity and accuracy, from around $400 (La Crosse is a popular one). Davis, also offer much cheaper models if you don't want all the features up front. Quality is uniform throughout their range.

Ecowatch, at Kilsyth, Vic, will supply a catalogue and price list on request. AFAIK they don't have a website

The weather newgroups are... alt.talk.weather... sci.geo.meteorology... uk.sci.weather

Personal weather stations are a regular topic on all of them. The UK NG is the most active.

--
John H
Reply to

Why does every ng have more than it's fair share of clowns. After all this is a ng not a bloody circus

Reply to
two bob

I just purchased one from Dick Smith. A friend by the name of Andy Keir writes software for a few models, including the one I use so do a google search on his name for his website or Davis is a well known company that makes them as well.

Reply to
Tsunami Australia

"Tsunami Australia"

** Cool:

Only a mere $ 725 inc.

........ Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Why does every ng have more than it's fair share of clowns. After all this is a ng not a bloody circus

****Well you could have fooled me!!! I thought you must have been the chief clown given that your statement above is utterly unambiguous (and has atrocious spelling) and yet here you are lampooning a perfectly valid response! Ironic,is it not?

Brian Goldsmith.

Reply to
Brian Goldsmith

"two bob"

** Every NG has more than it fair share of many things.
** OK - but it does come quite close to meeting the famous " PT Barnum Criterion " re the time interval that elapses between one wanker posting a pile of completely inane drivel and the next.

I can see you are doing your little bit to make old PT happy.

........ Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

If you consider buying rather than building then Ecosolutions :

do one for ~$479+gst.

Has wireless link to Wind dir / speed / temp / rh / rainfall instruments. Touchscreen LCD control / readout / logger unit.

S/w included for PC connection - has some weather prediction tools.

I haven't seen one, just heard about them.

rob

tabulated

Reply to
Rob

I got an old Oregon Scientific WM918 when they were available for just over $400 which has the computer connection and all the info needed for the tables and graphing. I'm not sure if the new u-beaut wireless one has a computer uplink ability though.

Reply to
Tsunami Australia

You misunderstood him- the gov'mnt re-invented the wheel. :-)

Ken

Reply to
Ken Taylor

Hmmmm, Ironic,is it not?

Reply to
The Real Andy

If you are in australia,

seems to do the trick. Failing that, i think you can even dial into the bom, or at least you used to be able too.

If you want to get real tricky, try this place

cause he does all you want, why i dont know, but whatever turns you on..

Reply to
The Real Andy