Astronomer Avi Loeb Says Aliens Have Visited, and He ?s Not Kidding

Of course they have. Our galaxy is teeming with other Earth's.

Fred Bloggs

Not the most convincing of arguments.

points out that we've never seen an any kind of image of the object - the speculations about it's shape are based on the way it's brightness varies with time in a way that makes it very likely that it is extended (that is, not spherical) and tumbling.

"A 2019 paper finds the best models as either a cigar-shape, 1:8 aspect ratio, or disc-shape, 1:6 aspect ratio, with the disc more likely since its rotation doesn't require a specific orientation to see the range of brightnesses observed".

A disc with a 1:6 aspect ration wouldn't be much of light-sail. A cigar-shape would be even worse.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Whatever it is, it's not naturally occurring and it's designed to reduce atmospheric drag.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

We can't even see what it looks like (though we can deduce a bit about its shape from the way the amount of light reflected off it changes over short periods).

Claiming that it isn't "naturally occurring" is total speculation, and imagining that the shape (whatever it is) was "designed" is even sillier.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Clarke's characterisation was about the worst I've ever encountered - and I've read a *lot* of books. Clarke was first and foremost a conceptualist. He wasn't interested in characterisation in the slightest. It's almost as if characters to him were a nuisance and he paid less than minimum attention to portraying them. I wouldn't waste my time on his novels. His short stories, however, are another matter. Some of the ideas he came up with in them were nothing short of mind-blowing. My particular favourite: Time's Arrow. Sheer genius. But there are many others...

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

They've been visiting for a couple of thousand years at least. When I hear certain scientists claiming they've been looking very closely for many years and yet there's no evidence to be found remind me very much of the 'researchers' employed by the cigarette companies back in the

1950s who were supposedly engaged to discover if there was a link between smoking and cancer and yet somehow mysteriously could never find any.
Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Typical of the genre, "hard" sci-fi is about concepts. Want a story you'd read a book written by a storyteller. "Neuromancer" was a sci-fi book written by a storyteller; the main character has a Ono-Sendai Cyberspace Mk 7 portable computer. Everyone's gonna have a portable computer in the future, of course. How does it work? How do I "jack in" to the cyberspace? Who cares, engineers will figure that out.

Reply to
bitrex

Of course it also had "concepts" but the concepts tended to serve the story rather than vice-versa.

Reply to
bitrex

For Cursitor Doom's idea of "certainty" which just means that the idea appeals to him

Of course the scientists involved don't have quite the same financial motivation as the researchers employed by the tobacco companies.

If there were aliens amongst us paying scientists to turn a blind eye to the evidence of their presence, you'd expect to see some fairly rich scientists around.

Cursitor Doom doesn't seem to have bothered to identify any of these anomalously well-off people, but he's in the business of pushing other people's fatuous delusions, rather than making them sound plausible.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

:

the speculations about it's shape are based on the way it's brightness var ies with time in a way that makes it very likely that it is extended (that is, not spherical) and tumbling.

ct ratio, or disc-shape, 1:6 aspect ratio, with the disc more likely since its rotation doesn't require a specific orientation to see the range of bri ghtnesses observed".

igar-shape would be even worse.

e atmospheric drag.

s shape from the way the amount of light reflected off it changes over shor t periods).

agining that the shape (whatever it is) was "designed" is even sillier.

It's obvious to anyone the ship is coming to release a small army of Elohim to date and mate every personality disordered Earth woman they can find.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

Earth is on their Super Fund cleanup list for the mess they made their last visit.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

He does a few hour interview on the Lex Fridman podcast. GH

Reply to
George Herold

te:

- the speculations about it's shape are based on the way it's brightness v aries with time in a way that makes it very likely that it is extended (tha t is, not spherical) and tumbling.

pect ratio, or disc-shape, 1:6 aspect ratio, with the disc more likely sinc e its rotation doesn't require a specific orientation to see the range of b rightnesses observed".

cigar-shape would be even worse.

uce atmospheric drag.

its shape from the way the amount of light reflected off it changes over sh ort periods).

imagining that the shape (whatever it is) was "designed" is even sillier.

im to date and mate every personality disordered Earth woman they can find.

Curious that Cursitor Doom isn't in on this revelation.

which you have to be as dim and gullible as Cursitor Doom to take seriously . Even John Larkin hasn't fallen for it .

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

I'm hoping they'll abduct Bill. And probe him. ;->

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Its been a long time since I thought Scientific American was a reliable source of information.

It used to be a great resource.

Now it is just another popular science rag as their board chose to sell out the name aiming at the mass market, instead of educating people who appreciated having a trustworthy source.

I had a subscription as a kid, but I won't give subscriptions to my grandchildren.

John :-#(#

Reply to
John Robertson

ote:

t - the speculations about it's shape are based on the way it's brightness varies with time in a way that makes it very likely that it is extended (th at is, not spherical) and tumbling.

spect ratio, or disc-shape, 1:6 aspect ratio, with the disc more likely sin ce its rotation doesn't require a specific orientation to see the range of brightnesses observed".

A cigar-shape would be even worse.

duce atmospheric drag.

its shape from the way the amount of light reflected off it changes over s hort periods).

imagining that the shape (whatever it is) was "designed" is even sillier.

him to date and mate every personality disordered Earth woman they can find .

I think they left him off the return flight from their last visit.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

:

e:

ect - the speculations about it's shape are based on the way it's brightnes s varies with time in a way that makes it very likely that it is extended ( that is, not spherical) and tumbling.

aspect ratio, or disc-shape, 1:6 aspect ratio, with the disc more likely s ince its rotation doesn't require a specific orientation to see the range o f brightnesses observed".

. A cigar-shape would be even worse.

reduce atmospheric drag.

ut its shape from the way the amount of light reflected off it changes over short periods).

nd imagining that the shape (whatever it is) was "designed" is even sillier .

lohim to date and mate every personality disordered Earth woman they can fi nd.

My mother wouldn't have thought much of that hypothesis. Apparently I share 18.83% of my DNA with the nephew who works for Google, which doesn't suppo rt it either, and 74.4% of my DNA is British and Irish, and 20.4% French an d German, which doesn't leave much room for any extra-terrestrial contribut ion. Fred Bloggs is a trifle out of touch with reality - not as far off the planet as Cursitor Doom - but still daft.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to