Solder Sample

When we order PCBs, especially first time, we ask for a "solder sample" board, which isn't guaranteed to be defect-free. I always glom on the ss for my board collection.

I'm not sure if the ss boards actually cost us more. Sometimes the board houses deliberately wreck them to make them unusable.

I got a whole panel this time.

I posted the start of this one, a long time ago.

Things are going slow lately.

We do populated solder sample boards, actually a lot of them, just for production to play with

Weeds out solder problems or components that cannot handle the reflow profile

Reply to
klaus.kragelund

What is the purpose of these? Is it to check the quality of the fab's work?

CH

Reply to
Clifford Heath

Presumably to test solderability. With ENIG gold, that's rarely an issue nowadays, although we have seen some ratty gold. I like to have a bare board around to look at. The really nice ones go up on the wall.

Science teaches us to doubt.

  Claude Bernard
Reply to
jlarkin

raw=1

What kind of rating would you give SF circuits? I know of them but never used them. I have a project in the work that will need a couple of boards, one will be a panel of small, probably 1 x 1.5 in, boards.

--
Chisolm
Texas-American

I'll ask, but we are unforgiving of bad board vendors. We mostly use Cirexx and Gorilla. We do always require bare-board testing.

That panel sure looks good, and the breakaway scores are really nice.

Lately we panelize anything smaller than, say, 4x6 inches. That panel has three fiducials on each side, in the corners. We usually have fiducials on the individual boards, too.

Science teaches us to doubt.

  Claude Bernard
Reply to
jlarkin