usenet providers

Just synced ForteAPN and AstraWeb on the same message in this group. =46orte shows 210 unread and Astraweb shows 383 unread. Completeness advantage Astraweb. Astraweb has more newsgroups also.

Reply to
JosephKK

And many, many more spammers. I block astraweb, except for a few white-listed folk.

...Jim Thompson

| 1962 | I love to cook with wine Sometimes I even put it in the food

Anybody care to educate me about usenet servers and downloading.

I'm looking at Asteaweb's Pay-by Download.

25 GB for $10 or 180GB for $25

My pattern is; I use Outlook express and I look at about 13 groups. I have two computers, so in the morning I'll look at many of those 13, later in the day I'll us my laptop to download again to see if anything new has come up. Then again in the evening I'll look again. Daily. The Pay-by Download Faq says " Only article bodies are counted towards your downloads! Headers etc. are not counted towards your downloads." I don't have a clue how to find the bandwidth I use, but I suspect it's not much. Any guidance appreciated, well maybe except telling me not to use Outlook express :-) Thanks, Mike

Reply to
amdx

I use the Forte $3 a month service. And an old version of Agent. Seems to work fine.

John

Unless you download binaries, 25GB will last you a lifetime. Or, at least, it will last you so long that by the time it runs out, prices will be down to $10 for 25TB (and $10 will buy a pack of chewing gum; but the US will

*still* have $1 notes ;) ).

Most text messages are 1KB-2KB. A really long message deep in a thread where no-one bothered to snip anything might be 20KB. So 25GB is a few million text messages.

Reply to
Nobody

Racist!

Reply to
Robert Baer

Since it costs 10x what I pay for news.individual I'll give it a miss

--
Dirk

Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

I wouldn't know, having only met personally Win, Spehro, and Steve (Goldstein). But it would not surprise me at all that there are black white-listed folk AND white black-listed folk. So there !-)

...Jim Thompson

Late at night, by candle light, John Larkin penned this immortal opus:

Same here, have been using it for a couple of years now, and no complaints. Xananews and Grabit for binnies and a _very_ old Agent for text.

- YD.

--
File corruption detected. Select option:
1 - Call the cops

Remove HAT if replying by mail.
Reply to
YD

Almost as funny as my statement. Good comeback!

Reply to
Robert Baer

anything

it's=20

Outlook=20

least,

down

You could probably add a.b.s.e in without changing the metric much.

--=20 Transmitted with recycled bits. Damnly my frank, I don't give a dear

Reply to
JosephKK