Time to Upgrade ?:-}

e:

ncompatibility.

so perhaps that's why I have no problems.

That's for bridging the VM interface to the PM.

In our case, we have dual interfaces on the host PM. The public interface is static. The private interface is 192.168.20.1 and the server VM bridged to it. The server VM is running XP with Sybase/SQL server. The host PM i nterfaces are iptables firewall/NAT/dnsmasqed.

Now, the problem has nothing to do with VM. Networked XPs on 192.168.20 su bnet would time-out with or without any VM running on the PM. Without cons ideration of VM, it's just a simple dual ported router/server. I am sure s omeone has the same setup running, perhaps with different hardwares/drivers .

Since it works fine for 32 bit, i am inclined to believe it is 64 bit hardw are/driver problem.

Our boxes are Dell PowerEdge III 2950 with dual NetExtreme Gigabit Ethernet .

Reply to
edward.ming.lee

On Fri, 14 Aug 2015 22:45:53 -0700 (PDT), Bill SlowGang Gave us:

Just how many personalities do you sport, sport? You should get some help with that.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

On Sat, 15 Aug 2015 00:10:05 -0700 (PDT), Bill Sloman Gave us:

Actually, it is. You just stated that there are better, cheaper and even more efficient alternate means (circuits) but show no comparisons and offer no proofs. You are pathetic, at best.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

As usual, you snip the bit where I point out that it's a point I made years ago. The reality is that the NE555 has been obsolescent since about 1990. If you weren't a total twit, you'd have worked this out for yourself.

Because you are a total twit, there would be no point in recapitulating the argument, just for you - it's not as if mere facts are going to change your opinion, any more than they'd change krw's.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

--
If it can be relied on to work for the intended purpose, that is -
more often than not - the best solution.

>> >The creative energy might almost certainly have been better devoted
>> >to getting more modern devices to do similar stuff,
>>
>> Point taken, but even today a 555 is often the chip of choice for
>> those who want a a non-software/firmware encumbered solution for a
>> simple problem.
>
>Particularly amongst people who can't be bothered to find anything better.
Reply to
John Fields

On Sat, 15 Aug 2015 04:13:30 -0500, John Fields Gave us:

I never liked "Occam's razor", but a definitely like 555's razor.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

oUno

ars.

haven't got any interest in providing the best possible solution, as oppose d to one which can be relied on to work.

Not really. There's a distinction between "best" and "tolerable".

r.

Gilding the lily implies adding unnecessary features. Doing a more comprehe nsive optimisation may involve longer design time, but it isn't gilding any lilies.

s to use them on.

More asses than workhorses.

ent

Rather like the US constitution, which is long past it's sell-by date, but still fondly maintained by people who should long ago have moved on to bett er solutions.

tricks,

y.

bjective, essentially depending on how lazy you are and how little pride yo u take in your work.

I can't be bothered fleshing out "some other way". The market has been doin g that for some 25 years now, but legacy designers are still doinbg what wo rked for them back in the 1970's.

use the 555 in lots of applications isn't a good argument for using it in m ost.

The 555 is hardly ever appropriate for the work in hand now, and hasn't bee n for some 25 years now. It's not inappropriate enough that you can't get a way with using it, and if you need to cheap-skate on design time, doing wha t you did back in 1975 does save effort.

We've been here before. It's not the kind of claim that needs backing up on e more time.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

John Field redefined "best" to suit his own "get shot of it quickly" design philosophy. That's not Occams's Razor - which suggests that you shouldn't complicate your explanations any more than you absolutely have to.

Go away and get an education.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

--
The "distinction" seems to be an irrelevant fabrication, in this case,
in that you  can't post any hard evidence to refute my argument and

That sounds like what I said. This feels like a terminology or context mismatch. What do you mean by "Then we can't have static IP" above?

We're running someting similar at work, the DHCP/router box has a 32-bit kernel and runs isc-dhcp-server,

32 bit XPs on physical hardware or on virtualbox-linux (64 or 32 bit) work fine. I have not tried a 64bit DHCP server.

I'd suspect a bug in the source, or an optimiser bug.

maybe all you need to do is install the 32 bit dhcpd, or one of the other dhcp setvers. (udhcpd, dhcpd5, or one of newer ones)

last week I founsd a corner-case bug in a mailserver that's been there for years and only seems to show up on 64 bit, or it could be compiler bug. A couple of years back frabs was unplayable on debian stable (32 bit) due to an optimiser bug which presented in the fast_atan2() code

--
  \_(?)_
Reply to

On Sat, 15 Aug 2015 03:14:43 -0700 (PDT), Bill Sloman Gave us:

Fuck off and die, you retarded bastard.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

meroUno

is

th

nd haven't got any interest in providing the best possible solution, as opp osed to one which can be relied on to work.

Your claim is that the 555 isn't obsolescent. That isn't an argument, but r ather a opinion. The hard evidence was posted here years ago, when most of the people who bothered to comment said that they'd not used a 555 for for years, and pretty much all the rest said that they'd used for quick and dir ty solutions when they couldn't be bothered to find something better.

tter.

ehensive optimisation may involve longer design time, but it isn't gilding any lilies.

The NE555 was never perfect - Hans Camenzind mentioned the thing he could h ave done better in his book and it's stuck with a pathetic power transisto r for doing the switching.

gy

rses to use them on.

I don't get paid.

ut still fondly maintained by people who should long ago have moved on to b etter solutions.

The self-indulgent twaddle is what's posted by people like James Arthur, wh o idolises the founding tax evaders, and claim that the US constitution is the peak of constitutional design, never subsequently equalled - when my se condary school history lessons on the Australian Constitution discussed in some detail the defects of the US constitution and how the Australian const itution had avoided some of them. Sadly, it didn't go for proportional repr esentation with the enthusiasm it should have, and the 1948 German constitu tion leaves it for dead.

The analogy with your enthusiasm for the 555 is striking.

of tricks,

way.

at

subjective, essentially depending on how lazy you are and how little pride you take in your work.

I'm anything but stuck - I can use any component I like. There was a time w hen idiot managers would suggest that I might use the 555 for some job or o ther, and I'd have to set them straight, but those times are long past.

Probably. However, I've pointed out here from time to time that the cheapes t MOS power transistor is better than what you get in a 555, and the dimmes t micro makes a better timer than the 555, and you never seem to get the me ssage.

ng

an use the 555 in lots of applications isn't a good argument for using it i n most.

been for some 25 years now.

As I keep on repeating, the billion units a year are going into legacy desi gns, and there are "legacy designers" around who thing that because the 555 was the answer to a maiden's prayer in 1971, it's still the obvious choice for similar sorts of jobs forty years later.

You seem to be one of them.

It fits the application "perfectly" because it was what you used the last h undred times you did much the same job, and you can't be bothered thinking up a different solution.

one more time.

"In a row"? You want a "row" of examples of non-uses of the 555?

I've spent my career not using it. Not intentionally - it came up once or t wice, but was never good enough for the stuff I needed done at the time.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

We tried, but real XPs would time-out on 64 bit DHCP server.

How do you run 32 bit binary in 64 bit kernel?

Reply to
edward.ming.lee

As a janitor, and never having designed anything electronic in your life, how would you know what real engineers do?

Reply to
Pomegranate Bastard

On Sat, 15 Aug 2015 06:49:23 -0700 (PDT), Bill Sloman Gave us:

Right... Australia.... the place NOBODY but rich folks with masters degrees are allowed to immigrate to.

Otherwise all one is permitted to do is be a tourist/visitor.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

On Sat, 15 Aug 2015 18:02:21 +0100, Pomegranate Bastard Gave us:

Go away, janitor... You are not wanted, nor is your pathetic tripe needed.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

A janitor, in my past, was an amazing fellow...

Mid '70's I'm working late night at ICE's office so I can use their lab space.

Cleaning crew comes in to do their thing.

One of the janitors approaches me and says he has an idea for a burglar alarm... would I be interested in assisting in the development.

Turns out he's ex-con... so proficient at safe-cracking that he gives lectures to the FBI >:-}

So, together, we develop a motion detector style system.

My favorite use of the 555...

...Jim Thompson

Nor did I say it was.

My point, which you either missed or decided to trample, was that if a
555 is perfect for a given application - with due diligence paid to
the optimization required for the task - then overoptimization is
gilding the lily since it serves no useful purpose and is wasteful of
resources.

Is that an alien concept to you?
---
>Hans Camenzind mentioned the thing he could have done better in his book
>and it's stuck with a pathetic power transistor for doing the switching.
Reply to
John Fields

[snip]

Please stop feeding the trolls. ...Jim Thompson

On Sat, 15 Aug 2015 13:40:28 -0700, Jim Thompson Gave us:

Folks gotta listen to master jimbo... he's the boss of this group.

Bwuahahahahahaahah! Right.

Must be the wine.

Remember "Used Cars"? Ol' JT is like the asshole brother Grandpa hauled off to jail.... Roy L. Fuchs.

Except the JimmyTard can't box... Verbally or otherwise.