NASA: "Damn the tin whiskers, launch the shuttle"

On the subject of the shuttle electronics which DO have tin whiskers; NASA has decided to ignore best advice on the new launch and push ahead anyway.

Reply to
Robert Baer

On Wed, 14 Jun 2006 07:05:09 GMT, Robert Baer Gave us:

Memories of O-Ring discussions and launch site ambient temperatures come to mind.

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs

Does the shuttle have to comply with RoHS?

-- Good day!

________________________________________ Christopher R. Carlen Principal Laser&Electronics Technologist Sandia National Laboratories CA USA snipped-for-privacy@BOGUSsandia.gov NOTE, delete texts: "RemoveThis" and "BOGUS" from email address to reply.

Reply to
Chris Carlen

No.

Reply to
zwsdotcom

Management can rule law of physics I presume.. :-)

Reply to
pbdelete

What management team have you ever seen NOT believe that?

Reply to
Brian

On Wed, 14 Jun 2006 07:38:05 -0700, Chris Carlen Gave us:

No.

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs

On Wed, 14 Jun 2006 12:49:37 -0500, "Brian" Gave us:

More proof that you are not really an engineer.

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs

NASA - "Damn, I knew we shouldn't have gone with that lead-free solder. Oh well, we'll get it right on the next shuttle - too bad about the crew though..."

Reply to
Ross Herbert

Military, medical & aerospace electronics are all exempt because the dangerous unreliability of lead-free solder are all too well known!!!!!

Reply to
ian field

N.A.S.A. = "Need Another Seven Astronauts"!

Reply to
ian field

or, "Not Another Seven Astronauts?"

Reply to
Ross Herbert

We'r just waiting for the misstake that someone put a RoHS board into any of these kind of application areas. Like wifi/gsm equipment in airplanes, that need to source power somewhere. Or careless repair ppl ;)

Reply to
pbdelete

AW CRAP!!! - I live under a flight path!!!

Reply to
ian field

going up or coming down?

martin

Reply to
martin griffith

Whats NOT funny is that these risks are VERY real. Not just tin whiskers, but also the vibration causing joint failure.

Reply to
Brian

On Thu, 15 Jun 2006 21:03:45 GMT, "ian field" Gave us:

You should both be taken out and shot.

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs

Remember, for a lot of electronics, the government has a COTS mandate (in order to save money).

Reply to
Robert Baer

Airplanes have these things called circuit breakers....

COTS toys short out - breaker pops - boring but safe flight

Reply to
cs_posting

Suppose someone mixes up replacement material for more critial equipment ..?

You also have the medical arena, automotive electronics, or simple whisker prone electronics controlling non-whisker prone one. Like a PC controller..

Reply to
pbdelete