RPM Meter

Thanks Markp. No joy I'm afraid. But I have to let it go before I start looking like George Costanza moment (zipper stuck on a piece of cloth)

Reply to
David Eather

I have to beard-shaver my prolific pubic hair to avoid zipper snags ;-) ...Jim Thompson

                   Spice is like a sports car...
     Performance only as good as the person behind the wheel.

Now there is an image I could live without.

:-D

Reply to
David Eather

Funny, 'cos seven others found the copy I put up on

Grant.

Reply to
Grant

Sorry. I haven't been clear. I got the image on grrr.id.au - thank you indeed. I'm just giving up on retrieving / viewing from ftp://jjlarkin.lmi.net - although I like to follow every link and have a read.

Reply to
David Eather

Okay, I misunderstood what you gave up on ;) Stuff happens.

Cheers, Grant.

Reply to
Grant

Oh for snot sakes. This is USENET. JT has been over the top, even by my generous standards, recently though. I would rather not see others joining in the silliness.

Reply to
JosephKK

Heck, his insults are lame and toothless. Nothing to email giganews about.

John

You might put up with that kind of thing John, but if he insults *me* (I was called an 'ass-kisser') I will send off a complaint, and giganews are bound to investigate it. Maybe they'll find all his other insulting posts too and think that is inappropriate behaviour and shut down his account. After all those who do nothing just allow it to continue unchecked.

Reply to
markp

You have a lot to learn about the Usenet, Grasshopper.

Reply to
krw

He enjoys upsetting people, so the best thing to do is ignore the silly old geezer. He's obviously getting daft, so let him be.

He keeps trying to insult my wife, and is so stupid and senile that he doesn't realize that the only person he is insulting is himself.

John

It's really annoying 'cause I can download lots of stuff from FTP sites like this one

ftp://ftp.cis.uab.edu/pub/hyatt

Reply to
David Eather

I had a firewall issue with lmi.net at one point too. It turned out to be a misconfigured home router.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal

OK, try this, a web based ftp proxy server:

put jjlarkin.lmi.net as the ftp server, tick anonymous and passive boxes.

Mark.

Reply to
markp

Sorry, that's actually a web based ftp *client*, not a proxy server. I don't think your browser sees any ftp accesses at all, just http (the web based client does the ftping in the background and renders to html).

Mark.

Reply to
markp

I've sent complaints to abuse@... for certain behaviour that I've not yet seen in s.e.d ;) Real abuse is far more extreme than people here are posting, there's certainly no stuff that would get an account killed in what JT posts.

Besides, a complaint usually results in a warning, someone's got to be really bad to lose their account.

Most of my complaints to an abuse@... are a result of repeated attacks on Internet facing box, not from Usenet postings. These days I tend to block the IP and not bother reporting them, some countries don't care, so that's the only option.

Grant.

Reply to
Grant

Just discovered how rusty I am in talking 'ftp' manually :)

ftp> open ftp.cis.uab.edu Connected to juniper.cis.uab.edu.

220-Welcome to the UAB CIS ftp server 220- 220 Name (ftp.cis.uab.edu:grant): anonymous 331 Please specify the password. Password: 230 Login successful. Remote system type is UNIX. Using binary mode to transfer files. ftp> dir 200 PORT command successful. Consider using PASV. 150 Here comes the directory listing.

- - -

for John L's site:

ftp> open jjlarkin.lmi.net Connected to jjlarkin.lmi.net.

220 jjlarkin.lmi.net FTP server (Version wu-2.6.2(1) Wed Dec 5 16:35:31 PST 2001) ready. Name (jjlarkin.lmi.net:grant): anonymous 331 Guest login ok, send your complete e-mail address as password. Password: 230 Guest login ok, access restrictions apply. Remote system type is UNIX. Using binary mode to transfer files. ftp> dir 200 PORT command successful. 150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for /bin/ls.

- - -

I don't see a big difference in how the sites respond to a manual ftp session, the text after response code numbers is optional, for humans.

Perhaps your ISP might offer an insight?

Grant.

Reply to
Grant

2001) ready.

Not sure, but later one requests email address as password and the former accepts a null password. Nicht Wahr?

Reply to
JosephKK

2001) ready.

They should accept anything in return for an 'anonymous' user's password, your email addr is the old style polite thing to put in there (couple decades ago). I usually say "please" :) Less to type, and, that's what I entered on both sites above. Sys-admins only want the IP addr from logs these days.

Null might not work.

It's normal for unix box to not echo anything (not even '*' per char) for password entry.

My ftp server doesn't ask for a password (anonymous access only). Confusion to the script-kiddiez!

Grant.

Reply to
Grant

2001) ready.