RoHS => tin whiskers?

I read another posting (swatches) that tinfree lead may cause troublesome tin whiskers (shortcircuit?) already at 0.8mm. If this is a problem. Maybe it's possible to "paint" the assembled pcb with some lacquer that will prevent any misshap?

Remains the issue of leadfree solder that will absorb copper traces ;)

Reply to
pbdelete

On 04 Jun 2006 11:36:40 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@spamnuke.ludd.luthdelete.se.invalid Gave us:

The word for today is "WETTING". Until you can grasp that term, your opinions here in this thread will not amount to much.

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs

Yet another area where lead free falls over. The development over time of brittle joints is the final nail in the coffin it seems to me.

And all this is to deal with a non-existent problem !

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

On Sun, 04 Jun 2006 13:25:30 +0100, Pooh Bear Gave us:

I want to make a T-Shirt and sell it We put lead in solder for a f***in' reason, folks...

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs

Maybe hollywood should start with lead free western movies .. :-)

Anyway, is the lead-ban the only one causeing critical problems? I don't hear anything about the other banned materials.

Reply to
pbdelete

I'd wear one.... this RoHS nonsense has no chance to survuve - physics and chemistry won't allow it. And I thought we had forgotten about tin plague... Once the EU funds for adopting it have been consumed (which may or may not be any time soon), they'll have to abandon it. I guess their next try will be to ban nitrogen from the atmosphere... such a rude ganag of morons.

Dimiter

Roy L. Fuchs wrote:

Reply to
Didi

I was told that the whiskers won't appear when the alloy experienced temperatures above 230 degrees. Some 10 degrees above the melting point.

Rene

Reply to
Rene Tschaggelar

Is the lead ban the only one to cause serious trouble?

What about these? * Mercury * Cadmium * Chromium VI (Also known as hexavalent chromium or Cr6+) * PBB * PBDE

I have a feeling there will be unoffical lead products available & imported..

Reply to
pbdelete

Cadmium is required in CdS and CdSe photocells.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Really ? One problem is not melting the components too !

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Standard leaded solder will be available for repairs and maintenance.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

National did some tests on their components:

Reply to nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

On 4 Jun 2006 06:20:16 -0700, "Didi" Gave us:

I hate rude ganags!

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs

Hello Graham,

Possibly the end of the Italian Western...

Isn't there an exemption for CdS cells already on the books? Somehow I have a hunch that there will be tens of thousands of exemptions over the next decade, plus tons of electronics on European landfills because of premature failure. For the industry that might not be all that bad because they get to sell the average citizen a new stereo every few years. Yet they could claim that 'tis not their fault.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

I know that Silonex applied for one but I don't see any other manufacturers having done so.

I wonder if we'll see a famine of consumer electronics ? Maybe repairmen will come back into demand ? Maybe it'll finally be attractive to fix instead of throw ?

Talking of which I have 2 vcrs and one tv all needing what are probably simple repairs. Both vcrs developed mechanical problems not electronic. All JVC btw. I've not been impressed by their longevity, whilst my ancient Orion ( branded Matsui ) vcr is still functioning 18 yrs later and the 14" tv of even older vintage from the same Dixons group is too !

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Yeah. I have a a JVC stereo radio/tape/CD unit. I got JVC because I thought it was quality stuff. About 8 months after we got it, the tape player crapped (we only played it for an hour on the weekend). This will be my last JVC product.

John

Reply to
John - KD5YI
[snip]

"N" dropped her Motorola StarTAC into a footbath at her pedicure place ;-)

Immediately turned it off, opened it up to dry, but 48 hours later it didn't work.

So she got a new phone.

A few weeks later I decide to scavenge the battery pack from it before I tossed it. But, out of curiosity, I turned it on first... came right up ;-)

I've always been happy with Motorola phones, but I need to get a new one to meet the requirements of E-911.

Can you get a cell phone anymore that DOESN'T have a camera ?:-)

...Jim Thompson

I just fixed one of our remotes this morning-- a Sony- I thought it might be junk gumming up the keys because a pattern of them were not working, but it turns out to have been a bad printed 'jumper' (same material as the contacts for the silicone keys, probably a graphite-loaded polymer ink) on a single-sided paper-based phenolic board. It died after 5 years or so. The bad 'jumper' measured about

2.7K whereas the good ones were less than 100 ohms. (There was no damage to the PCB to justify the failure). I just jumpered over it with the usual magnet wire. Easy enough to trace out from the group of non-functional keys.

OTOH, we put a perfectly good 27" Sony TV, with matching remote, out for the trash last year. It must have been 15-20 years old. Similarly had a working ca. 1978 13" Sony with the clunk-clunk tuner that I gave away. It even survived water being poured into the vents (the screen turned green, it was unplugged immediately and left to dry, then worked perfectly).

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany
[snip]

But I have a bunch of JVC stuff that I've had for more than 15 years without a problem.

...Jim Thompson

On Sun, 04 Jun 2006 21:53:32 +0100, Pooh Bear Gave us:

The VHS cassette transport mechanism in it is likely to be a JVC unit, however, as they were the sole OEM maker of them for many years.

Luck-O-The Draw.

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs