RPM Meter

Thanks.

I spent hours on this one - and then it hit me - I don't have a router !!! :-D (just wireless broadband)

You don't happen to use ESET system security do you?

Reply to
David Eather

The key may be the hint about using PASV mode, especially if you're behind any sort of firewall at all (including software firewalls).

A normal command-line FTP client will usually use "active" mode, in which it opens a port on which it wants the server to "push" the file being transferred... it sends this port number to the server in a "PORT" command. If you're behind a firewall or NAT router (or both), the firewall/router has to be smart enough to intercept the contents of the PORT command, and "open a pinhole" in the firewall and/or rewrite the port number. Many simple firewalls/routers can't do this.

The alternative is "passive" FTP, which browsers tend to use and which command-line FTP clients often support (either via a "-p" command line option, or a "passive" command to the client shell). In this mode, the client sends the retrieval command, awaits the response, and then sends the "PASV" command... the server opens a port, and sends back the port number to the client. The client then opens an outbound connection to the server port... this usually gets through the firewall OK and doesn't require the rewriting of the command.

So... try "ftp -p hostname" rather than just "ftp hostname", and it might work better.

Dave Platt

Did this work?

Mark.

Reply to
markp

Sorry - I just tried it. Works great.

Reply to
David Eather

Well at least you now have access. But I bet you're like me, if something is supposed to work and doesn't you'll want to find out why..:)

Mark.

Reply to
markp

I never intended to make this difficult. I just asked my ISP to give me a place to post files. I haven't ever had problems accessing this or other peoples' FTP sites using Firefox.

It also shows up as ftp://66.117.156.8/

I don't know much about this stuff. If there are any settings my ISP could change to simplify access, please let me know.

My cabin automation system bounces status and control files through this FTP site; see CABIN.TXT, which is updated once a minute by a netbook PC in the ski boot closet.

ftp://66.117.156.8/CABIN.TXT ftp://66.117.156.8/Auto_wired.jpg

I wrote the code in PowerBasic, shelling out to the Windows 'ftp' command here and there.

Note that Truckee is, in the summer, usually the coldest town in California, and often the coldest in the country. It hit 32F last night, when San Francisco only got down to the low 50's. It's 53F here right now.

John

I doubt there is anything wrong your end John, I can access it and so can most others. It's likely to be a port blocking thing IMO, either at the ISP or a firewall of some sort (personal or hardware) in the way. It could even be a modem/router blocking port 21 on outgoing accesses. The OP has tried a number of clients (unsure whether they were on different PCs though), and passive mode, which would indicate outgoing port 21 being blocked.

Mark.

Reply to
markp

Having said that he can access other ftp sites, so that's probably not it.

Reply to
markp

That resolves anybody's DNS issues, David has a problem somehow getting through his security setup. Mostly something to do with passive FTP, and he was unlikely to change that for only one site's access problem.

What you could do is have dual ftp/http read access to the same file area, so your existing ftp stuff that works for you now keeps working, and people can access your stuff with the more common web (http) protocol as well.

It means your ISP needs to setup for you a basic http (web) server with no special magic (accept for a "GET|HEAD" only filter), and link the ftp file directory area to it. Something like that, specifics depend on server OS.

From the public's PoV, they use the same url body you publish, except with an 'http' in front, and totally transparent for your current ftp access.

Ftp is the usual (well, these days one uses more secure ssh and scp) protocol to write stuff to one's own or controlled remote web (http) server.

You don't have to write or serve a web page with http, so there's no real difference as far as the method of offering image files like you do now.

Looks like this for one file (allowing for my site and naming):

or, if one looks on the directory:

Or, for basic privacy, you can have:

and, there's nothing shown for

The difference is that the JohnLarkinNoDir directory has a blank index.html file, preventing casual http file browsing. People could still access via the ftp server for your current offering.

See:

for a combination of no index.html file, instead a README.html tags some info on the page -- this is with the apache web server -- plus a frequently updated list of files (in the case, linux-kernel .configs for what I'm running).

I don't link my ftp server to my http files, though ftp://grrr.id.au/ does link to the ftp server here, nothing there for electronics though.

I don't know your geography ;) We go a little below 0'C overnight some nights in winter, but no snow here. I'm about 100 miles NNW of Melbourne, Australia, not Florida :)

Grant.

Reply to
Grant

Something is hokey.

For anonymous FTP, any ol' person can download... but can't upload.

But I password-protect client-sensitive upload/download logins.

Mostly I don't bother with loading public material in the FTP directory... just allow download access to, for instance, my SED page. ...Jim Thompson

Phoenix, Arizona, Inventor of many civic-oriented innovations such
as automated garbage collection has added a new tool to its Fire
Department safety equipment... addressing problems with accidents
involving so-called Smart Cars: A Hydraulically Assisted Spatula.

