Re: Which university produces good analog EEs?

> > Chris J> > > >> Joerg wrote: > > > > But it's already there. Guys like Jim have tons of designs ready to go. > > All it would take is getting it into the market. AFAICT something like a > > 1uA cathode current version of a common ref chip would really take off > > in the marketplace, provided it's less than 10c in qties. It doesn't > > even need to be adjustable of have a large compliance range. > > > > The 10c part is the problem - the stock market analysts probably won't > knowingly let a semiconductor company embark on a new product with less > that 50% gross margin, and that sounds hard for 10c, tested etc. Anyway > their marketing guys would get some big ideas and try to sell it for $1.50 > then cancel it a couple of years later because nobody bought it. On the > other hand, maybe there is a Chinese semi mfg who would be happy to accept > a bit less margin.

You'd better have a 50% gross margin, in that business. At the cost of the fab and the support people (forgetting inventory and the inevitable losers), it's a necessity. China doesn't seem to have economics as its first priority, as US companies must.

--
  Keith
Reply to

From commies to neocons, in one generation!

John

Nah, they're just as greedy, opportunistic and short-sighted, just with lower costs and a different environment. Warms the cockles of your heart, it does.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

I disagree. Many of their businesses make no sense, other than as loss-leaders to "build market share". Of course many corporate yahoos here are falling for the line and investing in China too.

Kinda like the Japaneese a couple of decades ago.

--
  Keith
Reply to