Transformer insulateing tape?

They sure as hell do/did. Maybe not in woodworking, certainly in engineering.

In non-US English, they're usually called "thou'", diminution of "Thousandth".

Did you never have any feeler gauges or inch micrometers?

                                       (Richard Feynman)
Reply to
Fred Abse

Probably because, in the case of Australia. they *are* imperial units, the

20 fl.oz pint, and so on.

US customary units are similar in many respects, but not the same.

                                       (Richard Feynman)
Reply to
Fred Abse

But that does not give you the right to declare it obsolete, you DUMB BASTARD.

That is the part you fail to grasp.

Reply to
DrParnassus

Maybe that is due to the fact that you ARE a DUMB SON OF A BITCH.

Reply to
DrParnassus

Currently? Being able to spot stupid, retarded bastards that spout horseshit at every turn.

Reply to
DrParnassus

From what I have seen in the group, you fail to read 99% of the posts, and incorrectly respond to those threads you do interlope into.

Reply to
DrParnassus

No, asshole. The correct statement is:

The rest of the world doesn't use Sloman any more.

Reply to
DrParnassus

--
I believe the UK still uses miles, which is 63,360 inches.
Reply to

--- With millions of pieces in stock, in all imaginable packages, all around the world, and with no manufacturer offering "lifetime buys" or notices of discontinuance, it seems your claims of obsolescence haven't been heard at high enough levels to matter.

As far as "better ways" goes, how would you know?

The last time you put anything on paper, here, for a 555 substitute was an expensive analog monstrosity which, If I recall correctly, was truly obsolete at the time and, as far as replacing the device with a microcontroller goes, you don't have any first-hand experience with modern microcontrollers and are just parrotting the currently popular party line.

Reply to
John Fields

. . .

--- He may not be able to, but I certainly can, case in point being the thread where you didn't realize that a solenoid wrapped around a conductor carrying AC current won't act as a transformer, remember?

Instead of leaving the goalposts where they were and admitting to your ignorance, heaven forbid, you moved them by trying to make it seem like the OP was joking and that you knew it all along, when clearly he wasn't and you didn't, cheater.

Reply to
John Fields

That is what you remember. It is pity that you never did understand what I actually said.

You do seem to need to "understand" reality in a way that lets you preserve your self-image as someone who knows what they are talking about.

Pity about that.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

The part is still manufactured and dsitributed, but as a legacy part

There are lots of old designs that use it which don't - individually - sell in bigh enough volumes to justify the cost of redesign, though they may justify the smaller cost of a relayout for smaller packages.

Legacy parts are obsolete, even if the leacy market keeps them commercially viable.

There are a few lazy and stupid engineers still designing it into new products, because they've never bothered to find out the more modern solutions, and there are also quite a few hobbyists who just copy elements out of old designs without trying to understand the technology involved.

Granting your self-serving delusions, there's no way you'd believe the explanation.

Your memory is as bad as your grasp of reality. I did suggest the old RCA CD4047 as a viable alternative. It is a digital part (in so far as any monostable/astable is digital) and still in stock at Farnell as dip parts from Fairchild, TI and NXP, and as an soic part from NXP.

You don't need a modern microcontroller to put together a clock-based timer - programmable logic parts are rather more useful if you want to control a couple of operations at the same time, but that might be a little too complicated for you.

And could you point to an exposition of the currently popular party line that I'm supposed to be parrotting? I'm not aware of any such document, but I'd quite like to see one if such a document actually exists.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

--
OK, I'll bite...

What did you actually say?
Reply to
John Fields

You were never able to get the point back then. Why should I waste my time making a second attempt at getting the same idea past your congitive defects?

You did. None of it contracted the point I'd been trying to make, which you seemed to be incapable of comprehending.

The experiment showed pretty much what the rest of us would have predicted, and actually confirmed the point I'd made - as you would have understood if you'd correctly processed the words I'd originally posted.

You didn't know what I had been talking about, and - having managed to concoct your own bizarre idea of what I might have meant - went off on some tangent based on what you would have liked me to have implied.

IIRR the whole thing hinged on what you thought I should have said if I'd meant what I believed I'd meant - there was a joke in there somewhere which you hadn't noticed.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

--
That's because there was no point, only some doddering old nitwit
trying to talk himself out of a situation he'd gotten himself into

Almost sig material for some... :-)

Reply to
Pieyed Piper

Probably because a "chink" is easy to spot, but his "gaping hole" means that the eye must back away from the macro view and examine the bigger picture to see the extent of the devastation..

He's a 'holey' man.

Reply to
Pieyed Piper

--
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obsolete
Reply to

:

That would characterise your contribution to the debate.

The Texas sharp shooter. Paints the bulls-eyes around the bullet holes after he has fired the gun.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

Give or take the occasional space probe that doesn't get where it should have gone because the fuel load was calculated as specific number of gallons and loaded as that number of litres.

Provided that no-one gets confused as to which set of units they ought to be working with at any given time.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman