Brittle Fracture Ceramic Capacitors

While researching failure modes, I came across a number of articles on brittle fracture of ceramic capacitors that may be of interest to some. Sorry for the wrap.

these-years

tion/mlcc02/index.html

lley.pdf

And if you can stand the nervous high-pitched squealing voice, EEVblog #1037 has some additional information. I only made it halfway through, but still got some interesting tidbits.

Steve Wilson

Lately we tend to panelize smallish boards. We generally route between the boards and leave little web thingies to hold them together.

Some people here have suggested that v-scoring would allow more boards per panel. Sounds like snapping apart scored, stuffed boards could be a stress hazard to caps.

This thing slices scored boards apart, less stress than manual snapping.

We don't seem to have problems with cracking ceramic caps. I wonder if some sizes are worse than others.

Most of our caps are bypasses, so if they open, we usually wouldn't notice. We would notice shorts.

Are you having troubles with cracked caps?

We don't use surface-mount film caps. They are really bad.

Digikey will save you time by selling pre-cracked caps:

Gotta go: donuts are calling.

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature

Sorry

-all-

/solu

IAOMa

1037

ll

aka "mouse bites" you can get a tool for them

Lasse Langwadt Christensen

I suspect MLCC's may be more vulnerable since they are taller.

That's the problem. You can't tell unless they are in the signal path.

What's wrong with film?

Reply to
Steve Wilson

Hah! A narrow nibbler!

That sounds like a good idea. Who sells them?

Reply to
Steve Wilson

;)

if you are not doing a lot of pcbs this is probably a more reasonable price

Lasse Langwadt Christensen

We have a table-type pneumatic version.

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature

They delaminate, or get junk between the layers. When we need a film cap, which is infrequent, we use an enclosed leaded part.

Digikey has gone from honest to Photoshop fake:

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature

Good info. Thanks.

Do you think the cutter-type could add enough sideways stress to crack a smd cap or resistor?

Reply to
Steve Wilson
[...]

Another solution might be mounting tabs. From an article in Electronic Products,

"The most popular currently available surface-mount solution to this problem is the molded SMD package with formed metal tab leads that run down the side of the part and under it. These compliant terminations are free to flex back and forth with the board and effectively eliminate cracking or solder joint integrity problems."

Now all we have to do is find who makes them.

Reply to
Steve Wilson

Thanks. I thought the problem would be melting during reflow.

What about solid aluminum?

Reply to
Steve Wilson

SMD cap cracking isn't a problem for us, or for things like cell phones or car electronics. Exotic resistors with tabs will be hard to find and big and probably cost 50x a standard part.

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature

Everyone makes them. The problem is nobody wants them because they're priced with military parts.

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Tim Williams

I'm not worried about 0406 resistors or capacitors. it would be difficult to apply enough bend to crack them. I'm more concerned about MLCC, which is the main object of the links I provided.

What about solid aluminum?

Reply to
Steve Wilson

We use aluminum electrolytics and polymer alums all the time; no problems.

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature

Good news. Thanks.

Reply to
Steve Wilson

MLCC's can fail shorted. That can be fun. Look at the EEVblog video #1037 mentioned by the OP and also #1036

Reply to
Rob

Might as well watch the whole series. See Master Class diagnostics and troubleshooting at work. View cutting edge video techniques combined with exquisite narration. Drive yourself crazy with high-pitched nervous screaming, repetitive narration, glacial progress. Get it all here in one place:

EEVblog #1035 - Flaming DIY Power Supply!

EEVblog #1036 - PSU Fire PCB Repair
EEVblog #1037 - Solving Ceramic Capacitor Cracking

Steve Wilson