Verizon Dumping Usenet Servers

Fry's. Amazon.

Name a title, and you can likely find it.

Reply to
life imitates life

Try getting a block account with someone like usenet-news, newsdeamon, or astraweb. Unless you collect videos online it is hard to use up 5 GB.

Reply to
JosephKK

hospitals

I give up on him. I looked at the web page he pointed to and yes, those photos are not three feet apart. The TELCO hardware is a complete different type that what I've seen. The pole mounted loading coils were not used in high ice areas. They were hung under their trunkline, a little over a foot below the strand. They were six inches in diameter, and would have touched the CATV trunkline. The examples on that web page can not be serviced by ladder. Talk about a lot of expensive trucks. Everyone has to have a bucket truck, instead of one or two for the entire system, of each company. It would be a nightmare to restore service after a severe storm. You can get 100 trained subcontractors with ladders there overnight. Try to scrap together 100 people with fully equipped bucket trucks that can spare them. It was a steady stream of line buckets into this area for weeks after each hurricane to replace damaged poles, and hardware. They were brought in from all over the country, and left some cities with almost no repair capabilities for over a month. One bucket truck flipped over on north bound I-75 a few miles north of here as the crew was leaving for home, and killed all four men.

This area is served by fiber optics to within a mile of your home, and 99% of the TELCO plant is underground, while the CATV is still on strand.

Also, he complains about replacing covers on CATV property, and also claims the CATV trunk is lashed to the strand. He must have very long arms to reach that strand mounted hardware.

I just talked to someone that moved from Cincinnati, Ohio a few months ago, where I did the CATV work. He is an electrician, and he assured me that the CATV strands were three feet below the Telco lines, just like I remembered them. I should know the spacing. We had to pay for around 100 new poles, or the difference in price from the existing size to build plant extensions. We had to pay for the poles, and then pay a monthly fee per pole to use them. The only breaks we got were when a pole was within two years of being replaced, or a new pole could be reused, somewhere else.

Here in Florida, the homeowner has to pay for the service pole on their property, and all maintenance. It can only be used for the AC drop, and to mount a security light. If it needs replaced, they shut off your electric, till you set a new pole.

Michael A. Terrell

I know. Stone tablets. Chisels, and a Trebuchet.

Michael A. Terrell

You honestly want to make someone set a ladder there? With trucks roaring by and all that? You've got to be kidding. Out here OSHA would shut a business down the millisecond they see that.

And that is less expensive than a bucket truck?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

other

agency?

hospitals

equipment

OSHA never had a problem with ladders, when used properly. You set them form the other side of the strand. Then you only need a bucket truck to change bad moduiles, or to so a proof of perfomance. Routine installs are easy with a ladder, and is needed at the customer's house anyway. You don't want 7,000 pound bucket truck to drive through your yard, do you?

By a factor of four or more. The trucks cost more. They use more fuel. They need more repiars, the insurance is higher, and they are in more accidents from drivers who don't pay attention to the parked bucket truck with the safety cones and strobelights. Some states require a CDL for a bucket truck, which means higher pay or you lose them to a trucking company.

Michael A. Terrell

Stone tablets and chisels are boring, but those trebuchets are a blast. ;-)

Reply to
krw

I am from Cincinnati, and the entire county is wired up with the spacings mentioned.

I wired a lot of it myself.

I am surprised that I am not dead from the PCB coated telephone poles I have hugged over the years.

Instead, all my family members around me have died. Many were athletic, which I would not technically qualify as for 30 years running now.

Yet I am the one that seems to be cancer resistant.

Unless I am just fooling myself, and have not as yet discovered my condition.

(picture the neck twitch guy as he says "I'm the sanest guy in the whole shop" twitch twitch).

Reply to
Mycelium

Oh, that was you I seen the other day!

Reply to
Jamie

You are lucky I didn't "go coastal" "on you". (that's where I leave work, and go down to the beach and have a beer).

Reply to
Mycelium

They give a whole new meaning to 'Incoming mail'. ;-)

Michael A. Terrell

airplanes come

hundreds of

and so on. One

calibration of

certifications are

a certain

TV business?

plant with

Either

patient,

priori

will be

console

_That's_ how

professions and

be

the

enter the

companies

cable

of

management, and

who builds

of

very

the

simplest

when

the

as well.

leak in a

systems have

from 10

emergency

modify your

cable

is

of

the

the

=20

=20

=20

can

are on

on

with.

by

at

be

=20

Getting the county supes to do anything honest like that? Are you out of your mind?

be

not

UL2601,

same

=20

Reply to
JosephKK

other

agency?

Idiot. Elected politicians are only out for themselves, diligence be damned. That is for us proles.

=20

=20

hospitals

equipment

=20

Reply to
JosephKK

lower,=20

and=20

and=20

2009,=20

will=20

is

You=20

100k.=20

nowadays=20

one=20

=20

Which web based forums do you think is of interest to most of s.e.d?

Reply to
JosephKK

[...]

You seem to have worked in areas with weird (and expensive) installations. In our area they put the poles where they are the most practical, meaning along the streets. Not in backyards.

Yesterday during the dog walk I looked up at the installations a lot. They were exactly as I said, not with 3ft distance.

[...]
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

You mean 3ft between telco and cable TV? That doesn't make any sense to me.

I've hugged some poles as well but they weren't PCB coated, just creosoted at the bottom AFAIR. This was in Europe where they didn't have steps mounted into them. You had to don the irons.

[...]
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Poles? Isn't that someone from Poland ?:-)

In my neighborhood we have no poles... _everything_ is underground.

...Jim Thompson

[...]

Same here. But our dog walks take us into areas with above-ground distribution. Except for very few poles (a connector line) they are all along streets. It boggles my mind how someone could possibly use a ladder there. Can you imagine being up there on a ladder while down below you the propane truck barrels through, followd by some kid in a Honda low-rider yapping on his cell phone?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Telephone linemen used ladders by the road for decades. Most cities were laid out with plenty of room to work safely on ladders. They aren't using cheap extension ladders, but ones designed to hook over the strand so it is more vertical. That reduces the load on the strand and cables. Evey place I had to use a ladder was at least four feet from the pavement. I have never seen cable TV run through rear right of ways, but some WW-II era subdivisions had the right of way behind the homes to hide them from the street. They made an alley between the rows of homes for utilites and garbage trucks. It is quite logical, but you refuse to think outside your box.

Michael A. Terrell

New poles are pressure treated. I haven't seen a pole with steps in over 40 years. I have seen a few wood poles used for antennas with them, but they were fairly decayed. Climbing hooks replaced them to keep kids and morons from getting hurt. They should have just posted signs stating that their relatives would have to pay cleanup costs when they climned, and fell.

Michael A. Terrell