Verizon Dumping Usenet Servers

Why? And not by 3ft, I assume.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Distance to the top (power) level, yes. But again, I can't imagine the power company demanding that the phone guys stay 3ft away from the cable TV guys. Because that can make street crossings impossible, the cable guys won't sign the attachment, and the power utility would have left money on the table.

[...]
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

In case they have monopoly status in your area they will likely do absolutely nothing for you in this matter. Because they know you either buy at the company store or pay through the nose for alternatives, if any.

[...]
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Stick to designing medical equipment. The system works, and no money is left on any table. You've never hung strand or coax, then used a lasher that requires a couple feet of clearance to the strand above it. If they were hung closer, the lasher would rip the telephone cables loose.

Michael A. Terrell

All I can tell you is that it's run the way I described over here. Three-phase power up top, some distance down a steel cable. That's where telephone and cable TV live as room mates. There is no third floor.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Then they are owned by the same company.

Michael A. Terrell

Nope. Cable TV is owned by Comcast, telephone by old Missy Bell (AT&T). They are fierce competitors. First Comcast tried to lure phone customers over with VoIP, then AT&T struck back with a satellite bundle deal.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

just

Then I wouldn't do business with either. In place that was tried before, there was a lot of careless damage when repairs were needed, and it increased lightning damage between systems. The areas I've worked wouldnt allow both on one strand, unless owned by one company.

Michael A. Terrell

just

Hey, there are standards for this stuff. How do you think airplanes come together? Not everyone gets his own strand paths. It's hundreds of companies working together, thousands of engineers, techs and so on. One of them being yours truly :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

YOUR ANUS IS EXPOSED AGAIN IDIOT

CLOSE IT SI VOUS PLAIS

I AM PROTEUS

Reply to
Proteus IIV

So, you would let the janitors have access to the calibration of medical equipment?

Michael A. Terrell

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

Huh? Ninety percent of the spam flowing into USENET comes through Googl Groups. Very little if any comes through Verizon.

Reply to
John Doe

Yeah, that is why Google is interested in USENET.

That is a silly assertion that has been propagated on USENET (probably ever since it was invented). The current reason for Internet service providers dropping USENET service has nothing to do with anything but cutting costs (probably partly by simplifying administration). If AT&T just wants to provide the wire that transmits information from everywhere else to me and vice versa, that is okay with me.

One of... That is true, but it is a different subject.

The USENET is the only worldwide forum that allows freedom of speech without moderation, where anyone in the world can be instantly heard by everyone else. There are many kooks, but the immense amount of information shared here on USENET is extremely useful to some of us.

I think the ulterior motive might be worse than that. Like Jan Panteltje wrote, files are shared in many ways. I think the ulterior reason might come not only from the entertainment industry, but also the one-way media as a whole. The USENET is the only worldwide broadcast peer-to-peer media where every user is on the same level playing field, and there is no moderator (no one is holding the microphone). If someday, independent news servers are shut down too, I believe that is when the real do-do will hit the fan. But we probably would hear squealing (about harsh regulation) from those independent news servers before the shut down.

I suspect the government can prevent communications between countries. I think that would shut down most of the illegal file traffic (apparently most of the stuff is copied and then shared back to the United States from non-US servers). If our authorities shut down independent USENET servers without shutting down international peer-to-peer file sharing, that will be a clear indication of serious trouble for USENET and freedom of speech.

Reply to
John Doe

No. That's what standard operating procedures and certifications are for. A proper SOP will exactly spell out who is allowed to do a certain job and who is not. Didn't you have those procedures in the TV business?

--
Gruesse, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

You couldn't be more wrong :-) The binary groups are more alive than ever.

                     "If it doesn\'t fit, use a bigger hammer!"
Nico Coesel

Of course, and one of them was not to mix your physical plant with another.

Michael A. Terrell

Not at all viable or even acceptable in medical, aero and such. Either y'all work together or the whole product ain't going to happen.

Take a look at a typical cardiology lab. Ok, I hope not as a patient, but ... there is a plethora of gear from a dozen different manufacturers. When you make an installation you have no a priori knowledge what you are going to find, from whom it is, or what will be installed after you are done. Most of this ends in a central console room that is between two cath labs. And it always works. _That's_ how it's supposed to be.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Individual.net (10EUR). AIUI there are still free Usenet services out there too.

Reply to
krw

Cable TV isn't medical. Neither are telephone companies.

BTW, you do know that some telephone companies attempted to enter the cable TV market, and ended up leasing their hardware to cable companies when they couldn't make a profit? They tried to operate the cable systems the same way they did telephone with layer after layer of workers and management. Cable TV only has one layer of management, and three levels of technical workers. The first is the line crew who builds the physical plant, and makes sure that it passes the FCC proof of performance. After a system is built or upgraded, that crew is very small. The second level is the crew that does maintenance to the distribution system. The third are the installers who do the simplest work. In CATV, any worker can take on any lower level work, when needed. In telephone companies, it needs the right person, with the right work order. It was the same results when some cities tried to build and operate CATV systems. They were miserable failures, as well.

You think you have radiation problems with your designs? A leak in a cable system can shut down an airfield 20 miles away. Some systems have hundreds of miles of coax that can be damaged and radiate RF from 10 MHz, up. A damaged telephone trunk line can shut down all emergency services to a city.

Michael A. Terrell