Time to Bail Out?

As a child in the 1980's, I was always fascinated with anything that ran on electricity. Whether it was a flashlight, a calculator, or a tape recorder, I was always taking things apart to see how they worked, and trying to repair them. I remember, when I was about 4, spending a couple of hours trying to "repair" a disposable flashlight that was getting dim. My parents wouldn't let me tinker with the family TV; I'm not sure whether it was safety concerns, or the fact that we couldn't afford to replace the 19" black-and-white set. I'd have to wait until I was older to tinker with those..... So not surprisingly, as I got older, I knew I'd want to go into this line of work someday, repairing consumer electronics. At 19 I began rounding up broken TV sets, and then VCRs and other appliances. I began repairing things for customers before I had gained adequate experience, but it was just as well; because by the time I became properly experienced, there would be almost no demand for my skills. For a while, business wasn't too bad. I kept fairly busy, with customers coming and going on an almost daily business. Not bad considering this was just a small shop, run in a small building next to my house. At it's peak, I took in about $6k in one year - that may not seem like much, but it kept bills paid and gave me some extra spending money (I had little overhead so almost everything was clear profit). But in the last 2 years or so, things have gone downhill at an alarming rate of speed. At first, sales of used electronics started to dwindle. Then more and more customers were turning down repair estimates, saying "I'll just buy a new one". So where do things stand now? Earlier this year, the local corner store changed hands, and I set up an agreement with the owner to let me sell electronics from a corner of his store (the only store in the community). With deals like 25" stereo TVs for $79.99, you'd think they'd sell fast wouldn't you? Wrong. In the nearly two months I've had my display set up, not a single television set has sold. A few other misc items did sell, netting me a grand total of just over $100. In short, the results of this venture have been very disappointing indeed. If the store owner decides to give me the shaft to make way for something more profitable, I won't blame him at all. And while sales have fallen through, it seems repairs have taken a drastic drop as well. Fewer and fewer items are coming into my shop for repairs, and those that do are often left there when the owner decides to buy a new unit. Either that, or replacement parts are no longer available - even for sets less than 6 years old. I think the best indication of the industries decline, would be the things I see in the trash each spring. This spring I rounded up what seemed like a bounty, hoping it would be stuff I could resell. The haul was unbelievable. More stuff than I could list here. And the vast majority of the items were untampered with - it appeared that the owners hadn't even bothered to get an estimate of repairs, they just threw them in the trash and bought new ones. Another indication would be the activity of this very newsgroup. In the years I've been posting here, I've noticed a big drop in activity. I'm guessing it's no coincidence. At present, I have two buildings full of hundreds of appliances. Dozens of nice, remote color TV's, dozens of nice VCRs, mini-systems, audio equipment, and so forth. Ten years ago this stuff would have been worth a fortune - now it appears that most of it will end up as landfill. Nobody wants it anymore. Everyone just wants to buy something new, even if it's just a piece of junk. Nobody appreciates quality anymore. It seems that the world is rapidly going to hell in a handbasket. So what do I do now? Part of me just wants to trash the whole works of it, and try to find some other line of work. But it breaks my heart to throw out so many nice appliances, which could be easily repaired and provide years of useful service. But what's the point in keeping it all? I can't sell it. I probably couldn't even give most of it away. TV's and VCR's could be stripped for aluminum and copper, though most sets yield less than $1 worth of such metals. I could just throw it out, but like I say, I hate to do that. But it appears that I'll have to do something, and soon. There's no point in carrying on this charade any longer - the business is dead and it's time to bury it. I also have to wonder what's going to happen within 10 or 20 years, when the landfills are full, and the economy perhaps in turmoil. People may once again turn to the electronic tech, looking for repairs of their sets or to buy something used. But by then, such businesses will all be long-gone. People will be left with nothing, and those of us who tried to warn them today will just say "I told you so". I look forward to your input on this subject; I'm guessing the vast majority of you guys are going through the same thing.

Reply to
Chris F.

judging by your news provider you are in new brunswick?

Reply to
ryan wiehle

oops, I meant cheap imports!

Reply to
ryan wiehle

Or when terrorists sneak a nuke into a shipping container bound for Wal-Mart? What level of crap will that cause?

No attack by terrorists will ever damage the USA, however the present economic trends may well do it. With a majority of people living below the poverty line there will be no sales or income taxes to fund an army to invade foreign countries to 'protect' the oil from the locals - and no need of oil anyway.

But all I can suggest is that you look into industrial process control and PLC servicing. That can't be outsourced, and the nature of these beasts is that they need an expert to fault find on site. You have the skills and the expertise with test gear needed to work on these, something many electricians do not have.

