Empire of the Sum

Cool book.

It ends by saying that, basically, the calculator is now dead. I have four HP32's, and an excellent HP calc clone on my phone.

My first calculator was an HP35, so my brain is hardwired in Reverse Polish.

Can any of that series store user programs? I have a 20S I got for free I like, but no non-volatile storage is kind of a bummer.

Reply to
bitrex

HP-34C was my good programmable calculator. LED display.

Reply to
whit3rd

I've always had an HP41C since I bought my first one in 1979. (My current one is at my elbow here in the lab, and I used it yesterday.) I still have a binder full of programs I wrote for it, including the mag cards. I haven't written any since about 1984, when I got an actual computer. (It was an HP9816.)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

I always prefer RPN and use a HP48 or my HP15C that I carry with me. Had to buy another HP15C because my first one was stolen along with my old car 20 years ago.

Started with an HP21 or HP25. Awwwww the good old days !

boB

Reply to
boB

Maybe dead to everyone else, but I use a calculator every day.

Reply to
John Smiht

You talked me into it. My copy will be here tomorrow.

Reply to
John Smiht

Not sure the calculator is 'dead'. I have an HP48GX 'for real' and a clone on my phone. Use them both, but in different settings. For lab work having the physical calculator is very handy because work is not interrupted by the use of some other app. Plus, I dislike touch-screen keyboards.

Reply to
rewilded

Even just impedance to admittance via rectangular -> polar -> 1/polar -> rectangular would nice to have without resorting to a web-based calculator.

The SwissMicros version of the '42 seems competitive with the vintage units:

bitrex

I have i41CX+ and Maple Calculator on my phone. Take a look and see if one of them fits your needs. On my desktop I use XCALC. It is old, but I'm sure it will do what you want. It handles complex numbers easily. I can send it to you, if you wish.

Reply to
John Smiht