DC motor opinion/question

I have an electric lawn mower that, upon taking the cover off to clean all the grass junk out, discovered it uses a permanent magnet DC motor and a bridge rectifier. I started thinking, in a Tim Taylor sort of way (you know, the sitcom Home Improvement) that maybe putting a capacitor across the motor would give it slightly more power.

Now I know that even if this does improve how it runs, the improvement won't be very much, if even at all. I used to have two 2900uF/200V capacitors around, but I'm afraid they may have been thrown out. So my question is, do you think this is even worth doing, or will it be a waste of time? I don't know much about electric machines, but can readily design a power supply or embedded system. I also am well aware of the safety issues with regard to high voltages and exploding capacitors, and possibly putting a lot of stress on the bridge at startup. I can deal with those.

What I want to know is, would doing this help anything?

Reply to
hondgm

You'll get about 15% more RPM from the motor. Not worth fooling with if you ask me.

Might be better off with a variac and a large conductor extension cord. ;)

Reply to
mook johnson

Probably not. The rotor/blade mass acts as a flywheel, is pretty effective. You'd have more effect on the motor noise than on the speed or power (it'd hum softer).

Reply to
whit3rd

A very large capacitor would give almost pi/2 => 57% more voltage.

The motor could overheat.

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

You need to allow for higher than normal line resistance on the peak current charging the cap would cause?

Grant.

Reply to
Grant

pi/2? no way. Max is sqrt(2) => about 40% more voltage, if that. Probably blow the rectifier though. The rectifier conduction angle would drop precipitously (say from 130 degrees to about 10 degrees) with a concomittant increase in forward current.

Reply to
JosephKK

..

if you

No - sqrt(2) is the ratio of peak to RMS. The ratio of peak to average from a full wave rectifier is indeed pi/2/

I'll agree that because of limited conduction angle you won't get that full peak voltage.

kevin

kevin

Reply to
kevin93

And the motor like most reasonable loads run to RMS voltage and power, thus RMS voltage not average voltage. Or more simply put; average voltage, current, and power are not in play here.

Reply to
JosephKK

no

Reply to
cbarn24050

f you

depends on the load, no load =3D same speed

=A0;)- Hide quoted text -

Reply to
cbarn24050

.

if you

no it wouldnt

the rectifier is in more danger

Reply to
cbarn24050

om...

ean

otor

t of

ment

00V

=A0So

be a

an

ing

ith if you

t.

A dc motor is not a reasonable load.

run to RMS voltage and power,

Nothing like.

Again not even close

=A0Or more simply put; average

That at least is true

Reply to
cbarn24050

om...

ean

otor

t of

ment

00V

=A0So

be a

an

ing

ith if you

t.

A motor will tend to respond to the average voltage. Only heating loads have a response proportional to the RMS value.

Actually because of the diodes it is probable that the inertia of the motor will act somewhat like a capacitor anyway so if the voltage across the motor is measured it will be larger than the average voltage expected and so the conduction angle of the diodes will be less than 180 deg. This will result in less of an increase in voltage when adding a capacitor.

kevin

Reply to
kevin93

Didn't they used to use smaller capacitors to reduce arcing at brushes on DC motors?

Reply to
Greegor

Not to reduce arcing -- those are more to suppress the EMI generated by the motor, by preventing the motor leads from becoming nice antennae.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Tim Wescott

G > Didn't they used to use smaller capacitors G > to reduce arcing at brushes on DC motors?

TW > Not to reduce arcing -- those are more to TW > suppress the EMI generated by the motor, TW > by preventing the motor leads from TW > becoming nice antennae.

Thanks!

Reply to
Greegor

you

You need to do your physics better.

Reply to
JosephKK

Not if there is a different voltage applied.

JosephKK

It was done to reduce EMI, it changed commutator arcing to lower voltages and currents in some cases.

Reply to
JosephKK

Interpole type DC motors bring the arching down on the brushes with out losing too much efficiency..

Reply to
Jamie