For all of those URLs I get:

"The connection was reset

The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading.

  • The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few moments.
  • If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network connection.
  • If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure that Firefox is permitted to access the Web."
--
Peter Bennett, VE7CEI
peterbb4 (at) interchange.ubc.ca

Peter, I suspect you have a setting issue on your end. I'm using Firefox v3.6.8, and each of those pages pops up almost instantaneously.

Are you inside a company where some IT personnel (the oxymoron of all oxymoroons :-) have fiddle-farted with _your_ firewall? ...Jim Thompson

Phoenix, AZ, a city noted for many civic-oriented inventions such
as automated garbage collection, has added a new tool to its Fire
Department safety equipment... addressing problems with accidents
involving so-called Smart Cars: A Hydraulically Assisted Spatula.

I get *exactly* the same

Reply to
David Eather

Then get rid of dimbulb. Here are 82 of his sock puppets for you to start with, if you're man enough to try.

THE DIMBULB SCORECARD

Abbey Somebody AnimalMagic Archimedes' Lever AtTheEndofMyRope AwlSome Auger BarnCat Bart! BigBalls BillyPilgrim BlindBaby

10 Bungalow Bill Capt. Cave Man CellShocked ChairmanOfTheBored Chieftain of the Carpet Crawlers

Copacetic Corbomite Carrie DarkMatter DarkSucker Do I really need to say?

20 Dorothy with the Red Shoes on Dr. Heywood R. Floyd FatBytestard FigureItOut FunkyPunk FieldEffectTrollsistor FunkyPunk FieldEffectTrollsistor George Orr GoldIntermetallicEmbrittlement

Hattori Hanzo Herbert John \Jackie\" Gleason"

30 HiggsField IAmTheSlime ItsASecretDummy Jupiter Jaq Kai LargeMarge life imitates life Lil Red Riding In The Hood

lurch MadManMoon

40 MakeNoAttemptToAdjustYourSet snipped-for-privacy@thebarattheendoftheuniverse.org

MeowSayTongue Mr.Eko Mr. Haney MrTallyman Mycelium Mycelium Neanderthal OutsideObserver

50 Pieyed Piper Phat Bytestard RoyLFuchs scorpius

SkyPilot SomeKindOfWonderful

Son of a Sea Cook SoothSayer Spurious Response StickThatInYourPipeAndSmokeIt

60 Sum Ting Wong Sum Ting Wong

SuspendedInGaffa The Great Attractor

TheJoker The Keeper of the Key to The Locks

The Last Mimsy The Loner The_Giant_Rat_of_Sumatra TheGlimmerMan

70 TheKraken TheQuickBrownFox TralfamadoranJetPilot snipped-for-privacy@thebarattheendoftheuniverse.org

UltimatePatriot UpGrade UpYerNose ValleyGirl VioletaPachydermata WallyWallWhackr

80 WarmUnderbelly 100WattDarkSucker
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell
[snip]

Ass-Kisser Ass-Kisser Ass-Kisser Ass-Kisser Ass-Kisser Ass-Kisser Ass-Kisser Ass-Kisser Ass-Kisser Ass-Kisser Ass-Kisser Ass-Kisser Ass-Kisser Ass-Kisser Ass-Kisser Ass-Kisser Ass-Kisser Ass-Kisser

What a dork! ...Jim Thompson

                   Spice is like a sports car...
     Performance only as good as the person behind the wheel.

You know that list of clients you have on your website Jim, are they real?

Reply to
markp

Implied threat of , is that stalking, silly, stupid?

Threats (implied or otherwise) are not good tactics, as you never do know how the threatened or perceive threat may react. Doing this stuff in public really does make you look so immature.

Grant.

Reply to
Grant

What threats? I was only asking as I'm wondering whether he really has a business by putting posts like he does up, and whether those were real clients and not a made up website, that's all!! How can a question like that possibly be threatening?

Mark.

Reply to
markp

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal

email: hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

[snip

markp... Noted Ass-Kisser, needs to follow through on his threats, so I can have my lawyers apply...

I need to augment my retirement income :-)

markp... Noted Ass-Kisser, doesn't understand that he can say anything he wants _here_ about _me_personally_, but when he threatens a business, my lawyers start salivating :-)

But he's a dork, an idiot, illiterate (elicit illicit) and ignorant, and thinks (like Larkin, whose ass he's kissing) that charge is not conserved and that he will always remain a Noted Ass-Kisser :-) ...Jim Thompson