a break from disease

We were talking about BFT25 somewhere.

The junctions look logarithmic from about 100 fA to 10 mA, as far as I went. Must be a really tiny thing.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Looks almost use-able as a voltage-controlled resistor with a reverse beta of ~4 over 5mA

Reply to
bitrex

Did you try the transdiode connection - C to B shorted?

It is what the analog guys like for precision diode.

--

-TV
Reply to

I don't understand the last two sets of data (with base supply negative)

- is that because Ib is now part of Ic flowing into the base voltage supply - can one say it has beta then?

piglet

Reply to
Piglet

It is sometimes difficult to decode your uA from you mA. Try printing better or use a sharper point on your pen.

Reply to
John S

Where are the units not obvious?

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

That was me... I guess I should try and measure the gain at ~1 MHz and 10nA to 1 uA.. or something like that.

So silly question; Are your graphs at what I would call reverse bias? Collector negative wrt emitter.(and base) Well the second one Vb-e you've left the collector floating?

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Really low-current beta would be interesting.

The reverse-beta one was. The fA leakage graph goes both ways.

Yes. That's just to characterize the b-e junction and emitter resistance. I was wondering at what current the b-e diode would go ohmic, but it's past my last 10 mA point. I've been doing some Spice sims that may not agree with real life. Maybe my model needs tweaking. Needs more work.

The cork popped merrily, and Lord Peter rose to his feet.
"Bunter", he said, "I give you a toast. The triumph of Instinct over Reason"
Reply to
jlarkin

But, that doesn't tell you the emitter resistance; it tells you Rbb, the base spreading resistance. There's not much Rbb contribution when the collector is taking most of the current, it's collector-connected-to-base that tells you the emitter resistance.

Reply to
whit3rd

*sniff sniff* a thing of beauty, for sure. Almost as good as the BFG25A.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

The base-emitter curve is exponential to 10 mA, which means that the emitter resistance is low enough that I don't have to worry about it in my current application. I guess I could try to resolve the two resistances somehow.

It's an amazing diode. Maybe half a pF, a few fA leakage, pretty low series resistance. C-B is similar but good for more voltage. It's miles better than a PAD-1.

Small schottkies are mostly ohmic at 10s of mA. There's a zero forward TC point there, too.

The cork popped merrily, and Lord Peter rose to his feet.
"Bunter", he said, "I give you a toast. The triumph of Instinct over Reason"
Reply to
jlarkin

That was the same chip in SOT-143 wasn't it? Long gone.

The cork popped merrily, and Lord Peter rose to his feet.
"Bunter", he said, "I give you a toast. The triumph of Instinct over Reason"
Reply to
jlarkin

The BFG and BFU series are/were faster but otherwise similar. The BFG25A/X was an improved drop-in replacement for the venerable and beloved MRF9331.

The regular BFG25A came in the normal SOT23, iirc.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs