RoHS => tin whiskers?

They camera kind are inconvenient in some ways-- they are theoretically banned entirely from youth sports change rooms, but I don't think anyone cares so long as you don't whip it out with the kids in there. I can squeeze mine (Sony-Ericsson) in the pocket to send a busy signal and stop the ringing.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Why would any honest man have any problem with the phone company, government etc. knowing their location 24/7? I can also order this information over the net without warrant or other such legitimate reason..

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

On Sun, 04 Jun 2006 18:05:23 -0700, Jim Thompson Gave us:

It is standard in So. Korea, and the kid can turn it off too.

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs
[snip]

Jeezus, it's a small world. My wife did -exactly- the same thing with

-exactly- the same (model) phone.

Wife's did after blowing the water out and a little bake in the kitchen oven.

Why do you want the government knowing where you are at all times?

Dunno. Personally, I was quite satisfied with my analog Motorola Flip-phone. Voices sounded like real human beings.

Reply to
Wes Stewart

In another thread, I characterized Engr. Thompson as being "old-fashioned".

I hereby retract that statement. Willingness to give up civil rights to a warrantless government is actually quite modern.

Reply to
Richard Henry
[snip]

I hope you'te not being serious. But in case you are an NSA employee, perhaps honest men are worried about the dishonest men at the phone company (Joe Nacchio), in the government (too many to list), etc. having this information.

T. Jefferson said long ago, that among our unalienable rights are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness, and I can tell you I'm not happy when big brother or the phone company is watching my every move.

Reply to
Wes Stewart

I'm not sure who wrote this:

but it's exactly the kind of thinking that leads to totalitarianism: "If you're not doing something I understand, you're up to no good." The American way is that we are assumed innocent until proven guilty, not the opposite.

Reply to
mc

It's security risk prone to abuse.

An abuse waiting to happen..

Reply to
pbdelete

Sounds like a man who had an agenda.

Perhaps he hadn't discovered...

Up to 85 years, guaranteed. Subject to status. Conditions apply.

DNA

Reply to
Genome

Errr..there is bismuth bird shot...

Reply to
Robert Baer

Some Japanese companies are using bismuth in their lead free solder.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

That traceability is for the SS..

Reply to
Robert Baer

in that order.

John

Has an absurdly low melting point though, or else a nasty mushy range. Uggh, mushy solder, ewww!

Tim

--
Deep Fryer: a very philosophical monk.
Tim Williams

On Mon, 5 Jun 2006 01:21:55 -0500, "Tim Williams" Gave us:

The best solders are the Rhodium alloyed solders. The technology came a LONG way before this RoHS CRAP came along.

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs

Oh, yeah! At Wal-Mart, check out the cell phones with pre-paid calling card plans. The phones go for about $50, and they're really simple. Not even a connection for using the internet from a laptop, I'm afraid... :(

I was browsing for a Net10 phone... 10 cents/minute, and if you recharge the phone every 30 or 60 days, your unused minutes roll over.

Anyone have good/bad experience with Net10? Looking to buy a second phone...

About 2 years ago, I bought an LG phone from Verizon (pay-as-you-go plan), $15/month, rollover minutes, 10 cents/minute (with a 25 cent connection fee), since my wife and I don't use the cell phone much anyway. Verizon has since raised the rates significantly - IIRC, I think they even have something like a 99 cent/day maintenance fee... sounds expensive.

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

On 5 Jun 2006 01:41:50 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com Gave us:

One can get REAL cellphone service for $35 a month. What idiot would pay a dollar a day for a pay as you go plan?

Any of you that do should be shot for making their plan seem viable to them.

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs
[...]

thanks for this link, very interesting information. After 4000h (less than 1/2 year) at 60°C, TO220 already had 148um whiskers - 1/3 of the gap between the leads!

National concludes "whiskers are not expected to be a problem on this package".

I disagree strongly. Ten years service life at > 60°C component temperature are, sorry, _were_ not unusual for industrial devices in the pre-RoHS times.

Oliver

--
Oliver Betz, Muenchen (oliverbetz.de)
Reply to

"Spehro Pefhany" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

As long as 'honest' does not get redefined by the government of the day...

--
Thanks, Frank.
(remove \'q\' and \'.invalid\' when replying by email)

You omitted something. The 93% RH @ 60°C test condition _is_ very unusual. Certainly not representative of any application I'm familar with (okay, maybe one, but the customer was an idiot to mount the electronics in that location, conformal coatings or not). Even if the air is quite humid at ambient, the heated air inside a product will have much lower RH. It's an artificial condition specified to accelerate the testing.

"...humidity above 85% would cause condensation in a non-uniform chamber and thus corrosion which was directly correlated to whisker growth"

And Microchip notes that they stopped testing at 3,000 hours under the same conditions because the corrosion was so bad they couldn't get good data:

That doesn't mean it's not a problem, of course, but it's not an obviously intractible problem.