FM radio question

I use an armband FM radio when jogging. It has a switch "local", obviously for nearby stations.

What does this do, at the circuit level, and why? How would you measure its quality or performance?

--
Rich
Reply to

In the old days of analog tuners, (with the big knob) some of the tuners' f ront ends saturated for lack of a better word, when in the middle of transm itting country. ?Le three fifty thousand watt stations withinh a half mile and on fairly flat terrain. tis would cause probems. ghost stations with au dio from more than one of the ral ones, all that. But this was analog.

The doodad you have is probably digital and has a seek function. Putting it in local makes it only stop at the stronger stations. Ususallu it deos not change the gian of the RF preamp stage like in the old days becauase the t echnology has supposedly so improved over the years.

However, that does not explain why a forty year old Pioneer receiver gets m ore stations clearer than a newer and better rated digital tuner. you canno t overload htese new packaged front ends really, probably because their spe cs are bullshit. Just like many years ago when they went to Dbf instead of uV for sensitivity. The uV spec was supposed to be into 300 ohms. then a co uple of people started quoting it into 75 ohms. so now, standards are neede d. Then they went to Dbf. I don't like it but it did solve a problem. I wou ld stil rather it be quoted in uV.

Reply to
jurb6006

Put an attenuator into the antenna line. A simple resistor in a simple device with a simple switch across to bridge it.

A test bench for radios is something like this:

many many dollars.

w.

Reply to
Helmut Wabnig