layout screw up.

Hmm well the report of a failure. I did this DC lab amp. 1st stage is an INA121. The way the front panel was arranged I could not fit my Int amp symmetric with the inputs. Big mistake!, my one side (+ in this case) see's a lot more stray capacitance. At least that's my first idea. High impedance, stray C. Duh, (As long as each side is 'equally weird' at the high gain end, I don't mind as much.) (I've got two x1k gain stages in series, I always thought that might be a tad too much.) (oh a LP filter and DC offset in between, gain on both ends The filters are switched R in to C, with a buffer/ follower.

I think rotating the toggle switches will fix things. (the art work has to change...NBD.)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Asymmetric capacitances can change common-mode hum into real hum.

Are you gain switching with toggle switches? That could get tricky. We often cold-switch (namely, only DC on the switches, with the actual gain switching via mux's or relays.)

A gain of 1e6 inside the same box is always interesting.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

LOL! 60 dB + 60 dB = 120 dB.

On your preferred 2-sided pcb with no ground plane?

External switch wiring?

Ain't gonna work.

General guidance:

Use ground planes.

Don't switch air wires.

Use low level gain to capture desired signals.

Transfer to separate amplifiers for desired gain.

Use strong decoupling to isolate gain stages.

Shield input and output signals.

Ground everything.

Decouple power supplies.

For your applications, RF starts at DC. Design with this in mind.

Reply to
Steve Wilson

The toggles are switching the input R, 10 Meg, ground and open. I'm thinking of using the open to look at high impedance's semi conductors at low K. I was thinking I should stick some bus wire on the toggles and measure the C with an RCL meter at least.

At DC! but there's a LP and offset. I don't think we'll use it all. And I like to leave an easter egg in my circuits.

Compared to the + side which oscillated/ or gain banged into the rails...( it's hard to tell the difference... gain-banging looses any phase coherence after a short while... )

The minus side looked OK, which gives one hope.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Hey, it's like skiing. If you're not falling down, you're not finding where your limits are.

Most of the time people will want gain here of there. not the full monty, but it's all gotta work.

(I like ground planes, high impedance stuff is weird. A giga ohm and pF, do the numbers.) OK I'm skipping the rest, it's not my first analog circuit with a lot of gain. This one is BW limited to a large degree.. ~a few kHz max, but that could change.

George H. I'm mostly here to talk about circuits and stuff, not to berate people. we all start somewhere.

Reply to
George Herold

"Crunch crunch", "Mmmm, good crow"*

Well after some hair pulling, hacking, rebuilding. I got everything 'happy'. I had to add shields to all the input and output lines.

If you want I can post pics of a really noisy gain of 10^6 pulse, with Zin of 10 Meg. I use to have this rule about total gain times bandwidth. I did a box with 10^4 gain and 1 MHz BW. And so I thought

10^6 gain and 1 kHz BW would be easier. But I guess there should be some input impedance parameter.

Oh almost forgot the pic of inside.

George H.

The sound of me eating crow, You should picture Laraine Newman from SNL, "Mmmm Good bass"

Reply to
George Herold
[snip]

NICE! Thru-hole and stand-em-up resistors ;-) ...Jim Thompson

| 1962 | It's what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.

I'm a throw-back to a bygone era. "Surfing on the trailing edge of technology" :^)

GH

Reply to
George Herold

Me too ;-) This SMT stuff is too small for me to cope with in hand-made G-jobs... so I do 60mil traces and thru-hole... and don't sweat the Amps ;-) ...Jim Thompson

     It's what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.

Very 60s. Wouldn't surprise me if you could solder an SM resistor onto those pads instead.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

One thing that's tricky about diffamps is that it's good to have a front-end passive lowpass to keep RF and ESD out and defend against overloads. But if you use RCs or even proper EMI filters, any asymmetry in the frequency rolloffs converts common-mode stuff into a real differential signal. If two RCs mis-match to 10%, you now have about 20 dB CMRR at some frequencies.

Part of the R in those RCs is the customer's.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Hah, I did that on another pcb. It was actually nice having a hole to hold some of the solder, and a place to stick the iron tip.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Right I've done that myself with 5% caps and 1% R's on a RC Int amp AC input. This has lnd150's (jfets) protecting the front, but that's all.

George h.

Reply to
George Herold

Hey, someone must make panel mount bnc connectors with a piece of skinny coax crimped on... or just the connector and we crimp it ourselves. We've already got someone's crimping tool, guess I could start there. OK digikey has a bunch. Do the cheaper ones always have the nut on the outside of the box. I like that better from a 'service' point of view. (I could use the cheapness to sell it to the boss, who is also interested in aesthetics.)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Den fredag den 3. november 2017 kl. 00.24.24 UTC+1 skrev George Herold:

if you aren't scared of ebay etc. there is tons of stuff like this:

why not make the pcb slightly bigger and use a pcb mount bulkhead bnc?

Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Something like this?

Reply to
tom

I like to solder connectors directly onto PC boards and avoid the labor of messing with cables.

Electronics is 70% packaging, and the other 50% is thermal.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

External connectors soldered on boards is one of the big failure issues with consumer electronics, the solder cracks. How do you avoid it happening?

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Fasten the connector to the board?

Reply to
krw

Use good connectors and solder. Like, we prefer the big old klunky B size USB connectors, because the Micro AB types tend to rip off a board.

The Vbite BNC is brutal; it hooks onto the board.

And our customers don't abuse stuff like consumers do. Usually.

lunatic fringe electronics