some great pics

Maybe- but particulate pollution travels along latitudinal lines, on this planet anyway.

bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

business district in Mahattan.

residential neighborhoods, compared to which SF looks like a Victorian shanty town- on a largely unbuildable site- doesn't even come close to being in the same league.

The HP Way is alive and well, just distributed differently. Somebody has to build things that actually work.

And when that crash hits, the result will be completely ephemeral. At least during the '90s boom, *some* tech was left over.

Nobody seems to remember that these things are still "pagers", and pagers were a fantastic way to go broke. One company I knew of was rumored to be a front for a really high end drug ring, so losing money was fine with 'em.

I see the pendulum swinging back towards more people doing stuff and getting away from the big board houses. YMMV.

-- Les Cargill

Reply to
Les Cargill

[...]

In NYC even then they do it. Like on the Van Wyck when some spooky looking heavy-set dudes in a pimp-mobile held air horns out the windows and honked those at me. Because I left more than two feet between my car and the one in front. Ok, me sporting West Virginia plates did not exactly help.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

I was talking about traffic jams. The Bay Area makes even the LI Expressway look fast at 8:30 AM.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

planet anyway.

You can't argue that the air is better in NYC (official air quality score "D") than in San Francisco (score "A"). Well, maybe you could.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

business district in Mahattan.

residential neighborhoods, compared to which SF looks like a Victorian shanty town- on a largely unbuildable site- doesn't even come close to being in the same league.

One of the major spinoffs of HP recently purchased an old-line Silicon Valley instrument company. They immediately moved all the manufacturing to Maylasia.

HP makes a lot of their money by selling printers below cost and ripping people off from ink and toner sales. Even a brand-new printer comes with partially loaded toner cartriges.

Read Packard's book The HP Way, then read Carly's book The Way Forward.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

kid

the business district in Mahattan.

residential neighborhoods, compared to which SF looks like a Victorian shanty town- on a largely unbuildable site- doesn't even come close to being in the same league.

Varian?

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

True. Same in LA. Before landing at LAX I got into the habit of peeking out the window and then tell the cab driver where traffic is backed up on the way to my client in Santa Monica. But the area around Berkeley is the worst. I don't know how people can tolerate it for years to waste so much of their productive life sitting inside an iron horse crawling along some big parking lot ... err ... "free"way. No ten horses would get me to live there. Every time I cross the Carquinez bridge to the north it feels like I can finally breathe again. Once I reach the first hills towards Tahoe ... aaaahh ... freedom.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Until you pass Sacramento and hit Roseville.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

kid

the business district in Mahattan.

spectacular residential neighborhoods, compared to which SF looks like a Victorian shanty town- on a largely unbuildable site- doesn't even come close to being in the same league.

No comment.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

=20

s planet anyway.

l?pagewanted=3Dall

The bottom line is health of the people living there. According to American= Lung Association rankings, SF and a greater NYC metro area are nearly iden= tical on a lung disease per capita scale. See page 16,

, People at Risk In 25 U.S. Cities M= ost Polluted by Short-term Particle Pollution . Also "The city's greenhouse gas emission levels are relatively low when mea= sured per capita, at 7.1 metric tons per person, below San Francisco, at 11= .2 metric tons, and the national average, at 24.5" from a report produced b= y the city though. No one would argue any one high density metropolitan area is 'better' than = another, the best anyone could do these days is show it is no worse or negl= igibly worse.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Well, I don't, I keep on going straight ahead at Davis and that leads into Hwy 50. Right after El Dorado Hills life turns back to normal.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Last Christmas I went to Jakarta. There is no traffic jam like that :-)

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

Oh yeah. But at least people keep smiling:

Had that happen in Italy. A (very pretty ...) woman became really upset that I blocked her way with a big truck. Couldn't help it because nothing around me was moving for miles. After she leaned on the horn for a couple minutes we looked at each other and both of us burst into laughter.

Then farmers on those Vespa "vegetable tuk-tuks" stepped off and started selling stuff in the middle of the street. Almost every situation can be turned into a business opportunity :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

That road looks very familiar! Nice photo series though! Brings back lots of memories and makes me think about the next trip into that part of the world :-)

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

I grew up in Queens and couldn't live in Manhattan. It's a weird place to live.

Aha. That's more than I could take. Were you trying to be close to Columbia U?

They sure are.

Ethnically they are more NY than Manhattan.

Outside an Indian restaurant in Manhattan there's a doorman dressed as a Sikh, but he's really a Puerto Rican.

Outside an Indian restaurant in Queens if there's a guy dressed as a Sikh, then he's a Sikh.

Ethnic restaurants in Manhattan are like an amusement park. It's Pirates of the Caribbean.

"NY moments" happen less in Manhattan. If you see a Spanish woman talk to a Russian woman through another who speaks Spanish and French, and another who was a French teacher in Russia, then you are in Queens.

We've got that. Most neighborhoods don't have roaches.

But our ballet is better than yours.

zero, and remove the last word.
Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

No, I had a friend in New Orleans who moved to Manhattan, to become a psychiatrist at Mt Sinai. I helped her move and spent a lot of time visiting over the years. The world of high-end Jewish psychoanalysts in NYC is weirder than weird. NYC is probably the neurosis capital of the world, past LA even.

We have a Nepalese restaurant in the neighborhood.

We probably win on opera. I can't stand either.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Chinatown restaurants seemed to be full of Chinese help. At least they didn't look Puerto Rican.

...and the street hookers speak Ebonics.

Just rats.

Keep it.

Reply to
krw

Yeah, I'm about 35 miles from downtown Atlanta. I'm on the SW edge of the metro area, so the traffic isn't a disaster like the North side.

Reply to
krw

Very cool book: The Fortune Cookie Chronicles.

It's about the amazing infrastructure of the worldwide Chinese restaurant industry. The book mentions the Louie family. Louie invented the fortune-cookie making machine. We bought his building, from his kids, in San Francisco; it was making cookies up to the last minute.