sanding off chip markings?

What do you want for it?

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

One Panasonic was my favorite. AM/FM and several shortwave bands. It was big though, and took 4 D-cells. No LED or LCD. No digital tuning/scanning; it had whacking great air-gang capacitors. Pretty good tone; did have treble/bass controls. I bought it to take on my first trip to Europe, a 3-month business stint in southern Germany, because, after Vietnam/Thailand in the 70's, I dreaded the prospect of being around non-English-speakers for so long. (I need not have worried about that!) Curled up in my hotel room late at night, I turned on the BFO and scanned 20-meters for American "hams" using SSB. The only gripe I had with that radio was that its oscillators were not stable; I had to listen with thumb and forefinger on the VFO, other hand on the BFO.

--
Michael
Reply to

Orleans. :-(

would be

components, e.g.

nuclear

There's a

next

logo!

Oh goody! An SED-Bay auction!

Reply to
Richard Henry

Michael wrote: (snip)

(snip)

"No; wrong; sorry" (as Brits say) the one I have is *not* G.E., it's RCA. I just looked.

--
Michael
Reply to

Hello Spehro,

Yes, although I had some bad luck with cheap sources and lesser known brands (white stuff showing up at the crimp ring etc.). And our local Dollar store just croaked :-(

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Geiger counter (tick, tick, tick) or ionization chamber? If it's a real Geiger counter, it's quite resalable on eBay. List it and let us know.

Reply to
mc

Just for lark I looked it up on Ebay

Panasonic RF-B20 item# 5870209940

$10 HEY! than I read little further and it turns out to be the Service manual only. $16 for shipping is a rip off.

--

Boris Mohar

Reply to
Boris Mohar

Yeah, I saw that. That guy earned a neg for charging $16 for shipping when he actually paid $0.90 postage.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

..... and *that* sort of c__p is one of the peeves that keep me the heck away from Ebay. Finding out who to do business with and who to shun is just too darned much work (for me).

--
Michael
Reply to

Tick-tick-tick. As for your suggestion, see my comment to Spero's comment, below.

--
Michael
Reply to

That kind of person is what I call an "outwitter," somebody who thinks he has figured out the "real" way to make money which other people "aren't smart enough" to do.

He doesn't realize that the rest of us are far wiser...

Reply to
mc

I just found a cpu on Ebay UK that was £0.99 buy it now with £15 ! postage.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Service

away

too

I got a negative feedback for cancelling a "But-it-Now" purchase when my PayPal account didn't work (and they would only accept PayPal) because the expiration date for the credit card listed with PayPal had passed.

Reply to
Richard Henry

The problem is that eBay auction fees are levied on the listing price and the final sales price, not including shipping, so it encourages that sort of thing.

On many cheap items they can jack up the shipping by $10 or $20, list the item for $0.01 and make good money with almost no fees if it sells. That kind of seller typically rules out substantial discounts for combined shipping and either prohibits or charges a substantial fee for local pickup.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Hello Michael,

2

When we needed a new stereo I bought a Rio, not the small player but a larger stereo, before they went under. So it was deeply discounted. To my surprise it could also play CD-RW and MP3. But I have never played any...

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Hello Michael,

When we had those "gray-outs" there were people who found themselves unable to open their garage doors. They just didn't know how. Others could not use their phones because they had managed to eradicate the last old non-cordless set.

We just fired up the old Weber, hung some beer in the pool to keep it cold and had a jolly good time.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

The mind boggles !

And the instructions warn you about that too ! RTFM

Best answer.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Sure does. But, I learned the hard way that the garage door opener gears have to be lubed annually, otherwise the (plastic) gears will grind themselves to dust...

Let others learn from my error!

Gear kit look something like this:

What, the cell phone batteries were dead?

Alas, my brownout was during the night... but I'll keep this in mind for the next daytime brownout.

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

Hello Michael,

Is this the gear inside the motor? The gear that rides on the long screw of ours is metal but I haven't looked inside the Genie box. Except once when I had to repair an electronics board in there. I was surprised that it was quite modular, could take it inside and didn't have to repair it while on the ladder.

They called us from their cell phone but the problem was that they were waiting for an important call on their land line number. Plus you don't know how long the cell tower will keep up when everything around it has been dark for a few hours.

We always keep a stack of D cells and a fluorescent camping light at hand. Although, during most power outages we preferred candles. The only thing my wife complained about was no quick coffee in the morning. Firing up the Weber takes 1/2 hour. So, I went to the garage, bent some heavy steel wire, placed the percolator on top and a rechaud underneath. The little burners for the fondue pot, also often used by caterers to keep food warm. And whoopdidoo, she had her morning coffee.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Heh, I did the same thing early this year. ;-) But I sprung for the kit with the assembled replacement sprocket for another $10 or so. Well worth it. Got the parts from that same place in California too.

But to open our garage door without power you just pull a handle and it disengages from the shuttle. When the power failed for that long blackout a few years ago that hit the Northeast US and parts of Canada, I was just leaving the garage. I pressed the remote button in the car to close the door and nothing happened. Got out and started troubleshooting. Hmmm no light on the opener. Fuse? Hmmm. no lights in the garage at all. Go into the house. No lights. Check down the street. No lights. The radio stations were still operating, and of course so was the car radio.

Cell phones were all working. But very little light once it got dark, just a few people with generators and the (then fairly rare) LED solar garden lights.

Natural gas pumping station was still working, so our BBQ was okay.