great pics

John Larkin, President Highland Technology Inc

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com

Precision electronic instrumentation Picosecond-resolution Digital Delay and Pulse generators Custom timing and laser controllers Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links VME analog, thermocouple, LVDT, synchro, tachometer Multichannel arbitrary waveform generators

On a sunny day (Fri, 03 Feb 2012 08:32:01 -0800) it happened John Larkin wrote in :

It was snowing here too, minus 9°C seen, lower expected, maybe -13°C in the weekend. The wind is east and carries all that cold here.

3 cm snow so far. It is not so bad, in the afternoon the thermostat switches of the heating as the sun is in my window in the south, and it still is above 21 C. Good weather to sit behind the keyboard... Too flat land for skying here.
Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Beautiful pictures indeed! We are having the annual cold spell which occurs when the siberian cold airmass moves westwards. This time the airmass seems to have taken a slightly more southern route, as it is not as cold here in north as it could have been,

-15C maybe, with -20C predicted for the weekend.

Didn't Martin Brown mention in some of his recent post that the more exposed arctic seawater changes wind patterns to a more southward course? Don't know if this is what's happening but (without checking) sure looks like it.

Regards, Mikko

Reply to
Okkim Atnarivik

Checking from here

see in the "Northern Hemisphere / 30-day animation" how a snowy finger extends from Russia to the southern Europe, while northern Germany and even southern Sweden are left green.

That is an ugly surprise to those poor southerners who aren't accustomed to it - I hope they'll manage.

Simultaneously the "N. hemispheric ice area" plot in the same web page indicates receeding polar ice cap compared to previous years. But I guess it is too simplistic to stare at one single correlation only, when the system is as complicated as weather.

Regards, Mikko

Reply to
Okkim Atnarivik

Climatologists are great at predicting things that have already happened.

--

John Larkin, President
Highland Technology, Inc

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

They can't even do that without fudging the data.

Reply to
krw

Now John, you can't tell me that your post wasn't designed to tweak Sloman any less than my "If NASA scientists are right the Thames will be freezing over again" thread! Mikek

amdx

I thought they were beautiful pictures. And Sloman is self-tweaking anyhow.

--

John Larkin, President Highland Technology, Inc

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com

Precision electronic instrumentation Picosecond-resolution Digital Delay and Pulse generators Custom laser controllers Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links VME thermocouple, LVDT, synchro acquisition and simulation

Yes they are neat pictures! But still... :-) Mikek

Reply to
amdx

ream

Don't be silly.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

They were nice pictures. And if if they were intended to irritate me, the pictures obviously failed.

That took John Larkin posting one more of his dumb misapprehensions.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

The AGW thing is interesting to me because I'm always amused by pathological science. A big part of engineering is separating causalities from superstition; we run into that problem roughly weekly.

--

John Larkin, President
Highland Technology, Inc

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

tweak

be

Granting your superstitious approach to anthropogenic global warming, it's not surprising that you have so much trouble with day-to-day engineering.

The only pathological science involved in anthropogenic global warming is the pseudo-science peddled by the denialist propaganda machine, and you really do have a nose for that - you posts on the subject seem concentrate on retailing the more ridiculous claims that they come up with.

If you are equally gullible about half-baked engineering rules of thumb it's not surprising that they you get into trouble every week.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

Mikek

Reply to
amdx

o tweak

l be

What a pity it isn't true.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

=20

Reply to
josephkk

=20

Oops clicked in the wrong place.

Snow happens to be a pretty good insulator. Igloos are not all that uncomfortable. Not exactly warm, but not all that cold either.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

e:

ed the

The last group of "Britisies" that got stranded in the Arctic and died would be the Franklin expedition.

There's some debate whether they died from lead poisoning - their bones did contain quite a lot of lead - or vitamin A poisoning from eating too much polar bear liver. Pneumonia may have been what finally did them in, but if it was it was merely the coup de grace.

80506

That doesn't seem to have been the problem.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

The link above doesn't work:

"Oops. Something has gone horribly wrong. It will probably go away if you refresh but the administrators have been notified just in case."

Got a better one? TIA

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

te:

It worked for me. Google threw up a bunch of stuff on the search string 'Franklin expedition "Vitamin A"' and it was the third on the list. Most commentators put vitamin A poisoning low on the list of possible problems for the Franklin expedition - other polar expeditions have run into trouble with dog and polar bear liver but there's no particular reason to suppose that it was an important contributor to the Franklin expedition's demise.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman