sanding off chip markings?

Cordless not cellphone. When the ac power dies the cordless phone's base dies too and you can't call from it. It's essential to keep at least one wired phone.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Hello Spehro,

< Long outage >

For how long? The whole time? Did the towers have generators?

Ah, but a steak just ain't the same if it didn't come off the charcoal barbie.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

"Taste the meat, not the heat." Hank Hill

Reply to
Richard Henry

too

My cordless phones are on the closest UPS, and there is at least one regular phone in each building that has telephone service. Three at the moment, soon to be five. ;-)

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Hello Graham,

too

Our first one was the best, from Cincinnatti Microwave. Unfortunately the stuff from smart companies often seems to vanish from the market. It had a spare phone battery that was kept charged inside the base. When the power went this battery took over as a UPS. Of course, that would have only worked for a few hours I guess.

Wired phones: Ideally at least one should be a plain old phone with hardly any electronics in there, even a rotary still works in many places. Or keep a 2nd one in the garage that is connected after the outage happened. Sometimes when lightning was the culprit for an outage this might have taken out some of the connected electronics.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

dies too

Wired phones are the way to go, when giving credit card and social security #s over the phone... are the digital spread spectrum cordless phones as secure? All my cordless phones are analog...

Reply to
mrdarrett

Hello Michael,

Our very first one was true spread spectrum, the others still use digital schemes that are hard to decode. But plain old analog ones can be dangerous. I remember when a former neighbor (that was in Europe) called her doctor, got a quick appointment at 9:00 am and right after that the burglars began to loot their home. In broad daylight. We went over there later because the police gave hints about securing homes better. That's when I asked her whether she had used that phone. "Umm, ... yeah ...... oh drat!"

So it's not just credit card info that's dangerous to communicate. Talks about vacation plans can be especially damaging. But the eaverdroppers would have to know where the talker is located and whether there'd be enough to loot. Either talker, not just the one on the analog phone.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

dies too

I've seen this too. In fact the first cordless phone I bought had this but it used primary cells which wasn't the best idea.

I still have one rotary. Hasn't been used in years though. My first 'electronic' phone gave out dial pulses rather than tones too.

That's a very good point. It takes a lot to fry a rotary phone.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Hello Graham,

We have one that's almost guaranteed to be fry-proof: Western Electric from 1927, in the kitchen (works!). It has a separate ear piece and a horn in front so you have to stand at attention while speaking. It's got a crank so I guess it could be considered rotary :-)

Of course I have disconnected the generator behind the crank.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Now that cheap coin cells are available (1 euro per 24 - 6 types at 4 of each) I'm not too worried about coin cell prices.

Lithiums are more expensive, but depending on the vendor go for a euro each or a card of 5.

Thomas

Reply to
Zak

brother-in-law

a CD

(read

job. I

alone for

than 2

(yes,

tracks

yet is

week.

any...

My guess is that the next step, if it is not already out, is that it can play mp3 from dual layer DVD+/-rw. Probably go for a week (24/7 = 168 hours) without repeats.

--
JosephKK
--Schiller