Time to Upgrade ?:-}

You're unlikely to have anywhere near the same hardware complement on Windows Machine A and Windows Machine B. And, much Windows software is licensed to the machine on which it was initially installed (CPU S/N, disk drive S/N, MAC address, etc. -- all things that don't port to a new machine).

And, that still doesn't address the "I've got new hardware, do I want to keep running with old versions of this software?"

By far, the easiest machines for me to update are my *BSD boxes -- pull drive, install in new machine. Done.

Reply to
Don Y

No. XP had the "Files and Settings Transfer Wizard" which worked fairly well. Unfortunately, it also transferred copy protected software, which I'm sure the software vendors did not appreciate. So, it morphed into "Windows Easy Transfer" which is not easy and doesn't transfer anything that could otherwise be done with a simple flash drive. There are some 3rd party utilities that claim to provide the function. I haven't had much luck with them and have given up trying. The main problem is that Windoze likes to lock files that need to be copied. The default action is to just stop and wait for the lock to be released, which can be forever. I find myself installing everything from scratch, which takes much longer, but doesn't require any troubleshooting after using one of the assorted wizards.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

I see nothing wrong with that setup. Be advised that SP4 has been available (was free when i got it ages ago, hopefully still available). M$ (on disc) sez "For Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional,Windows

2000 Server and Windows 2000 Advanced Server."

Guess you know i have been using Win2K since SP2 came out; still use i 90+ percent of time. I use Win7 only for the few sites that "improved" their "user experience", and note that not ONE THING has (visually) changed.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Another thing to experiment with is limiting the number of threads the simulation code is allowed to use. Mine generates more heat and less speed when allowed to use more than 6 threads in heavy computation. It goes IO bandwidth limited after that even with the faster ram :(

I have been with Samsung SSDs for a while but I'd still consider Crucial. My requirements are for maximum speed on incompressible data. I avoid the newest models for a few months. Been bitten by early firmware/chipset issues once in the distant past.

If you are using it for scratch disk you can go even faster by making a RAID0 array of matched SSDs and accepting doubling the risk of failure.

The gaming community make quite a good testbed since they want machines that are fast, well specified and reliable enough to overclock. I get a bit of teasing for having machines with daft names but performance has been magnificent. PC companies I buy from have a tendency to go bust after a while since they are usually offering too good value for money.

I don't overclock mine and I do add some silicone washers and sound deadening foam here and there because I like my office quiet.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Any chance of running CPUZ on it so we know just how slow the thing actually is and what step level and full name of CPU?

I suspect its peers are somewhere around this neck of the woods:

You can get nearly an order of magnitude faster if so. It is generally worth upgrading when the speed gain is 3-5x what you have at present assuming that the PC is regularly loaded to the hilt with work.

I generally work on the principle of upgrading a PC every five years these days although I have my previous two both lying around for jobs which require real printer ports, SCSI and other legacy features.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

"Xeon Phi" FAICT

Prolly not what you want.

--
  \_(?)_
Reply to

far more inconvenient and costly than spinning rust. The latter may be old tech but it still mostly rules the roost.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I had many turn out to be partly unreadable. Thanfully there's little reason to use them now.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

In the world of computer retail that can just mean they put your number on the SSD, and since it died they can't find it :)

+1.

Something people often underaprpeciate is that installed software affects performance a lot. Choose with care.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Xeon Phi. :-)

Best regards, Piotr

Reply to
Piotr Wyderski

That's not carved in stone. Linux (and some rare versions of windows) can do more than 4G when running a 32 bit kernel. although AFAIK they don't support more than 4G per application.

--
  \_(?)_
Reply to

Cardboard is very good at deadening steel in pc cases

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

PAE (Physical Address Extension) first implemented in Pentium Pro potentially supports 36 physical address bits (64 GiB).

Segment registers are still used in 32 bit mode, each segmented address is added to the proper segment base register, but unfortunately it is then truncated to 32 bits before performing the virtual to physical address translation.

A much better approach would have been omitting the virtual address truncation and apply the segmented address + segment base directly to virtual to physical address translation. This would have allowed full

4 GiB code, 4 GiB data etc. segments, thus making it easy to use quite large memory mapped files without windowing.

The code segment protection bits could have been used to prevent data execution, so there would not have been a need for a per page NX bits, but unfortunately some OS designers did not think about it :-(.

Reply to
upsidedown

Readonly backups are very comforting if you ever have a ransomware infection.

I use DVD+Rs and have never had a serious problem with them.

Also nowadays I never attach any remote drive to my filesystem. Rsync and git all the way. Inconvenient, but reduces the attack surface by a lot.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

I read a study in PC World or the like showing that CD lifetime varied by media type and manufacturer. Don't recall the details, other than there was one very good option.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joe Gwinn

Taiyo Yuden. I use them exclusively.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

On 3 Aug 2015 09:07:59 GMT, Jasen Betts Gave us:

The new i7 units with six main cores are more consumer level. A Xeon usually requires a better than normal motherboard as well, so are outside what most folks want to spend.

I have a socket 2001 i7-3930k on an EVGA X79 Dark mobo.

It keeps up even with the newer class CPUs.

Why that idiot continues to include a binary group in his posts when most NSPs do not even carry them is beyond me.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

My first Spice machine was a 386 with 486 co-processor. Looks like the Xeon Phi requires software specifically written for it ?? ...Jim Thompson

On Mon, 03 Aug 2015 09:50:09 -0400, Phil Hobbs Gave us:

The boot up under a Linux live distro, and make the file system on the mSATA ext4. Done.

They degrade. Period. That rules them out for me.

You are talking about Windows vulnerabilities, not file system vulnerabilities. Get a decent OS and your problems go away.

Live boot discs mean ZERO vulnerability.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Yep. Same here. ...Jim Thompson