News server weirdness

Bits of usenet are acting flaky at the moment (the servers, I mean--we all know about the posters).

For Rick's "comparator with wide CM range" thread, Supernews and Google have 25 posts at the moment, but the thread is completely missing from eternal-september.org and aioe.org.

My "cute dpot hack" thread has 21 posts on supernews and GG, vs.

5 on ES and AIOE.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Bits of usenet are acting flaky at the moment (the servers, I mean--we all know about the posters).

For Rick's "comparator with wide CM range" thread, Supernews and Google have 25 posts at the moment, but the thread is completely missing from eternal-september.org and aioe.org.

My "cute dpot hack" thread has 21 posts on supernews and GG, vs.

5 on ES and AIOE.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

I can see all the posts on my E-S news server feed.

21 posts on my E-S news server feed.
--

Jeff
Reply to

we

I'm on AIOE and see all of his thread but with Common Mode spelt out in full and all nouns capitalised. Headers from the AIOE server I have:

I haven't counted them but there are about two dozen on AOIE here now.

I'm using nntp.aioe.org and Thunderbird 68.10.0.

The only bug I have noticed is that if I am impatient and try to view a thread posting whilst it is still fetching the headers I can end up with a null post that is blank in my local copy and never recovers. Any Follow-ups to the null post become orphan threads with the same name.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

I count 21 posts in your thread. I use Tweaknews. Thunderbird

68.10.0.
Reply to
Pimpom

Same count here. I use ES and T-Bird 68.10.0.

Reply to
John S

I'm on Giganews and I see two identical posts by you with the same time stamp. I haven't seen any other duplicate posts...

In the headers one organization is called "A noiseless patient spider" from electooptical.net and the other is "Aloe.org NNTP Server" from giola.aloe.org. Just in case it helps...

John :-#)#

Reply to
John Robertson

One was via Supernews, which hung up for awhile but apparently did actually post it, and the other via AIOE.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

So that is part of what you are talking about then. There should not have been two identical posts on Usenet. Too much traffic, or not enough?

Giganews is showing around 25 posts on Rick's subject (above).

John ;-#)#

Reply to
John Robertson

My original complaint is just about posts and threads going missing on ES and AIOE. I did the "rebuild index" thing and then unsubscribed/resubscribed, but it didn't change anything.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

I don't think they are missing on the server. I have posted the headers for the post I think you referred to as missing on AIOE as downloaded from AIOE. If the missing one has a different msgid then please post it.

I only see the "noiseless patient spider" version from here but with the full thread attached to it.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown