conference room tables

We're having a giant debate. Some people want to cut holes in nice
wood conference room tables and install metal grommets.

https://www.cableorganizer.com/metal-brush-grommet/

which I think will look hideous, and get full of spilled coffee and
donuts crumbs and get grody around the edges. Sometimes the tables are
loaded with food. And nobody has a good plan for how to stash/extend
cables, ethernet and power and video.

We want it to be easy to let visitors plug into power (their laptop
batteries are usually dead from playing games on airplanes) and
big-screen video so they can present their boring PowerPoint things.

I'd like to put the live cables in drawers, so everything is tucked
away when it's not in use. Maybe panduit on the underside of the table
to keep the cables under control.

These look nice:

https://ricewood.net/

Re: conference room tables

I'm with you about not drilling holes in nice tables. One consideration
is that power etc. connections change over the years so allowing for
flexibility is best - your shallow conduits that terminate on the
underside at each seat seems best, then you don't have an unsightly heap
of cables running across the surface either.

John :-#)#

Re: conference room tables

Yeah if the equipment is not a semi-permanent fixture you're better served
by installing outlets instead of just making holes and covering them up.

same website has this: https://www.cableorganizer.com/desk-outlet/built-in/

hmm, recycled fortune cookie factories :)

--
     ?

Re: conference room tables
On Mon, 24 Sep 2018 20:21:01 -0000 (UTC), Jasen Betts

Yeah. I'm fighting hacking holes into nice wood tables.

We are now too sophisticated to occupy former fortune cookie
factories. We have moved up to former furniture factories.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/va4rb5ff84sbpgq/P8160097.JPG?raw=1

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sn29x1hyp7f9upy/P8160101.JPG?raw=1

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2unmrzm7z1dltyv/P8160105.JPG?raw=1

Amazing that it didn't burn to the ground decades ago.

Re: conference room tables

+1 to not using those ugly things. Sockets under the tabletop or attached to a leg are fine. I've never understood why some people seem phobic about the idea of a flex on the tabletop going over the edge.

NT

Re: conference room tables

If we get custom reclaimed-wood tables, which aren't super expensive,
one option would be to have steel u-channel legs, so we could run
cables, or install jacks, in the legs, mostly out of sight.

Re: conference room tables

Yea:
 http://panteltje.com/pub/table_IMG_6589.JPG

Re: conference room tables

If you did that with those grommets there'd be no desktop space left, it would take 4x as long to set up & alter, and you'd be out thousands of bucks for the grommets.

NT

Re: conference room tables
On Mon, 24 Sep 2018 12:58:40 -0700, John Larkin

Aside form the hole for the Polycom on our table, We have a Netgear
switch  under the table so that any one can plug in.  You could put
power under there too.
Cheers

Re: conference room tables
On Mon, 24 Sep 2018 12:58:40 -0700, John Larkin

Remove the table, tell people to charge their laptops and tablets
before coming to a meeting, and hold the meetings standing up:
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stand-up_meeting
You will save the cost of the table, not have to look at the tangle of
cords, instill the need for planning, preparation, and organization
into the attendees, shorter meetings, and possibly making the room
available for more productive activities than meetings:
<http://dilbert.com/search_results?terms=%22standup+meeting%22
The only problem I can think of is that as fearless leader, you will
also be required to stand.  (Think of it as an isometric exercise).

Re: conference room tables

I hate those little grommets, except perhaps for an individual's
desk where equipment seldom gets moved. Much too awkward for a
conference room table.

The best conference tables I've seen have a rectangular
hinged section about 4" wide running down the middle.
When you flip it up, there is a cavity (with power, video
and network connex) big enough that you can plug wall-wart
power supplies (even the biggish Macbook Pro plug packs)
and shut them in. The hinged lid has a 1/2" gap which is
closed visually by a brush, like a door draft excluder.

Recommend!

Clifford Heath

Re: conference room tables

Like this:

<
http://muveapp.co/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/conference-table-with-power-conference-table-brilliant-conference-meeting-table-designs-conference-tables-allow-you-to-power-your-meetings-conference-conference-table-conference-table-power-module.jpg

and

<
https://ww1.prweb.com/prfiles/2010/09/15/4525764/0_mesatroughdetailfusion.jpg

Just make sure the trough is deep enough to conveniently
stash the cables and power packs.

Clifford Heath

Re: conference room tables

Not a good thing, IMO.

My large modular L-shaped office desk has channels underneath that can
be slid in and out. _Much_ nicer than holes and grommets. Interestingly,
this desk is about 40 years old yet they already understood. No cuts in
the veneer whatsoever.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Re: conference room tables

Two words:  Harbor Freight  :)
They have a 4-foot, 12-outlet power strip (Item# 96737) for $25.
Sometimes as low as $15 on sale.

Link:  https://www.harborfreight.com/12-outlet-super-power-strip-96737.html

We put two of these on the underside of the conference table; one on each side.

....and then we drilled the hole for the dreaded metal grommet to have a place for the HDMI cable.  (I was a proponent of wireless screen cast, but got voted down).

I should probably mention that our conference room table is nothing special.
At least I got it re-painted, got rid of the projector, and had a new drop ceiling installed...

Re: conference room tables
Have you not seen these ?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/3-Power-Sockets-Pop-up-Pull-up-UK-Plug-2usb-Ports-Kitchen-worktop-Extension-Lead/10022081538?iid11%1843866171

---

Re: conference room tables

Those are terrible!  We have them in the office desks, but that center
lid is usually missing because it has to be taken out to feed the cables
through and then replaced, which gets difficult when there are some
cables running through (e.g. 2 powercords and 2 monitor cables plus
mouse and keyboard).  Or it flips out when the cables are moved a
little.  Then it is usually lost.

Our desks have power distribution at the underside, but that is too
inconvenient for use by vistors.  It is only used for fixed installation.

Re: conference room tables

Easily remedied even for temporay connections: Slide-out cable trays
underneath with spring loaded ports every xx inches. That's what my
office desk has and it's 40 years old. Similar color as the wood so not
very visible from the side. If not used the port flaps remain up so
there aren't any gaps that would show  the cables in there. The trays
slide out just enough to lay in another cable or plug something in. This
also makes sure there are no wild "cable sausages" on the floor or
hanging from underneath the table because it all stays nicely tucked
under the surface until at a controlled exit point.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Re: conference room tables

I don't want to hack a hole in the table, but other people do. This
one isn't so bad maybe:

https://www.cableorganizer.com/images/metal-brush-grommet/images/6891-074.jpg

The cover is attached, and we could put a section of wire cableway
below, where wall warts and extension cords could be stuffed. Crud and
dust would fall through the wire trough onto the floor.

A laptop and a conference phone will be on the table almost always,
and their wires could sneak out through the brush. For guests, we'd
flip up the door and reach down for the extension cord. They would
normally use wi-fi, and we could unplug the HDMI from our laptop and
hand it to them.

We are dumping projectors for gigantic TV sets.

lunatic fringe electronics

Re: conference room tables

The conference cables I talked about have a similar thing
but with a wood-grain lid and no flange. Even less intrusive
than this aluminium thing.

Clifford Heath.

Re: conference room tables
On Wed, 26 Sep 2018 09:59:49 +1000, Clifford Heath

The aluminum things are ugly. Maybe just a finished hole, no lid, with
the wireway below?

Everything should be wireless.