SPICE photodiode model--how to put in reverse transit time?

Hi, all,

A Merry Christmas, first of all.

Now that the important stuff is out of the way, I've been thinking about photodiode models.

Photodiode speed is a fairly strong function of reverse bias, and many types of PIN PDs speed up amazingly when you crank up the bias that last little bit (often above the datasheet V_B) to fully deplete the bulk.

Other types are dominated by diffusion in the epi layer, which is too highly doped to be depleted before the device turns to lava.

The diffusion-dominated rise time goes quadratically with diameter, just like the RC rise time, but is typically slower, at least in red-enhanced devices with thick I layers.

The SPICE diode model doesn't seem to include a reverse transit time. Any suggestions of how to model reverse transit time effects in photodiodes?

Thanks

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510 USA
+1 845 480 2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

There's this paper on the subject...

IEEE, so I can't retrieve it.

You have to make a subcircuit. I'll E-mail you some papers that I do have. ...Jim Thompson

Thanks, that's both interesting and digestible. (Important feature on Boxing Day.) ;)

I'll have a whack at seeing whether the large-signal reverse recovery accurately predicts the photodiode behaviour, which ideally should be on the low-level injection end of the curve.

The photocarriers are generated throughout the depletion zone at a low rate, which is pretty different from the reverse recovery of an 1N4007.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs