Round LCDs

Would be expensive, but possible. How about OLED? It can be round, curve, concave or convex.

Reply to
linnix

My understanding is that LCDs are a fairly easy item to make custom, although I'm pretty sure that making it round will be a wrinkle that not all the LCD houses in the world can cope with.

Thus there are a ton of small LCD houses out there, even for "standard" rectangular text and graphics displays.

I had the "easy to make" bit of info pointed out to me by an Avnet FAE; you may want to see if they still rep whoever does it if you don't want to dig out the information yourself.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Tim Wescott

True round glass would be impossible to make. However, cutting corners (literally) for better fits is possible. I have seen polygon LCDs from the factory, but toolings are extras.

Reply to
linnix

Something like octagon-shaped might be easier.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Who makes them? Sunlight readable as well. Up to 100mm diameter.

Not a square unit masked off. This has to fit existing round gauge locations.

-- Paul Hovnanian mailto: snipped-for-privacy@Hovnanian.com

------------------------------------------------------------------ Error: Keyboard not attached. Press F1 to continue.

Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Yes, it can be done with LCD, but better with OLED. Many small cell phones and mp4 players are switching to OLED.

Reply to
linnix

Eg.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Forget it unless you have LOTS of zeros after your quantity (and it won't be cheap).

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

I forgot to mention: Not a fixed segment display, but a color QVGA.

-- Paul Hovnanian mailto: snipped-for-privacy@Hovnanian.com

------------------------------------------------------------------ It's easier said than done. ... and if you don't believe it, try proving that it's easier done than said, and you'll see that it's easier said that `it's easier done than said' than it is done, which really proves that it's easier said than done.

Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Oh yea, just a little detail.

don

Reply to
don

Toshiba makes a 62mm round LCD display.

It doesn't seem to be in their standard catalog, though.

John Nagle

Reply to
John Nagle

If it wasn't color, round is not a problem, I worked for a few months in a LCD plant in college.

Do you want a marine or avionics LCD?

Steve

Reply to
osr

Electronic globe Electronic fishbowl in concert with fisheye cameras?

Hmm..

Reply to
Greegor

Yes, OLED can be implanted on any material, even T-shirts. Power consumption is somewhat between reflective LCD and back-lighted LCD. For color LCD, you need back-light anyway. Higher power is the only thing stopping us from switching from reflective LCD, but this may or may not be a problem for the OP.

Reply to
linnix

Marine grade is fine. Color would be nice, too. But I'm not sure if that will be a firm requirement (inevitably, the customer will ask for it after a monochrome design is 90% complete).

I had a dog that would chase anyone riding a bicycle.
In the end I had to take his bicycle away.
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

This is good. Really good. And seeing as how its 2007 info, they may have somewhat larger units available.

Thanks. I'll pursue this.

Porsche: If I went any faster, I\'d have to eat airline food.
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Some LCDs are fast enough you can sequence backlight colors to give something inbetween mono and full color. Not sure about patent restrictions on the scheme tho.

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Cool. Looks like there is a bit of recent action on this sort of product. See also this one from RuckyGordStar:

Applications--- watches (small ones), vehicle instruments (larger ones) and perhaps personal electronics such as an iPod.

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

I'll take her! You can keep the watch!

Reply to
a7yvm109gf5d1

This display (not a watch, it's a test of your ability to concentrate) was at the SID conference in Los Angeles about a year ago.

Sorry, no idea about the (presumably) Korean young lady, but there's plenty like that in the general neighborhood for me. And I could get some delicous dolsot bibimbap too (yum):

and kimchi