v for frequency?

The calibration standards are cheap too.

Dem dumb yanks kept England from starving in WWII, and mostly still do. The Brits seem to have never figured out how to grow things. Or, for that matter, how to cook them.

What did the brits call frequency before the Hz was invented? Did they even have frequency?

I think they measured energy in scuttles.

Our football pitches vary in size significantly. Our normal unit of length is the London bus.

Reply to
Joe

Nope. Very little agricultural produce comes from the USA. Canadian wheat, yes. USA whent, no. Our oranges come nor from Floria, but from S africa North Africa and the middle eats. Beef is from argentina Lamb from New zealand. Apart from apple marketing and mcdonalds logos we dont actually import much of anything from the US Latterly some gas and wood chips.

The Brits seem to have never figured out how to grow things. Or,

strange to hear an American use the word 'cook' I have never seen an american cook ANYTHING.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

What a sad plonquer you are.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

'How I Won the War' was a mildly amusing novel made into a mediocre movie with John Lennon. Set in WWII Africa when ever the natives would try to get something from the Brits, the officer would say 'That wouldn't be cricket.' When the petitioner asked 'What's cricket' a long, boring explanation was given until he got discouraged and went away.

iirc there was also a sequence about collecting stool samples from the indigenous population.

Reply to
rbowman

I was surprised to find there isn't an agreed on dimension. It's like hurling which expands to fit whatever field is available. The local hurling club plays on a regulation American football field which is really too small.

Reply to
rbowman

Nope, they grew their own and were actually more healthy for it.

Nope, f*ck all food is imported from the USA.

Even sillier than you usually manage.

Ditto.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Cycles per second.

Corse they did.

Hard to do that with electricity and gas.

Reply to
Rod Speed

No it isn't, that works out as -17.778C. The freezing point of saturated brine is about -21C.

Are you sure? They claim 98.6F is body temperature. But firstly individuals can be +/- 1.8F. And your own body temperature can go to +/-1.8F depending how warm you are. Your body doesn't take much action unless it's more than that out. So in total the variation is 7.2F. From 95F to 102.2F is ok.

I'm in the UK and have never heard of it.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

My neighbour's wife (an accountant!) can't do negative numbers. She couldn't understand a £30 discount on fibre broadband bill number one, and a £60 installation charge on bill number two. She actually thought they'd not given her 50% off. Took me 10 minutes to not succeed in explaining it to her. Eventually her (dyslexic) husband said "I think Peter's right...."

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

For that we use lb/sq inch. Something still used in the UK for car tyres for example. I use it for scuba, although most use BAR which is also imperial. I don't think there's a metric pressure used.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Posh twatt. Say less.

To imagine America, just think of any other country 50 years ago. They evolve slowly over there.

Yeah I never realised the gallons were different until I was comparing petrol/gas prices UK/USA and something didn't add up. They didn't even get imperial measurement right. I wander what the history of that is?

The everything is related is pretty cool, and seemingly impossible. Gives rise to the belief of creationism I guess.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Who buys a dozen shirts?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

I can tell the difference if I'm moving from one room to another. I can quite accurately guess the number of C difference.

I can also quite accurately determine the temperature of an object I touch if it's fairly near body temperature.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

You can't be serious. I assume you mean F? 25C is damn warm. I'd be cosy naked at 25C, in fact I'd say that was too warm.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

I went hillwalking 2 days ago and was annoyed it was 4C with a strong breeze and a light drizzle. I was starkers and wished it was cooler.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

I sprained my wrist when I went out at precisely 0C and didn't realise it was that cold. I slipped on the ice on my stupid neighbours concrete slab driveway putting his f****ng bin out. Why can't people have proper driveways?

I thought I'd broken it as it stiffened right up, the doctor agreed, he felt a chipped bit of bone. Turns out I'd chipped that in an accident 35 years ago and hadn't noticed, since I was more concerned with the break in the arm.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

You claims are more like an infant child with an IQ of 90 or less.

Bar is a metric unit. If you were truly versed in SCUBA diving in water rather than your arm chair you would know this.

Very true, you don't think.

The SI unit is Pascal(Pa):

Bar is used more often as it is a quantity people can equate to and is close to an atmosphere.

Reply to
Fredxx