Time to Upgrade ?:-}

I've never had trouble with 32-bit XP VM's on a 64-bit Linux host, using VirtualBox for virtualisation. But of course other people's experience may vary - what do you use for the virtualisation?

Reply to
David Brown

I meant the file explorer, not the browser. As if I would ever use IE!

Then you should have referred to it by its proper name, "Windows
Explorer."
Reply to
John Fields

That part is not the problem. The VM boxes on the host itself work fine. But if your DHCP server is running 64 bit, the XP clients on the network will timeout on DHCP refresh. Identical setup works fine for 32 bit.

Yes, VirtualBox on Mint 17.

Reply to
edward.ming.lee

I am not sure I follow you - are you talking about the VirtualBox DHCP server for NAT network connections when you have 64-bit host and 32-bit XP clients? That sounds like a sizeable bug in VirtualBox. I almost always use bridged networking rather than NAT in VirtualBox, so perhaps that's why I have no problems.

Reply to
David Brown

I said that I was running Windows, and I didn't say "Internet Explorer."

Yes, Linux PM (Physical Machine) with public static IP and private NAT/DHCP.

It's not really a VirtualBox issue. It's 64 bit Linux with 32 bit XP incompatibility.

Then we can't have static IP.

Reply to
edward.ming.lee

This all sounds very strange (I have a 64-bit Linux machine serving DHCP to dozens of 32-bit XP systems), but I suppose there all sorts of combinations possible, and this is not really the right place to try and figure out the problem.

Reply to
David Brown

I can easily reproduce the problem. I spent days tracing through the DHCP codes and kernel drivers. At first, i though it was the network driver tim ing out. But then everything work out fines with 32 bit. For now, we woul d just stick with 32 bit, until i have time to revisit the problem.

Reply to
edward.ming.lee

XP 32 bit runs fine in Qemu/KVM on CentOS 6.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Yes, it's fine on Mint 17 VM also, but real XP on network timeout on DHCP.

Reply to
edward.ming.lee

Indeed, but since there were two choices and you defined neither, your assumption that clarity is inherent in your writing was flawed.

John Fields

Reply to
John Fields

You keep getting crazier.

lunatic fringe electronics

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Crazy is fun when designing new stuff, something stable old you
wouldn't know anything about.

John Fields
Reply to
John Fields

Fun is designing new stuff in CRAZY (unconventional) ways; not buying into the boring/conventional set of assumptions but, rather, thinking outside the *globe* (i.e., not "box").

I worked with a firm that designed electronic door locks. No wires *to* the door (power or signal!) keeps installation costs low.

No "antenna" in the door/lock.

Yet, the locks could be reprogrammed at will -- for no "extra"/special labor costs ("rekeying" is expensive in hotels, large businesses, etc. "Bob was fired today. But, he didn't turn in his keys! Get someone in here to rekey the locks to which he had access..." or "The guest in room 2701 took their key when they checked out. We've billed their account. But, need to make sure they don't let themselves back into the room now that its being rented to another party").

"Can't be done!" "Of COURSE it can! *Here* it is!" "Ahhhh... but... Hmmm, that's clever!"

Those are the moments that make engineering *fun*. Not building a faster/cheaper/smaller/bigger version of last year's product, etc. But, it puts a lot of people "off" -- there's more risk, more uncertainty, more to LEARN...

Reply to
Don Y

Ha! Point well taken!

Reply to
Don Y

Yes, 555 chips provide endless creative opportunities.

How would _you_ know?

John Fields
Reply to
John Fields

nd the

le

of

Perhaps from listening to you tell us that - repeatedly - over the years. T he creative energy might almost certainly have been better devoted to getti ng more modern devices to do similar stuff, but you've worked out how to ge t the 555 to do an amazing variety of tricks, despite the fact that it's us ually easier to do the job some other way.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

On Fri, 14 Aug 2015 06:27:04 -0700 (PDT), Bill Sloman Gave us:

So have a lot of other, REAL engineers, you retarded bastard.

They are STILL used in a lot of "modern designs", you pathetic cringing milksop.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno