Round LCDs

Nagle

That's where they mount the COG controller. For OLED, it could be a flexible PCB and folded backward.

There must be some area on the glass for the big chip, usually a rectangular chip.

Reply to
linnix

One (slight) problem: The rectangular part of the board extending below the active part of the display. That'll screw up the design. The intent is to fit an LCD into a space previously occupied by a round gauge. If I could put up with the square part behind the bezel, I'd just slap a QVGA display behind a round opening.

The Toshiba unit might suffer from the same problem (hard to tell in an enclosure). But I'm hoping that the people who put all this money into R&D did so with the 'its gotta fit in a round hole' constraint in mind.

Steinbach\'s Guideline for Systems Programming
        Never test for an error condition you don\'t know how to
        handle.
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

What do you know about OLED/PLED availability? A number of makers such as OSRAM have decided to drop the lines over the past couple of years.. not sure if it is a technical problem like poor lifetime or something else, but I know I have quite a sum on the shelf 'invested' in such displays that are no longer made. The premier maker in Taiwan seems to have no website any longer either. Any insight?

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Flexible interconnects are used on typical (i.e. rectangular glass) LCDs.

[snip]

On the back? Like on every laptop display I've ever seen?

--
Paul Hovnanian  paul@hovnanian.com
Have gnu, will travel.

These connections are going to the controller. The controller itself needs to have 500+ connections to the glass.

Yes, but this approach is expensive. Especially, if you need backlight (almost certainly for color display), the controller must be mounted outside the display area (front or back).

Reply to
linnix

I have a friend working for an OLED factory in the Shanghai area. They are ramping up productions of QVGA panels for cell phones. They don't seems to be phasing out OLED. I am going there in a couple of weeks and should be able to check them out. One of my customer wants a display wrapped around a cylinder, which is hard to do with glass.

Reply to
linnix

LOL.

   \\|/  \\|/     it is illegal to kill them."    Perna condita delenda est
Bob Larter

not

Hmmm. I do not see any reason for that. Please consider trying to enlighten me. NRE would be hell and edge to edge display has long been a chimera. .

Reply to
JosephKK

I think i might try for an inscribed (color) VGA window instead. .

Reply to
JosephKK

gauge

I don't know she is kind of blurry. Must not have dipped her in the fixative soon enough. (See Type 107 film / Bill Cosby) .

Reply to
JosephKK

diameter.

gauge

may

below

LCDs.

=46or QVGA about 260, for VGA a bit over 1000, for HDTV over 3000. For HDTV they may well have started with several chips.

Sounds like you actually require true round section pixelmap. Very ugly hard. Description by analogy to standard rectangular sizes is misleading. Do you want rectangular coordinates or polar coordinats?

Reply to
JosephKK

Are you asking linix or me?

Rectangular coordinates are OK. The controller can either ignore (silently) pixels addressed outside of a circular area. Or I can exclude those addresses in my driver.

This has got to fit into a round enclosure, 100 mm in diameter. A small inactive border around the edge is OK. The opening in the panel is actually about 90mm and I can go smaller than that for the actual displayed area. But if it starts to look like a big dark area with an itty bitty display in the middle (like a 100mm diagonal square fit in to the space and masked off to look 'round') and the customer is going to go 'yuck' and opt for an analog unit.

We're trying to make as flexible a display as possible to suit customer tastes (think user selectable 'skins') and be able to display much more and varied data than is possible with an analog, or a pre-formatted LCD can handle.

Very funny, Scotty. Now beam down my pants!
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

diameter.

round gauge

they may

of

(larger

extending below

be a

LCDs.

be

Then we might approach it as a hexogonal or octogonal active area, about 320 pixels max between any pair of edges and a custon clipping area. .

Reply to
JosephKK