RPM Meter

You seem to be under the impression this newsgroup is all about real, practical solutions. It's not, sometimes ideas are just as important. Even though they may not be practical, the ideas may spark other ideas. Anyway, anyone doing a practical design which they need to work should be able to work out for themselves whether it will or not, otherwise they are blindly copying someone else's design from someone who hasn't signed a contract and is therefore can't be sued if it doean't work, and hoping for the best.

Let me tell you something. You plaster your company name all over this newsgroup. What do you think a prospective new customer, or even an existing customer, of yours will make of you sniping at others so often if they read these posts? They are very likely to do some searching before commiting to doing business with a new designer, after all it can be somewhat risky, they will want to protect themselves by finding out as much as they can about you beforehand.

Well here are a few things they might think. Maybe they'll think you seem to be extremely egotistical in that you want people to fully specify the problem, and complain when they don't, and for it to be you who suggest a practical impelentation. Maybe they think you are hooked on needing the praise and aclaim that it gives you. Maybe they'll think you obviously see others who post incomplete circuits or just ideas as some kind of threat, or somewhat inferior. Maybe they'll think you are unstable, that your are stressed because business is failing, that you might not be around to complete the project they want you to do. Maybe they might think you're just going senile and are frustrated that you might be losing it and that's why you need to keep proving yourself all the time.

None of the above will leave them with a positive impression of someone they are thinking of doing business with. I'm not suggesting for a second that any of this is true. It actually doesn't matter whether any of those things are true, or even if they are close to the truth, it's the impression to your customers that counts.

These posts remain in search engines much longer than the newsfeeds hold current threads. They appear as mirrors on web pages. Maybe one day your business needs a big customer to survive and they read this, and decide to check on all your other previous posts just to be sure, and then come to one of the above conclusions and reject you as a result.

So, I have nothing against you as such, but I do think this sniping will damage your business, and you personally, if it carries on. Take a step back, do some meditation or get some therapy or do whatever you have to do, and think about the potential harm this behaviour is doing. Seriously, this will definitely be harming your business one way or the other.

Mark

Reply to
markp

John "The Bloviator" Larkin outposts me almost 2:1 here... look it up.

My very last comment on crap circuit postings.

Enjoy! ...Jim Thompson

                   Spice is like a sports car...
     Performance only as good as the person behind the wheel.

Since you lied to me in your email when you said you would "lay off", I'm posting the contents of that email here on this public forum for all your prospective customers to see. Considering you even managed to have a pop at John in that email I fully expect you to be out of business soon. Well done Jim.

"Your criticisms may or may not have merit.

Do you think a prospective customer will think me a bad guy because I insisted CORRECTLY that charge is conserved?

For that matter it wouldn't surprise me that I get positive responses, because any REAL engineer with half a brain will see the error and pomposity of Larkin's posts.

Maybe you lack the skills to see his errors?

I'll lay off, only because I'm seeing nothing but shit that belongs on SEB.

If real stuff shows up, I'll reply privately to the OP. As I'm doing right now with the VR post.

The general populace will lose the exposure. Or maybe not... it appears that most lurkers are too ignorant to understand the errors.

Did you ever get your capacitor driver working? Really? Were the numbers I cranked out by gradually squeezing some "spec" from you incorrect? If they were incorrect, wasn't it you who mis-spec'd?"

Reply to
markp

But a 555 is the highest example of the chip designer's art.

Reply to
David Eather

[snip]

Quoting my E-mail to "markp" 9obviously something of a village idiot...

You must be a village idiot. Did I post ANYTHING untruthful? You dummy! You did me a favor :-)

Is you capacitor driver working? Will it ever ?:-)

Hard to believe such ignorance :-(

GFY. ...Jim Thompson

                   Spice is like a sports car...
     Performance only as good as the person behind the wheel.

Yes, you're only after the zero crossings, like FM radio, amplitude doesn't matter much.

Or use a self biasing comparator, RC on signal to get chop point reference, it's a common circuit.

But some paint + optical, or VR on existing gear teeth is much easier ;)

A stepper might power LCD tacho display too?

Grant.

Reply to
Grant

Reed switch, couple bike 'computers' I've had use the same concept.

Grant.

Reply to
Grant

That would work for low revs, but may have difficulty at high revs due to the mechanical nature of the contacts (they would have inertia, and would probably get mechanically stressed after a while). I'm unsure of the OPs max rpm requirements.

Mark.

Reply to
markp

Yup. You can get a lot of power out of a stepper.

John

max

Yeah, I had to put some sort of de-bouncer on the input. This was my final design project for an instrument design course in college. (early 80's) I had some clock made from a 555 that worked OK, but drifted with temperature. I might have had some carbon composite resistor in there... not knowing any better at the time.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

On a sunny day (Thu, 29 Jul 2010 09:48:04 +1000) it happened David Eather wrote in :

It sure is a clever chip, and you can make stable oscillators with it with a frequency that does not depend on the supply voltage much. However, in this case, if you generate a fast duration pulse to drive an analog meter, you still need a voltage stabiliser, as you need a constant amplitude.

The PIC driving a LCD however, has an internal oscillator that has an accuracy of

+-2% from 0°C to 85°C, and +-5% from -40°C to +125°C, this no longer needs the regulator, other then a simple zener perhaps to make 5 or 3.3 V, and no calibration needed. Better display possibilities, added calculation possibility for other things, like long time average, possibility of setting alarms, possibility of loop control. All in one PIC chip mind you.
Reply to
Jan Panteltje

you might not like it but I've seen this works with no changes for the crank sensor in pretty much all cars.

hct14 VR_in >--10u---+--22K--+-|>o----> out | 1n | _|_ | 22K +--10K--+ | | | +---1K--+-o

Reply to
langwadt

That is a very cool way to set the threshold bias for the upper schmitt. And add a little time dithering, if you ever need it!

The 22K+1n is only a 22us time constant. How narrow do the VR pulses get at high revs? I guess it's mostly a deglitcher and doesn't actually integrate much.

John

the standard bosch crank sensor is 60 minus 2 teeth, so frequency in Hz ~=3D rpm

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

in:

amplitude.

of

regulator,

needed.

control.

But the cost of the time to program it outweighs the cost of a voltage regulator.

I am not actually a big fan of 555's - I just like how some "features" (like the switching generated power spikes) annoy some peoples.

Reply to
David Eather

But seriously for a simple and temporary RPM meter without a chance to act "funky" I would have put some form of one-shot and an analogue meter as the ideal solution (fast, simple, cheap, little circuit/firmware debugging). It's not without possible problems, but whatever they are are very unlikely to be related to the problems in the original device.

Reply to
David Eather

You could use my world-famous double-tach circuit...

ftp://jjlarkin.lmi.net/DoubleTach.jpg

John

Actually I can't. I have never been able to view or download anything posted at ftp://jjlarkin.lmi.net

Reply to
David Eather

I guess he has to go after John since he's plonked practically everyone else on the group, presumably to "punish" us. (Ha, ha, I can't hear you, nanner nanner nanner!) ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich the Cynic

Reflective opto sensor, or almost anything conveying the same idea.

BTW, this was also my suggestion, but you beat me to it. ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise