Comcast Dropping Usenet

I'm gonna miss these two groups more than most.

Thanks for all the help over the last 15+ years.

Reply to
nospam

Alternatives

Ken

Well, it'll give me more free time. But I've enjoyed helping and learning in this group.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

There are other ways of getting news groups than just your ISP providing them.

--
*Dance like nobody's watching.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

there are free ones on motzarella.org gazeta.pl (down the last couple of days) datemas.de

posted via motzarella for this one

Google was fine when it was deja vu, crap nowadays

-- General electronic repairs, other than TVs and PCs

Diverse Devices, Southampton

Reply to
N_Cook

Read my sig.

Conversion was easy -- just the server name, userid, and password (the last two they choose for you, and they're wierd -- although the proper command depended I think on whether the internal article number, within a newsgroup, was greater or less with APN than it had been with Erols.

With less, I didn't have to do anything but get more headers, etc. With more, I had to "Sample the latest 1000 headers", for example.

Forte Agent has this last command, but I don't know if other newsreaders have an equivalent. At worst, you'll have to unsubscribe from the newsgroup, discard the contents you've gotten so far, and start from scratch, for those newsgroups where it doesn't just work normally. A tribute to Erols/RCN/Starpower which took away newsgroups, without giving any notice, in advance or when they did it!!

And a real tribute to

which starts at 3 dollars for 12 gigs a month, including alt, misc, and everything else, 12 gigs is far more than someone who dl's mostly text should ever need.

Reply to
mm

Thanks for those references.

Reply to
nospam

... if you had one.

Reply to
Allodoxaphobia

*Not* the best choice -- by far.
--
  Marvin L Jones    | jonz          | W3DHJ  | linux
   38.24N  104.55W  |  @ config.com | Jonesy |  OS/2
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Allodoxaphobia

The post you replied to had one. Does it have to have a blank line or label that says sig for you to be able to tell?

--
A tribute to Erols/RCN/Starpower which took away newsgroups,
without giving any notice, in advance or when they did it!!
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
mm

Go to astraweb. $10 non-expiring 25GB of downloads.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

I suggest YOU drop comcast.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

I, for one, would love to.

The problem: What would you suggest I use for connectivity? Satellite is a non-starter. Dialup? Don't make me laugh... It'd be going over Comcast's VOIP, and at a higher price than I'm already paying for the internet connection! Wireless? Not a bad idea - if we had anything that even resembled line-of-sight to the general vicinity of the only wireless installation in the area. All factors which conspire to leave me, and likely quite a few others like me, pretty well hosed.

Ain't communications monopolies great?

--
Don Bruder - dakidd@sonic.net - If your "From:" address isn't on my whitelist,
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Don Bruder

No, it didn't.

Reply to
UCLAN

Ditto

Reply to
jim evans

On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 21:25:12 -0400, mm put finger to keyboard and composed:

I must confess that I didn't recognise your sig, either, until you added the dash-dash-space.

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

Why do you say that?

When that post came back to me, it had a sig, almost the identical sig that my next post had and that this post will have.

Now I can understand that a reader can't tell just from looking what I wrote specifically for a given post, and what came from the sig. file.

But I can't understand how the two of you don't know that you can't tell just from looking, and why you think there was no sig. when I've told you there was one**. And why it's so important to each of you, and why you're so sure you're right, that you go to the trouble to post.

**When I said "See my sig" in my first post, and again when I assured Allodox in my second post that there was a sig.

That really interests me, and I would be most interested in any explanation. And grateful for a serious explanation.

(You're not just pulling my chain because I don't always use a period after "sig", are you? That would be quite a waste of time and bandwidth, so I don't think it's that.)

--
A tribute to Erols/RCN/Starpower which took away newsgroups,
without giving any notice, in advance or when they did it!!
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
mm

I understand that. But you didn't think it so important that you posted about it just to point out that I was wrong. You don't have the troll-like nature the other two exhibited.

I only figured out on Tuesday that my service was cancelled; it took until Thursday to pick an alternative, and until Saturday when I read the start of this thread to decide to tell everyone how Erols/RCN/Starpower had behaved. My post in this thread was the first time I had used the sig, and so it had errors. Once I saw them, I was able to correct them.

--
A tribute to Erols/RCN/Starpower which took away newsgroups,
without giving any notice, in advance or when they did it!!
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
mm

Other than the fact that Comcast charges too much, I have no complaints -- their customer service is excellent.

But if I dropped Comcast (as Scarlett said) -- Where would I go? What would I do? Satellite doesn't provide Internet service. * And I can't go back to dial-up.

Some of the money spent on the Iraq war might have been spent to install a universal fiber-optic infrastructure. The actual service would be provided by competing companies, not the government.

  • As far as I know. Years ago there was a hybrid satellite system, with a land connection providing the uploads.
Reply to
William Sommerwerck

Free

Ron