Tesla

"B" is not valid. The Tesla motors are water cooled, and yes the thermal mass is lower, but since the heat is transported away that really does not matter much

Cheers

Klaus

Reply to
Klaus Kragelund

afaik the motor in the model S is also water cooled

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

In a steady state, sure. We're talking about extreme overload, though.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

The rotor is air cooled. But it's a big chunk of metal, and won't heat up much in 8 seconds (0 to 160 MPH at ~~1G)

lunatic fringe electronics

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

On Saturday, August 15, 2015 at 7:49:08 AM UTC-7, Phil Hobbs wrote: .....

The stators of Tesla motors are water cooled as well. I think the rotor is oil cooled.

The total peak power input (both motors) is in the 500kW region. ~1500Amps at ~350Volts to give ~690BHP peak.

They are adequately cooled for most uses although a Model S couldn't complete a lap of the Nurburgring under full power because overheating caused power to be reduced.

kevin

Reply to
kevin93

H to

That sounds like a reasonable setup. Their cost-of-generation is only abou t

4 cents per kWH, the rest is transmission and lovely, lovely regulation. Yo ur power injected on their grid doesn't offset their fixed costs.

My pals and neighbors mentioned earlier in this thread have signed 10-year contracts to sell back to the grid at retail + $0.02/kWH. Which is why it' s so absurdly political--that's way over the utility's COG. They project break-even in 6-7 years, unless Obama's man-made coaltastrophe jumps the rates and pays them even more.

It's a welfare program for wealthy greenies who can afford $50k worth of so lar panels--greenfare--paid for by the poorest rate-payers, who can't.

Crikey! Your "last $50" is double my entire usage!

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

My neighbor (a physicist) has that covered. He got a 50-year standing-seam metal roof installed first. The roofing panels snap somehow onto brackets installed in the roof decking, so there are zero penetrations. The solar racks clamp onto the standing seams, preserving the water-tight integrity.

Pretty smart. Expensive, but smart.

The white metal roof is already saving him considerable cooling costs (but is a net negative in a location where winter heating costs dominate).

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

I've got nada, I'm just making inferences from their website's claims.

I recently worked on a LiIon charger that's intended to get 2k cycles from a pack, which it does by over-sizing the pack and charging it to a lower terminal voltage. 2k cycles looked realistic.

4k cycles seems pretty rosy but hey, I'm just an electronics guy.

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

s a

om

Vegas and power it off Hover Dam. But the people who control the budget ar e here in SF; so, we have to show them stuff here first. Production server would definitely be somewhere else.

)

That is *not* true. I have it on good authority that John wore a tie. Onc e.

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

I don't know for sure, but I would doubt that roof insolation does much to warm a house in the winter.

--

Rick
Reply to

There are lots of people and resources on the web for "microhydro." It looks pretty interesting, but the new EPA regs may turn your homemade pond (and your property) into a permanent federally-regulated protected wildlife habitat. Caveat emptor.

Honeycomb blinds are great--they're far more insulating than even the best windows. Easy retrofit. Currently about half the price of new windows, but ought to cost a quarter, IMO.

That's the beauty of centralized government & federal control. Barack Obama, or his bombastic replacement, always know exactly what you should do.

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

My registration was $24(*). Walked into the Dept. of Motor Vehicles, wrote the check, handed it to the lady, got my tags & receipt, and was out in one minute and eighteen seconds--timed it.

(*) Of course, my car is so old, that might be a significant portion of its value!

Grins, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

They've got lots to trim.

I read Tesla spends five days building a car, whereas Detroit and Japan spend about 20 hours.

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

s of the well-off to a remarkable extent - much more so than in any other a dvanced industrial country. This does seem to be a very bad idea.

ss of statistics detailing what seems to go wrong with society if the rich have too much of the money. Correlation doesn't prove causation, but they d o go into the mechanisms through which large difference in income create un fortunate social consequences.

of the problems of too much money falling into the wrong hands.

One of the Koch's outfits was a customer of ours years ago, of the company I then worked for. Their guys were noticeably sharp, honest, and plain- dealing--two cuts above.

The Kochs earned their money making things people want, and supplying tens of thousands of great-paying jobs. They're libertarians, believe in freedo m and limited government, and they've often opposed things they personally benefit from, like corn-based ethanol.

Their website has a great section on liberty, free-market economics, and the road to general prosperity, and they teach these things to their employ ees.

They are incredibly civic-minded, responsible citizens, good stewards of the environment and their workforce.

And all of that is why parasites like Harry Reid despise them.

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

Yeah, I think Ayn Rand wrote a book about them, right?

--

Rick
Reply to

Yes, it always makes sense to knee-jerk rather than check.

"Your climate is an important consideration when deciding whether to install a cool roof. Cool roofs achieve the greatest cooling savings in hot climates, but can increase energy costs in colder climates due to reduced beneficial wintertime heat gains."

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

We just did the registration on our vehicles. SWMBO did it online by setting up an ACH transaction (credit cards cost more). Each vehicle was $20 and the stickers came two days later. I'll have to get an emissions test for my truck next year (model year + 3). I don't know how that figures into things.

Reply to
krw

It shouldn't be significant. The attic should be ventilated enough so the it's close to the ambient temperature anyhow.

Reply to
krw

Perhaps you should have checked a few things before you accepted some boiler plate junk as truth.

Select any city in the lower 48 and the lost heating effect is negligible compared to the savings with a cool roof. Select any city in Alaska and you find the lost heating cost is about the same as other cool places, but the savings on cooling is zero... duh! Well, I did find the calculator shows an appreciable difference in Nome. It says the lost heating effect "saves" $0.016 in heating... go figure.

Bottom line is that for nearly every location in the US at least, the lost heating effect is pretty minimal.

--

Rick
Reply to

That was decades ago, before I reached the age of reason.