I've also considered repairing automobile computers. You might want to check around town and find out if car repair shops are having success getting that done.

NSM

If you were to take the time to look at how advanced the new electronics are these days, most people would not want an older set. The cost of the LCD and Plasma TV sets have dropped considerably over the last 3 to 5 years. These prices are still dropping, and the performance of the new technologies is getting much better.

The days of servicing most low to medium end consumer electronics at a reasonable price are long gone. The manufactures don't even supply parts any more for their lower end models.

In the case of a standard TV set, it is possible to have a 20 inch CRT TV today, for under $200, that comes with a 3 year warranty. I have seen some descent new VHS / HiFi machines going for an average of $70. After about a year, if it is not working, it is considered a throw-away. If it breaks down before a year, there should be a warranty exchange for it.

Why would anyone want to service a 5 year old TV or VCR, and have to spend more than 15% of the cost of a new one?

The cost of the LCD and Plasma screens are not at their bottom price yet. I was informed that from a good authority, that within the next 2 years, the Plasma and LCD sets should be at least 1/2 of today's prices.

--

JANA _____

Reply to
JANA

Here in Australia I can now buy at a supermarket a TV, DVD player, microwave oven and other appliances for less than the cost of a basic repair job for such an appliance. I can buy an electric drill or sander anywhere for less than I would have spent many years ago on a replacement armature. I can buy a battery drill for less than the cost of replacement batteries. The electronic service industry has, in my opinion, already been doomed, but, as we rush to buy these things (myself included) I fear for our economy in general. The appliances and tools are generally very well made, but cheaper - made in countries by people who probably get paid less per week than I get per hour. Yes, it's nice buying these things we could not possibly afford otherwise, but it is inevitable that our wages, work and living standards may have to be reduced so as to "compete" with such manufacturing countries - countries who have no regard for worker's conditions.

Henry.

Reply to
hemyd

Well, for myself, business is doing well. Considering we are a small shop, we keep busy!!

We also specialize in projection tv's and high priced items.....Plasma, LCD, DLP are new technology but they do break down and clients HAVE TO dish out $ for the 2000-3000$ item that was purchased a few years ago.

Obviously, small items like 19' tv and vcr's are not coming for repair that often but when they do, it's better to make a few bucks than nothing!!

Also, keep up with the newe technology...DLP are easy to service/repair with the right training material(I can probably email you some good material)....LCD and Plasma as well...consider that these units mostly are repaired by repalcing boards/modules and then configuring them to the units, almost like computers

Sadly but true we need to follow the market.........Out with the old IN with the new. AND when the client asks why his unit broke down after 2 years when his old set lasted 15-20 years with no problem...tell them they asked for it!!!

Good Luck!!!!!

Reply to
tvmirage

Maybe we just want too much for too little. People will never realise they're ruining the earth until it's too late. This used to be a fairly cold and wet country, but what do we have now? Tropical heat, draught, thunderstorms with heavy rains and now 80% of crops destroyed. It's coming, we all know it, but we ignore it.

Bart Bervoets

Reply to
Bart Bervoets

As a child in the 1980's, I was always fascinated with anything that ran on electricity.

:( You're not alone Chris ,i could'nt have expressed the woes of this trade better. I stopped accepting tv's , dvd's and any other cheap electronic appliances for repair. My blood boils when someone tells me they got a great deal on a cheap chinese appliance. Hah , damn thing just looks like its supposed to work , they conk within 3 months , open it and you'll see ic and transistor no.s erased. Do they offer to replace or provide tech support? no ! So i thought i'd focus on dlp's and higher end stuff. Problem is they're so tough to repair especially when there's no support available from the manufacturers. Any technical querries sent to them are either ignored or simply responded to with "take the unit to an authorised XXX service centre. Try finding out which 3 buttons to press to reset the lamp timer of a dlp and u could spend an entire day datamining with no result. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to press three buttons , but they insist that thier authorised service centres do it better. I'm in india , and we're facing the same problems here too especially since the government killed import duty rates. One thing good about this place is that i can buy single components cheap as compared to the MOQ orders and dollar values other people in the world have to put up with. Though not everything is easily available. Well thanks to forums like these we can support and help each other out with schematics and discuss more than just equipment faults here. tvmirage i sure could use some help with projectors, i get mostly infocus, sharp, panasonic units here. Have a couple of service manuals too in pdf format. Take care !

Reply to
jango2

I was much the same as you, repairing vcr`s, satellite receivers and hi fi, whilst wifey repaired microwave ovens. Business dropped from being pretty busy to just twiddling our thumbs within a few months as the supermarkets started selling white and brown goods at knock down prices. Microwave oven for £29.50 (around $50 I thnk) - VRC for £40. I had to do a major rethink of my business plan!

Luckily I also repair musicians sound equipment so that keeps me going, Most musicians will hang on to their treasured amplifiers etc, and there`s always a market for reconditioned equipment. Having said that, with all the new incredibly low cost Chinese sound equipment coming onto the market, I can see that business going the same way, but to a lesser degree than the TV and vcr repair business.

Ron (UK)

--
Lune Valley Audio
Public address system

Dribble Dribble!!

Go Bail Out Then

Reply to
kip

Maybe ok with older ones. But modern multi-layer surface mount? Forget it. ;-)

--
*I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian.

                  To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Reply to
Chris F.

Hi Chris

I grew up with the same curiosity in all things electronic and electric. As a little child ( maybe 5 or 6), I also took apart anything that ran on electric to see how it worked and somtimes I fixed a few of those things.

I then went all the way to a full college degree in Electrical Engineering. Today I see the Consumer Industry moving away from the old technology to quickly designed, more disposable items. I do like the feel and quality of my cheap VCR for $56. If it breaks I would toss it at that price. I could replace the Mode switches in all the Old VCR's I have held on to but my time and effort doesnt warrant it anymore. My time is worth more then the few dollars I could sell the items for. I really dont think a philosophical arguement applies here about the world going the way of the cheap- throw- away society. The Electronic Industry is just one more thing that got caught up in the "toss-it, its broke" way of thinking. You like me just hate to throw good things out. I would suggest donating them to some church or society and they can sell them at their next rummage sale or fair. You would have done a great service for that group and possibly a Tax write-off

Good luck and I suggest like someone else stated here, that maybe you could venture into the higher priced items, whereas the people arent so easy to toss out a $2000 Projection TV or a well made Tube Guitar Amp.

Larry

Reply to
Larry P

I would suggest

Even that is becoming a thing of the past. Church rummage sales are quickly disappearing. I asked one local church why they stopped having the huge rummage sale every year and they said it just wasn't worth the effort any more. They make a lot more money for less work selling crafts, pies and raffling things off instead of having the rummage sale. Apparently people just don't buy used things any more and they got stuck having to dispose of a lot of stuff. Most thrift stores around me won't take broken electronics any more. They also won't take console TVs, console stereos, or computers even if they work. Instead of selling broken electronics they just dumpster it. Andy Cuffe

snipped-for-privacy@psu.edu

Reply to
Andy Cuffe

What I can't understand is, why people junk well-built appliances in favor of new cheapies. They just don't seem to realize, or care, that they're buying a piece of junk. And at the same time, they're also putting good hard-working folks like us out of business. Not to mention filling up the landfills, and hurting the economy. I believe that man is one of the most foolish creatures on earth, and that this is just another in a long list of examples. I have a 1983 Panasonic console TV sitting behind me, and it's built better than anything on the market today. The chassis has only had minor repairs and the CRT is still like new - good luck getting performance like that from a $79 Durabrand! People just simply don't appreciate quality anymore. Really, people don't appreciate much anything these days. We live in a society filled with spoiled, ungrateful, and gullible morons who simply don't know what's good for them. I plan to stuff most of my old sets into a corner of a storage building and wait a few more months before pulling the plug. If people continue to trash quality items to make way for junk, then they will only get what they deserve, and I won't be a bit sympathetic. I just wish I'd been born 50 years ago, when I could have made a nice living in this profession.

"Larry P" wrote in message news:FnuCe.1434$ snipped-for-privacy@twister.nyc.rr.com...

As

Engineering.

time

world

is

next

and

could

Reply to
Chris F.

In the UK, any secondhand electrical goods have to be safety tested by a qualified person with the approved equipment before being put on sale - even at a charity stall. And to get this done may cost more than the item will fetch. It's called PAT 'testing' and part of H&S regulations. A clever charity shop finds a helpful qualified volunteer and cleans up. ;-)

--
*Income tax service - We?ve got what it takes to take what you've got.

                  To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Unless there are enough people who will pay for help with setting up audio/video systems etc. that's the definition of screwed.

NSM

microwave

I used to be able to get a small fan heater motor (for the wonderful Silenta) rewound for 67/6 ($6.75) and I'd strip and rebuild the thing for an additional 15/- ($1.50). That was in the 1960's. Doesn't that make you laugh now?

NSM

don't

I'm hard pressed to get up much sympathy for loggers or fishermen who complain about the lack of employment for themselves or their children after the source of their wealth has been strip mined. If all VCR's and TV's were designed to be run 100% only on tubes I'd never get to sleep, but that won't happen either.

NSM