Powder Iron app notes

I need some good app notes for choosing powder Iron cores. I used to use CWS Bytemark, but their website is AFU. I'm not even sure who the big mfgs. of iron cores is. Micrometals?

Specifically I am looking for a large core 4"-5" to run in a resonant circuit at about 1.9MHz. App notes will help me choose a material and size and number of turns to minimize loss. Application is a Class F push-pull AM ham radio transmitter. I would prefer a standard iron mix rather than any of the esoteric recipies, but hell I'll try any flavor if you tell me it tastes good.

73 Bob N9NEO
Reply to
Yzordderrex

I need some good app notes for choosing powder Iron cores. I used to use CWS Bytemark, but their website is AFU. I'm not even sure who the big mfgs. of iron cores is. Micrometals?

Specifically I am looking for a large core 4"-5" to run in a resonant circuit at about 1.9MHz. App notes will help me choose a material and size and number of turns to minimize loss. Application is a Class F push-pull AM ham radio transmitter. I would prefer a standard iron mix rather than any of the esoteric recipies, but hell I'll try any flavor if you tell me it tastes good.

73 Bob N9NEO
Reply to
Yzordderrex

Hello Bob,

Somewhere on there they have their booklet (in sections). I've got it in paper so I haven't looked in a while.

4" to 5" will be a challenge to find. This is the common range of sizes:

Consider stacking them to yield the desired saturation behavior.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Take a look at the Magnetics, Inc "Kool Mu" cores. Their high-flux ac loss is way less than powdered iron. I've smoked the paint off of Micrometals cores in switchers.

John

ditto. And I used a 50mm OD KoolMu toroid for a 2500W 100kHz transformer.

OTOH I am using some Micrometals E450 cores right now. -8 or -2 would be the go for Bob.

Cheers Terry

Reply to
Terry Given